Skunk Canyon and Kohler Mesa Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(269)
Boulder Open Space

Skunk Canyon and Kohler Mesa Loop is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 587 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that as of March 2019, this trail is partially and intermittently closed. Please see park website for the most up-to-date information. https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp

9 minutes ago

This was my first ever hike and I LOVED it! Beautiful views with shady spots along the way. Great way to start your day!

This trail was beautiful except for all the plastic bags of dog poop! I counted 8 bags today. If you bring your dogs in, please take their crap OUT!!! It’s great that you put it in plastic bags but take them with you!!!!! GROSS

Absolutely beautiful trail, only moderately trafficked for an early Wednesday afternoon. Wildflowers are blooming all over the trail

Really nice short hike! Beautiful views pretty much the entire way up and not too busy of a trail.

Great Trail! I had a great time till some Karen decided to verbally assault my friend and I for being on the trail. She wanted us to be 6 ft away from her and refused to allow us to go up the trail until we moved 6 ft off the trail. My friend nearly slipped and rolled down the hill. Just know that some of the locals aren’t the nicest. Beware of the Karens I guess lol

Beautiful trail with various views and good periods of shade. Definitely gets your heart rate up the first 1.5 miles. Street parking was fairly easy for a Saturday.

Not too heavily trafficked, mostly flat, easy inclines.

Loved this trail! Heavily trafficked but still enjoyable. Partially exposed but the perfect amount!

Beautiful trail, one of my favorites now! Heavy trafficked but people were polite when passing. Dry- only one or two spots of mud. Dog friendly. Beautiful views.

This trail offers a beautiful variety of sights - grassy fields, rocky terrain, and dense forest. Enjoyed every minute of it!

Great easy morning trail with the dog and kids! No snow or mud

Trails are dry.

This trail is normally wonderful but we attempted to go in the morning on 4/19 and the entire trail was so muddy. We had spikes and hiking boots and my spikes kept getting so full of mud that they stopped working and I ended up sliding EVERYWHERE. Give this trail some time to dry up!

icy

Slipping and sliding around on 4/19! Overall it was an enjoyable early afternoon hike, but be warned, a majority of the way up (and down) is filled with a super muddy trail. It was a relatively warm day for the area as well, and this resulted in a lot of snow-melt occurring; this created a small flowing creek (2-3 inches of water) where part of the trail was. If you're wearing boots or good hiking shoes you should be fine, otherwise I'd wait this out for several days. Great views at and around the top, and the area in general is beautiful.

Nice little hike!

Nice trial with mild difficulty. Some up hill but nothing steep. Amazing views and a small creek at the beginning. No water after that.

Beautiful trail. Some muddy spots but for the most part dry. Hiked this in regular gym shoes.