Sky Pond Trail

Sky Pond Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until October.

Take Hwy 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Road and take it to Glacier Gorge Trailhead.

Snowshoed the hike last February. Super hard. The view from the top is crazy rewarding. Want to go back when all
The snow is melted.

This is an extremely rewarding hike! We are experienced hikers, but inexperienced climbers from around 900-1,000' elevation. The lack of air was tough for us, but everything prior to Glass Lake Falls was easy (we took our time and stayed well hydrated). Climbing the water fall up to Glass Lake was intimidating, but my wife and I made it today (patiently). Going up was harder than going down. Winds were howling at 40 knots with gusts upwards to 60 - I had trouble standing! After Glass Lake, join the trail (up the ledge) to the right of the lake, it will lead you to Sky Pond (which isn't much further). We debated for about 15-20 minutes about climbing the falls (with the high winds) and spent 30 minutes eating lunch and resting for the climb down the falls. All in, it took us 8 hours total time. Well worth the journey, stay safe!

Awesome

Great trail! I'd say pretty easy to moderate all the way up to timberline falls. Climbing the falls can be a bit sketchy, but if you take a few minutes to rest and take in the beauty of the falls and the sights you can also watch other climbers. Take in how they are getting up and down the falls, and it definitely helps. Also, please be considerate of other climbers, this is by far the hardest and most dangerous part of the climb, give people time to get up or down if they are working on it for everyone's safety.
I definitely recommend getting there as early as possible to start this climb as it gets SUPER busy the later in the morning/afternoon it gets.

Perfect day and a great hike. Moderate hike with the area at the falls as the real challenge. Take it easy and slow and it is all worth it.

I hiked this starting around 9:00 a.m. and finished around 5:00 p.m. THE PRETTIEST HIKE YOU WILL DO IN RMNP!!!! Incredible!!! It is 10 miles long so plan accordingly. You'll need a lot of water--bring an extra Camelbak--you will thank yourself. Bring snacks---you are going to burn some calories on this hike...MUST DO. Something beautiful around every corner...Wrap those feet up with moleskin--lots of rocks on the trail so arch support is a must.

Trail to Sky Pond is actually closer to 10 miles round trip from either Bear Lake or Glacier Gorge trailhead. Amazing trail with awesome views and a variety of trail conditions.

What a fantastic hike! Two waterfalls (Alberta & Timberline) and one you get to climb up the side of it! The colors are starting to change and this hike was stunning from start to finish. I think this would be described as more of a moderate hike if you're from CO and in reasonably good shape. The climb up the right of the waterfall is the most challenging part and it's very do-able if you're in relatively good shape and you just take your time. My new favorite!!

A really pretty hike once you pass the Loch. I tend to avoid touristy/popular areas but I still think I would do this again. Timberline Falls were beautiful and so was Lake of Glass and Sky Pond. Its worth the scramble up the waterfall. I would rate this hike as more moderate then hard. The hardest part was climbing the falls but even that wasn't too bad. Just take your time and pace yourself.