Silver Lake Trail

Silver Lake Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Howardsville, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

This area has a rich history in the mining era of Colorado. This was a very busy spot back in the day. You can drive up Arrastra Gulch until you get to the 1st switchback, which is where I parked, and start to hike from there. The road is pretty steep beyond here to the next switch, and then becomes really steep from that 2nd switch to the old mine site. I was slipping on the rocks on the road just walking. I would not want to drive this section in any kind of 4 x 4 vehicle. Kinda sketchy at best. Once you're at the mine area, you can see a faint trail going beyond. It's up some loose rocks which makes the going a little slow. It's steep too. I got about half way to the lake, and it started to rain so I turned around. I will return some day to go the whole way as it's not that long of a hike. Great views in the gulch and all over. This is really close to Silverton too, so if you're looking for a fairly easy day hike, this one has easy access.