Slaughterhouse Gulch 4x4 Trail

Slaughterhouse Gulch 4x4 Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Please note this trail is not for pedestrians. Please do not attempt to run, hike, or walk on this trail. It is only meant for vehicle use. A fun hard-core loop close to Denver. Most of trail is in the trees and not very scenic. Great route for winter snow runs. (Mud bogs east of Waypoint 05 are permanently closed. Plans call for east end of F.S. 101 to open after reclamation of bogs is complete.) High Point 9,500 ft. Best time to go: June thru October. Located in Pike National Forest. For current conditions call Platte Ranger District (303) 275-5610. Difficult. Narrow, tippy and rutted with washouts, small rock obstacles, tree roots and steep sections. Not overwhelmingly difficult for a well equipped, hard-core vehicle, but enough challenge to make it interesting. Roof damage possible due to tippy section through tight trees. (Trail conditions may be easier after maintenance.) Watch for horseback riders and hikers should they venture onto this trail.

off road driving

Easy enough for our first trail since putting a 4" lift to our 4d JKU with 33s.(soon to be 35s) My husband and I split up the trail so we'd each have some fun driving. This is our 4th Jeep between the two of us;first one we've lifted ourselves, so a good "trial" run to see where we want to adjust. I could see how some mud during certain times could cause some issues, but not too bad. Nice, mellow 4x4'in trail to loop around in a couple hours.

off road driving

Very rugged and technical trail, very rocky in some spots. Make sure your clearance is high enough for some of the obstacles, although you can opt to go around some of them. Was there on Friday and seen only a couple other people, wish there was more. We went right down the first decline (or drop in) to the gulch, made it to the mid point of the trail before getting confused and decided to turn around and go back the way we came. All in all it was a great little quick and fun trail to get my feet wet.

off road driving

One of the best routes I've run on. lots of tight manuevers and crawling options. rocks are razors, hills are monsters. Don't bring a stock rig you wanna keep.

off road driving

Fun trail and in good condition after the recent rains!! You definitely need a higher clearance vehicle and 4-Lo to navigate the technical areas, but I think a stock Jeep could make the loop as long as the driver is careful/skilled with wheel placement. Most of the trail was Easy/Moderate with several stretches that had difficult sections (or you could take a “moderate” bypass). Good challenges on the difficult climbs and very scenic terrain. Looking forward to doing this one again.

1999 Jeep TJ Sport
3.5” Lift
33” wheels @ 20 psi for a smoother ride

we ran this trail yesterday.
2007 wrangler Sahara Unlimited
3.5 pro comp lift
35 in tires
32 psi
a couple of snow piles nothing you could navigate the trail was clean and easy to navigate well kept and a lot of fun. Mostly dry except in the valley. this would be easy for just about any vehicle with a moderate list. hell of a lot of fun.

off road driving

This was a fun trail for the most part. From pavement to pavement, took about 90min total. There are a few rocky spots that are fun for sure. Don’t let the difficult rating scare you off. It’s worth doing. We will go back.

2015 Rubicon

We're so disappointed! First of all, the map to get to this place was WRONG. It took us to a private residential area and had to ask someone about this place. He told us it was the other side of the highway. (Duh, map!) Then when we got there, there were a bunch of jeeps and a park ranger told us that we can still hike but have to drive slow to get to the "trailhead". With my SUV, I was barely able to go though such rough road and not even consider as a hiking trail. We turned around and left this place. This is not a hiking trail and should NOT be on here. Wasted great amount of our time!

I’m excited to get back to this trail with my Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawk. I did it a few months ago with my xterra s, 2.5in lift and good tires but no lockers or anything. Was pretty easy during most of it, but there was a spot or two that required extra attention and at a point or two I had to floor it up a hill but I didn’t get stuck. Fun trail!

off road driving

Fun trail close to Denver! There are some rocky spots, but all obstacles have easier options to get around. Lots of camping spots, some challenging rock obstacles, but overall a fun way to explore on a Saturday!

fun my 1st time in my stock 2012 Nissan frontier just 18inch rims Yokohama tires. went up left since everyone saying I might bottom out. went around on the sissy sides but made it all the way around with ease..

Not too hard. I did it in a stock 2016 Tacoma. I did use a few bypasses

off road driving

Trail is open (FS verified). Did trail yesterday. Trail has some fun technical spots (going left is easier than starting right); however, it's incredibly boring for 90% of the trail - slowly rolling over little rocks... Mind-numbing.

EASY trail. Not HARD.

off road driving

Good local to Denver Trail. I use this for shake down runs for my rig and quick get away. Especially when others like Barbour Fork are still closed seasonally. I'm headed up there again this week to drive/camp for a night. Stay on the trail and respect the private property. I've run this in my 1992 Range Rover Classic with 2" lift and 33" BFG ATs solo. There are some tip over spots you could get yourself in trouble on but just run a smarter line and you should be fine. Air down, watch for snow/ice in winter especially on the long hills in the trees, and pack out your trash.

off road driving

This trail is marked as hard it is not. I took two brand new jeepers out and they had to problem navigating the trail. They were stock and aired down. A couple areas they had really close clearance issues but were able to manage with no damage. it is a relaxing fun run to drive and get outside. Ran into a Dirt bike rider, he does not recommend this trail at all for bikes.

off road driving

This was my first “difficult” rated trail that I’ve tried. It lived p to expectation. I def had a few hair raising moments since there were some truly challenging (for a newb) terrain. Glad I did it though! I’ll be back many times this summer. Looks like some great camping spots along the trail too.
‘18 4runner TRD OFF Road w K02’s

off road driving

Really fun trail. Had a blast. I was running a stock 6 speed manual 2018 JLUR and my buddy had a stock 2016 JKUR. We had no problems even on the more difficult sections on the far side of the loop.

off road driving

Nice relaxing loop trail. Weather was decent and trail had no traffic in or out today.

first time I have been 4wheeling, had a blast. there are a couple of decent obstacles, but had no problems

04 silverado crew cab
35's
4" lift
no lockers

11 dodge ram crew cab
33's
stock

off road driving

Disclaimer: This review is based on a two wheel adventure.

I’ve heard a lot about Slaughterhouse Gulch and I’m always looking for a new place to experience on my motorcycle so I figured I’d have a look.

For those of you, like me, who long for a “motorcycle” filter on this All Trails app for now the best we can do is read reviews.

On my CRF450X I found Slaughterhouse to be very tame. Easy and unchallenged was the theme for the day. That being said, if you like fast rock scattered roads you may like it. It’s easy enough to teach new riders for about 90% of it. Expect the 10(ish) mile loop to take about 30 minutes or so, even faster if you don’t explore a little. Don’t expect beautiful mountain scenery.

Still worth 2 stars as it’s relatively close to the metro area and any day of riding is good.

Someday I may bring the Jeep up here as I’m sure that would be a MUCH different experience.

off road driving

This review is primarily for other side by side enthusiasts. This was our first trip to this trail with our RZR 900 4 seater and we had a great time. The trail has a little bit of everything including hills, rocks, and water holes. We had no problem navigating the loop with our RZR and never bottomed out once. I would rate the trail as moderate and not hard. We did the loop twice and had a picnic lunch by a nice rock outcropping overlooking the valley. I would definitely recommend trying this trail out at least once.

off road driving

was just here March 9th 2018, didnt see any closed signs. Trail was plenty open with minimal snow concentrate most on short flat sections. some fun obstacles and pull off points. completed fairly quickly in 3 inch lifted Land cruiser with 32 inch tires (didnt air down) and no lockers other than center. nothing overly difficult, would have made some of the harder obstacles easier if i had aired down. if your on the fence because of the difficulty rating, as long as you got some ground clearance, youll be fine. crow creek trail via slaughterhouse was gated off.

Great trail for fun. I drive a stock Jeep Liberty with no lift but good tires. I can make it clockwise but not the uphill (without possibly messing my vehicle up) not the uphill counterclockwise. Not great views for mountains but you are in the woods. It’s wonderful. You need 4wheel drive for sure. Great trail but more a 3 in rating 4 counterclockwise I guess. 4 hour round trip Denver to Denver with a great adventure in between. I probably shouldn’t do this trip in my vehicle so don’t imagine it’s just easy. Fun though.

off road driving

Took my 97 land rover discovery to this trail for the first time. First part of the trail is easy then there are small sections that are little harder. Generally when the trail gets harder you have a second easier option right next to it. Snow was very slippery down hill. I was in low gear while applying the brakes. Part of the uphill trail gets very hard and I had my center locker on the entire time. Great trail and will come back for more!

off road driving

A few of us took a great rzr ride today! Great weather, beautiful sky & a casual chill ride!

off road driving

Not open until April 1st. There is no gate, however signs are clearly visible that the area is closed.

off road driving

I had a 2009 Lexus gx470 with a 1.5 inch lift on 33” tires and front and rear bumpers and rock sliders. Did it on 12/23/17 in a snow storm with 4-5 inches of snow on the trail at the start. Went right at the loop. Made it 3/4 of the way through before I had to turn around and put chains on. I didn’t have my chains on the way out but I’m confident I could finish the trail with chains on or when the trail was dry. Very intense trail to do in the snow. My friend in her JK with a 3.5 inch lift on 35” tires also couldn’t make it all the in the snow. Overall amazing day and can’t wait to try it again to conquer it!!!

We live just 2 miles from Slaughter House. Take the ATV with my husband and have a blast.

87 4runner
35s
No lockers
Solid axle swap

There are areas with 2 or more paths if you choose to take the harder path. I had no problem getting through most of it.

surprisingly did this with my bro in a stock xterra did a 1/3 with my stock yj but ran out of daylight to keep going with no off road lights :/ awesome trail

off road driving

Great trail, not the most scenic drive around but it's a lot of fun. I've ran more than a few trails, first time on slaughterhouse, more difficult in places than initially expecting, but overall just right. Recommend a veehicle with 4lo, at least 1 lockers and lifted suspension.