Sky Pond via Glacier Gorge Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1515)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Sky Pond via Glacier Gorge Trail [CLOSED] is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,765 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. (https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm)

Hiked on 5/30/2020 and spikes and poles were required. We started by 6am and needed spikes for the last 3 miles. Coming down was very slick from melting snow.

We hiked this trail yesterday. The last three or so miles are all snow but you are able to get across it easily in most spots (we did sink several times and fall 50+). The trail is fairly discernible from all the hikers previous but is definitely more like 10-11 miles because in some spots you do have to search a little to find it. Even though it was challenging due to the snow, the views were so worth it. It took us about six hours but that’s probably because we didn’t have spikes or hiking sticks. Once we got past the falls, we saw very few other hikers. Overall, I highly recommend it!

icy

Great hike on Memorial Day of 2019! One of my favorite hikes. Hiking up the waterfall was amazing!

Awesome, and somewhat challenging!

An extension of the Loch/ Lake of Glass hike. The Rock Scramble to get to Sky Pond can be icy and slippery (hiked August 2019) but well worth the view at the top. Saw some Beautiful Elk during this hike. Pretty heavily trafficked on weekends, definitely recommend going during the week. Hopefully will be open soon!

We did this trail in July of 2019 (updating my completed list). We got to the bottom of the waterfall / scramble, and turned around there. Proud we made it that far! One of the most hiked trails in the country for a reason!

I enjoyed the trail in early spring in 2019. The trail was really great, and I made a youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPIxOFcJ5Y

icy

Micro spikes a must to get to top—climb to get to sky pond is very icy. Doable, amazing hike

Parked at Glacier gorge trailhead at 9 am with plenty of spots left. Completed this hike last summer but today was my first in the winter months. Incredibly worth it! Used miscrospikes the entire way and had no trouble at all as the trail was very packed down. A little less so on the short section between the Lake of Glass and Sky Pond but very doable. If you reach the Loch, and Lake of Glass and have trouble finding your way, I'd recommend just walking on the lakes directly across hugging the edge on whichever you choose (left for Loch and right for Lake of Glass is probably best). We went to Mill Lake on the way back with is well worth it too!

icy

Trail is pretty well packed in. I only took microspikes and was able to make it all the way up. Only post holed between Lake of Glass and Sky Pond, which is a pretty short section. Would have been nice to have an ice axe on the waterfall pitch right before Lake of Glass. As always while hiking in the mountains, bring a small pack with extra layers. It gets windy and cold up near the top.

icy

Great hike! Lake was amazing...frozen in time Mostly used micro spikes for the hike but, did use snow shoes in spots. Totally worth the effort

icy

Was able to make it up to Sky Pond with just spikes and an ice axe, brought snowshoes but never out them on. Wind was surprisingly calm. Got to the pond at 8:30am and had the whole place to myself. Awesome winter hike.