Smelter Mountain

Smelter Mountain is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October.

This was not an easy trail for me. It was quite steep even though it's a relatively short hike. It took me an hour to ascend to just east of the towers. If you're the least bit wary of going down steep trails I recommend having hiking poles to assist your descent. The views from just east of the towers was spectacular. Looking north one can see Eolus and the tips of Pigeon and Turret just above Lime Mesa. Engineer and some of Twilight were visible and the La Platas were very nice as well. We went on a rather overcast, windy, cold day so we got pretty buffeted by the wind. It also kept the hiker numbers down I think.

Short and steep... and sweet. Great hike for a great view of Durango. Close to town, great for watching a sunset or sunrise.

off road driving

If you plan on driving please have a capable vehicle. Altitude was roughly 7300. Not sure about my devices' accuracy but non the less amazing views of Durango and a parallel lake or reservoir?

Sunday, September 06, 2015

My sister, friend and I hiked for the first time last month. Pretty easy hike with some rocks to contend with. Decent views of City and great exercise for the day. Took us about 3-4 hours but we stopped and took photos, etc.

geocaching