Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail

Slaughterhouse Gulch Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2017 feet

scenic driving

Small hard-core loop trail close to Denver. A fun hard-core loop close to Denver. Most of trail is in the trees and not very scenic. Great route for winter snow runs. Watch for horseback riders and hikers. (Mud bogs east of Waypoint 05 are permanently closed. Plans call for east end of F.S. 101 to open after reclamation of bogs is complete.) High Point 9,500 ft. Best time to go: June thru October. Located in Pike National Forest. For current conditions call Platte Ranger District (303) 275-5610. Rating: Difficult. Narrow, tippy and rutted with washouts, small rock obstacles, tree roots and steep sections. Not overwhelmingly difficult for a well equipped, hard-core vehicle, but enough challenge to make it interesting. Roof damage possible due to tippy section through tight trees. (Trail conditions may be easier after maintenance.)

1 hour ago

I’m excited to get back to this trail with my Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawk. I did it a few months ago with my xterra s, 2.5in lift and good tires but no lockers or anything. Was pretty easy during most of it, but there was a spot or two that required extra attention and at a point or two I had to floor it up a hill but I didn’t get stuck. Fun trail!

off road driving

Fun trail close to Denver! There are some rocky spots, but all obstacles have easier options to get around. Lots of camping spots, some challenging rock obstacles, but overall a fun way to explore on a Saturday!

fun my 1st time in my stock 2012 Nissan frontier just 18inch rims Yokohama tires. went up left since everyone saying I might bottom out. went around on the sissy sides but made it all the way around with ease..

Not too hard. I did it in a stock 2016 Tacoma. I did use a few bypasses

off road driving

Trail is open (FS verified). Did trail yesterday. Trail has some fun technical spots (going left is easier than starting right); however, it's incredibly boring for 90% of the trail - slowly rolling over little rocks... Mind-numbing.

off road driving

Good local to Denver Trail. I use this for shake down runs for my rig and quick get away. Especially when others like Barbour Fork are still closed seasonally. I'm headed up there again this week to drive/camp for a night. Stay on the trail and respect the private property. I've run this in my 1992 Range Rover Classic with 2" lift and 33" BFG ATs solo. There are some tip over spots you could get yourself in trouble on but just run a smarter line and you should be fine. Air down, watch for snow/ice in winter especially on the long hills in the trees, and pack out your trash.

off road driving

This trail is marked as hard it is not. I took two brand new jeepers out and they had to problem navigating the trail. They were stock and aired down. A couple areas they had really close clearance issues but were able to manage with no damage. it is a relaxing fun run to drive and get outside. Ran into a Dirt bike rider, he does not recommend this trail at all for bikes.

off road driving

This was my first “difficult” rated trail that I’ve tried. It lived p to expectation. I def had a few hair raising moments since there were some truly challenging (for a newb) terrain. Glad I did it though! I’ll be back many times this summer. Looks like some great camping spots along the trail too.
‘18 4runner TRD OFF Road w K02’s

off road driving

Really fun trail. Had a blast. I was running a stock 6 speed manual 2018 JLUR and my buddy had a stock 2016 JKUR. We had no problems even on the more difficult sections on the far side of the loop.

off road driving

Nice relaxing loop trail. Weather was decent and trail had no traffic in or out today.

first time I have been 4wheeling, had a blast. there are a couple of decent obstacles, but had no problems

04 silverado crew cab
35's
4" lift
no lockers

11 dodge ram crew cab
33's
stock

off road driving

Disclaimer: This review is based on a two wheel adventure.

I’ve heard a lot about Slaughterhouse Gulch and I’m always looking for a new place to experience on my motorcycle so I figured I’d have a look.

For those of you, like me, who long for a “motorcycle” filter on this All Trails app for now the best we can do is read reviews.

On my CRF450X I found Slaughterhouse to be very tame. Easy and unchallenged was the theme for the day. That being said, if you like fast rock scattered roads you may like it. It’s easy enough to teach new riders for about 90% of it. Expect the 10(ish) mile loop to take about 30 minutes or so, even faster if you don’t explore a little. Don’t expect beautiful mountain scenery.

Still worth 2 stars as it’s relatively close to the metro area and any day of riding is good.

Someday I may bring the Jeep up here as I’m sure that would be a MUCH different experience.

off road driving

This review is primarily for other side by side enthusiasts. This was our first trip to this trail with our RZR 900 4 seater and we had a great time. The trail has a little bit of everything including hills, rocks, and water holes. We had no problem navigating the loop with our RZR and never bottomed out once. I would rate the trail as moderate and not hard. We did the loop twice and had a picnic lunch by a nice rock outcropping overlooking the valley. I would definitely recommend trying this trail out at least once.

off road driving

was just here March 9th 2018, didnt see any closed signs. Trail was plenty open with minimal snow concentrate most on short flat sections. some fun obstacles and pull off points. completed fairly quickly in 3 inch lifted Land cruiser with 32 inch tires (didnt air down) and no lockers other than center. nothing overly difficult, would have made some of the harder obstacles easier if i had aired down. if your on the fence because of the difficulty rating, as long as you got some ground clearance, youll be fine. crow creek trail via slaughterhouse was gated off.

Great trail for fun. I drive a stock Jeep Liberty with no lift but good tires. I can make it clockwise but not the uphill (without possibly messing my vehicle up) not the uphill counterclockwise. Not great views for mountains but you are in the woods. It’s wonderful. You need 4wheel drive for sure. Great trail but more a 3 in rating 4 counterclockwise I guess. 4 hour round trip Denver to Denver with a great adventure in between. I probably shouldn’t do this trip in my vehicle so don’t imagine it’s just easy. Fun though.

off road driving

Took my 97 land rover discovery to this trail for the first time. First part of the trail is easy then there are small sections that are little harder. Generally when the trail gets harder you have a second easier option right next to it. Snow was very slippery down hill. I was in low gear while applying the brakes. Part of the uphill trail gets very hard and I had my center locker on the entire time. Great trail and will come back for more!

off road driving

A few of us took a great rzr ride today! Great weather, beautiful sky & a casual chill ride!

off road driving

Not open until April 1st. There is no gate, however signs are clearly visible that the area is closed.

off road driving

I had a 2009 Lexus gx470 with a 1.5 inch lift on 33” tires and front and rear bumpers and rock sliders. Did it on 12/23/17 in a snow storm with 4-5 inches of snow on the trail at the start. Went right at the loop. Made it 3/4 of the way through before I had to turn around and put chains on. I didn’t have my chains on the way out but I’m confident I could finish the trail with chains on or when the trail was dry. Very intense trail to do in the snow. My friend in her JK with a 3.5 inch lift on 35” tires also couldn’t make it all the in the snow. Overall amazing day and can’t wait to try it again to conquer it!!!

We live just 2 miles from Slaughter House. Take the ATV with my husband and have a blast.

87 4runner
35s
No lockers
Solid axle swap

There are areas with 2 or more paths if you choose to take the harder path. I had no problem getting through most of it.

surprisingly did this with my bro in a stock xterra did a 1/3 with my stock yj but ran out of daylight to keep going with no off road lights :/ awesome trail

off road driving

Great trail, not the most scenic drive around but it's a lot of fun. I've ran more than a few trails, first time on slaughterhouse, more difficult in places than initially expecting, but overall just right. Recommend a veehicle with 4lo, at least 1 lockers and lifted suspension.

off road driving

have seen this trail run in the snow many times in a stock cherokee manual with street tires. that guy is kind of a maniac but i'm saying its doable. that being said there are definitely harder lines to take than i choose that if you were in a crazy rig, you could still have fun here. couple steep up and downs and about 4 major obstacles. if you'd like to see a video of the loop i have one up at:

took every easier route except you can skip the last 3rd-person obstacle thats opposing holes and moguls, and i believe theres a way around the last hard obstacle i film out the window.

07 ranger manual
33"
33psi
bilsteins
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Group of 3 Wranglers spent afternoon & had a great time. Although there are a few areas requiring more ground clearance than stock, I would classify this trail as moderate and not hard. Beautiful drive though.

Definitely not a hard trail. Just ran it today in my stock jeep and had an absolute BLAST! even took the dogs and they loved the trail. It was my girlfriends first time on a trail and she loved all of it and it was raining pretty bad

ran the loop Sunday with friends and wife all had a great time all jeeps and one 2wd atv made it with no problems including my wife's sock TJ

off road driving

Took the ATV around the whole loop. Some nice views, campsites & challenging areas to 4x4

off road driving

Fun off roading trail close to Denver Metro area. It's challenging enough to make you really feel like you're off roading but not so challenging that you wonder if your vehicle will survive. Some ground clearance is recommended but a spotter would suffice for the couple rough spots. 4wd low range recommended as well for these areas. The most fun parts of the trail look way worse than they drive!
Being a loop it's perfect for a day trip off roading. Including travel time both ways from SE Denver Metro Area this was a 5.5 hour excursion. Guess about 2 hours of paved roads both ways and about 3.5 hours of unpaved goodness. Well worth it.
It's a pretty enough trail but not very scenic. Very wooded and the opportunities to see some sweeping vistas are few and far between.

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift 33x12.5 tires 4.0.L 5 spd manual.
No drama, just fun!

off road driving

Loved this trail. Completed it yesterday in the light rain with a stock 02 4Runner. only about 3 tricky spots and 2 have ways around that are easier. Just make sure you scout your route. I started lower and went up. I think starting up might be easier. One loose rock hill climb had me guessing my choices.