Silver Lake Trail

Silver Lake Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Howardsville, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this trail this last September. Drove all the way to Mayflower Mine where the trail takes off up the valley. The last quarter mile of the road was difficult (had a Jeep). Would not recommend this for inexperienced drivers.
Loved this hike! I’m 71 years old and found most of the hike quite easy. The most difficult part for me was making my way up the very steep part that gets you in the upper basin. Fixed steel cable and climbing rope makes it much easier, but it made me question if doing this hike alone was wise.
The lake is beautiful and the ruins are fun to explore.

I actually went up the road to Little Giant Basin to the east. Not sure why it isn't listed as its own hike. Wonderful views, lots of cool old mining structures.

I was only able to make this in Feb b/c of the lack of snow this year. This would've been feet deep on any other year, making it largely impassable or just too dangerous to attempt.

We just completed this hike in the beginning of winter (not advised). It’s really steep, slippery and the narrow trail cuts along the side of the mountain almost the entire way. The views are amazing and it’s worth it to head up to the top and see the ghost town. One of the coolest and hardest hikes I’ve done! Would be more manageable without snow and ice on the ground :)

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

This area has a rich history in the mining era of Colorado. This was a very busy spot back in the day. You can drive up Arrastra Gulch until you get to the 1st switchback, which is where I parked, and start to hike from there. The road is pretty steep beyond here to the next switch, and then becomes really steep from that 2nd switch to the old mine site. I was slipping on the rocks on the road just walking. I would not want to drive this section in any kind of 4 x 4 vehicle. Kinda sketchy at best. Once you're at the mine area, you can see a faint trail going beyond. It's up some loose rocks which makes the going a little slow. It's steep too. I got about half way to the lake, and it started to rain so I turned around. I will return some day to go the whole way as it's not that long of a hike. Great views in the gulch and all over. This is really close to Silverton too, so if you're looking for a fairly easy day hike, this one has easy access.