Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail

Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Small hard-core loop trail close to Denver. A fun hard-core loop close to Denver. Most of trail is in the trees and not very scenic. Great route for winter snow runs. Watch for horseback riders and hikers. (Mud bogs east of Waypoint 05 are permanently closed. Plans call for east end of F.S. 101 to open after reclamation of bogs is complete.) High Point 9,500 ft. Best time to go: June thru October. Located in Pike National Forest. For current conditions call Platte Ranger District (303) 275-5610. Rating: Difficult. Narrow, tippy and rutted with washouts, small rock obstacles, tree roots and steep sections. Not overwhelmingly difficult for a well equipped, hard-core vehicle, but enough challenge to make it interesting. Roof damage possible due to tippy section through tight trees. (Trail conditions may be easier after maintenance.)

off road driving

awesome trail, many different terrain with different obstacles and challenges.

This was the first trail I've been on where I could actually see how far I could push my jeep I need a little more clearance and some bigger tires before I do anything crazier but it was fun.

Loved this trail. I had a blast with the few climbs and decent and the views are amazing. Only a few hard spots.

off road driving

On a whim @ 11 pm ( 08APR2017) decided to go 4x4 trailing in my 17' Taco off road FOR THE FIRST TIME. At first it was a AWESOME idea to go test out the new truck. At around 1230AM I FINALLY found Saddlestring Road made my way to the trail head gate continued to the loop STILL felling good about MYSELF... ran into a couple of locals surprisingly around 1 ish they tried warning me about the trail being my first time there. I listened to some degree but decided to go on anyways. :) I went left at the beginning of the loop made it i think half way but my confidence in myself jumped out the truck when i got to a part that was really rocky at just turned around. made my way back to the fork then went right/ the opposite way made it to the Open area and again chickened out and called it. After it was over I was happy without any regret about my new "Colorado Pinstripes" and would HIGHLY recommend BUT would advise doing it in the day light. HAVE FUN!!!!! WHOA !!!!!

off road driving

Went out on this trail last weekend 3/25/17 was awesome. Few areas looked a bit difficult but we managed with a 00 tundra with 3"lift and 33's and a friend with her bone stick pathfinder. Definitely a cool ass trail.

off road driving

we could not find the trail to go up and people more trails to not do the loop

fun

off road driving

This is a moderate trail with the random spots to push it if you feel like it. It's a fun trip to take and not that far outside of Denver. This does bring a fare amount of traffic so be prepared for that. Most 4x4s with at least stock lockers and even some without should have no big issues. The trail does change as people go up it so this can change but with some good spotting you should have fun. As in all off-roading it's a good idea to have a good backup of water and food plus a additional wheeling rig. Stock vehicles may come back with some memory marks but they make for great stories with friends. Have fun and wheel on!

off road driving

First time driving off road. Was super fun! Lost my stomach a few times but managed just fine

off road driving

Men this was my first time off road whit my Nissan Xterra i had i lot of fun driving on 4x4 i recommend this trail i really love it

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Great 4 Wheeling Spot lots of snow now beautiful
Areas.easy to get stuck so have a winch or a buddy with you in winter

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Monday, September 07, 2015

Great jeeping sesh.. Some large dips and some medium rock jeeping... Loved the puddles and water... Perfect loop to test some 4x4 w a little rock crawling...

Thursday, December 25, 2014

A decent trail that is easy and close to Denver. A great trail for snow wheeling. There are only a couple scenic vistas but its still a beautiful area. The famed mud pits are closed now but the 105 loop is open late into the year.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Rough, washed out and lacking views.... It is close to city, that's about all it has going for it

Sunday, July 03, 2011

This is good easy trail for ATVs. However, a good portion of trail #101 is closed permanently making it a very short ride. The current 2011/2012 Colorado off-road map still shows the entire #101 trail open which is misleading. The open portion of 101 is only 4 miles long and only took 15 minutes to ride out to it's furthest point. If you take the 105 loop, it adds another 25 minutes. The total trail (101 & 105 loop) only took us 45 minutes to ride. If you live close, it's a nice little trail. If you don't, it's a very short trail for the effort.