Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail

Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2017 feet

scenic driving

Small hard-core loop trail close to Denver. A fun hard-core loop close to Denver. Most of trail is in the trees and not very scenic. Great route for winter snow runs. Watch for horseback riders and hikers. (Mud bogs east of Waypoint 05 are permanently closed. Plans call for east end of F.S. 101 to open after reclamation of bogs is complete.) High Point 9,500 ft. Best time to go: June thru October. Located in Pike National Forest. For current conditions call Platte Ranger District (303) 275-5610. Rating: Difficult. Narrow, tippy and rutted with washouts, small rock obstacles, tree roots and steep sections. Not overwhelmingly difficult for a well equipped, hard-core vehicle, but enough challenge to make it interesting. Roof damage possible due to tippy section through tight trees. (Trail conditions may be easier after maintenance.)

off road driving

was just here March 9th 2018, didnt see any closed signs. Trail was plenty open with minimal snow concentrate most on short flat sections. some fun obstacles and pull off points. completed fairly quickly in 3 inch lifted Land cruiser with 32 inch tires (didnt air down) and no lockers other than center. nothing overly difficult, would have made some of the harder obstacles easier if i had aired down. if your on the fence because of the difficulty rating, as long as you got some ground clearance, youll be fine. crow creek trail via slaughterhouse was gated off.

Great trail for fun. I drive a stock Jeep Liberty with no lift but good tires. I can make it clockwise but not the uphill (without possibly messing my vehicle up) not the uphill counterclockwise. Not great views for mountains but you are in the woods. It’s wonderful. You need 4wheel drive for sure. Great trail but more a 3 in rating 4 counterclockwise I guess. 4 hour round trip Denver to Denver with a great adventure in between. I probably shouldn’t do this trip in my vehicle so don’t imagine it’s just easy. Fun though.

off road driving

Took my 97 land rover discovery to this trail for the first time. First part of the trail is easy then there are small sections that are little harder. Generally when the trail gets harder you have a second easier option right next to it. Snow was very slippery down hill. I was in low gear while applying the brakes. Part of the uphill trail gets very hard and I had my center locker on the entire time. Great trail and will come back for more!

off road driving

A few of us took a great rzr ride today! Great weather, beautiful sky & a casual chill ride!

off road driving

Not open until April 1st. There is no gate, however signs are clearly visible that the area is closed.

off road driving

I had a 2009 Lexus gx470 with a 1.5 inch lift on 33” tires and front and rear bumpers and rock sliders. Did it on 12/23/17 in a snow storm with 4-5 inches of snow on the trail at the start. Went right at the loop. Made it 3/4 of the way through before I had to turn around and put chains on. I didn’t have my chains on the way out but I’m confident I could finish the trail with chains on or when the trail was dry. Very intense trail to do in the snow. My friend in her JK with a 3.5 inch lift on 35” tires also couldn’t make it all the in the snow. Overall amazing day and can’t wait to try it again to conquer it!!!

We live just 2 miles from Slaughter House. Take the ATV with my husband and have a blast.

87 4runner
35s
No lockers
Solid axle swap

There are areas with 2 or more paths if you choose to take the harder path. I had no problem getting through most of it.

surprisingly did this with my bro in a stock xterra did a 1/3 with my stock yj but ran out of daylight to keep going with no off road lights :/ awesome trail

off road driving

Great trail, not the most scenic drive around but it's a lot of fun. I've ran more than a few trails, first time on slaughterhouse, more difficult in places than initially expecting, but overall just right. Recommend a veehicle with 4lo, at least 1 lockers and lifted suspension.

off road driving

have seen this trail run in the snow many times in a stock cherokee manual with street tires. that guy is kind of a maniac but i'm saying its doable. that being said there are definitely harder lines to take than i choose that if you were in a crazy rig, you could still have fun here. couple steep up and downs and about 4 major obstacles. if you'd like to see a video of the loop i have one up at:

took every easier route except you can skip the last 3rd-person obstacle thats opposing holes and moguls, and i believe theres a way around the last hard obstacle i film out the window.

07 ranger manual
33"
33psi
bilsteins
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Group of 3 Wranglers spent afternoon & had a great time. Although there are a few areas requiring more ground clearance than stock, I would classify this trail as moderate and not hard. Beautiful drive though.

Definitely not a hard trail. Just ran it today in my stock jeep and had an absolute BLAST! even took the dogs and they loved the trail. It was my girlfriends first time on a trail and she loved all of it and it was raining pretty bad

ran the loop Sunday with friends and wife all had a great time all jeeps and one 2wd atv made it with no problems including my wife's sock TJ

off road driving

Took the ATV around the whole loop. Some nice views, campsites & challenging areas to 4x4

off road driving

Fun off roading trail close to Denver Metro area. It's challenging enough to make you really feel like you're off roading but not so challenging that you wonder if your vehicle will survive. Some ground clearance is recommended but a spotter would suffice for the couple rough spots. 4wd low range recommended as well for these areas. The most fun parts of the trail look way worse than they drive!
Being a loop it's perfect for a day trip off roading. Including travel time both ways from SE Denver Metro Area this was a 5.5 hour excursion. Guess about 2 hours of paved roads both ways and about 3.5 hours of unpaved goodness. Well worth it.
It's a pretty enough trail but not very scenic. Very wooded and the opportunities to see some sweeping vistas are few and far between.

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift 33x12.5 tires 4.0.L 5 spd manual.
No drama, just fun!

off road driving

Loved this trail. Completed it yesterday in the light rain with a stock 02 4Runner. only about 3 tricky spots and 2 have ways around that are easier. Just make sure you scout your route. I started lower and went up. I think starting up might be easier. One loose rock hill climb had me guessing my choices.

Beats being indoors. I did a six mile trail run, mostly appears to be intended as an ATV Trail.

brought my 91 Toyota sr5 pickup all the way from Los Angeles to ride on this trail, it did not disappoint!

Great Jeep trail

off road driving

Took my '15 Willy's Wrangler here and it performed great! The trail is a lot of fun for beginners and thankfully there are some alternate routes once you get to the uphill section because a stock clearance level will NOT work out there. Don't be afraid to push yourself in these areas if you're new to off roading, just pick your lines and commit! Tons of fun, will come back again.

off road driving

Took my xj on the loop twice. Very nice trail and there are spots to camp.

Not a very exciting hike. No views. Nice little workout though.

This place is awsome! I didnt know what i was getting into, definitely a intense trail! i made threw with my ram, but if it wasnt for my upgrades i would have been stuck. make sure you have the proper stuff if you are thinking of taking a full size truck, jeeps have no problem but, trucks are too long and you can/will scrap the bottom. i thought i wad in the slaughter house untill i acually made it to the slaughter house trail. so be aware

off road driving

awesome trail, many different terrain with different obstacles and challenges.

This was the first trail I've been on where I could actually see how far I could push my jeep I need a little more clearance and some bigger tires before I do anything crazier but it was fun.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Loved this trail. I had a blast with the few climbs and decent and the views are amazing. Only a few hard spots.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

On a whim @ 11 pm ( 08APR2017) decided to go 4x4 trailing in my 17' Taco off road FOR THE FIRST TIME. At first it was a AWESOME idea to go test out the new truck. At around 1230AM I FINALLY found Saddlestring Road made my way to the trail head gate continued to the loop STILL felling good about MYSELF... ran into a couple of locals surprisingly around 1 ish they tried warning me about the trail being my first time there. I listened to some degree but decided to go on anyways. :) I went left at the beginning of the loop made it i think half way but my confidence in myself jumped out the truck when i got to a part that was really rocky at just turned around. made my way back to the fork then went right/ the opposite way made it to the Open area and again chickened out and called it. After it was over I was happy without any regret about my new "Colorado Pinstripes" and would HIGHLY recommend BUT would advise doing it in the day light. HAVE FUN!!!!! WHOA !!!!!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Went out on this trail last weekend 3/25/17 was awesome. Few areas looked a bit difficult but we managed with a 00 tundra with 3"lift and 33's and a friend with her bone stick pathfinder. Definitely a cool ass trail.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

we could not find the trail to go up and people more trails to not do the loop