Silver Dollar Lake Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(414)
Arapaho National Forest

Silver Dollar Lake Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 774 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Guanella Pass Road is seasonally closed around Nov. 26, and reopens on Memorial Day weekend at Naylor Lake on the Clear Creek County side and Burning Bear Campground on the Park County side.

Good hike, still many snow fields. If you have a 4WD drive to the trailhead!

This trail is beautiful, but there is still a lot of snow and would best be done later in the summer. I would recommend spikes and poles if you’re going to hike it anytime soon. The snow is packed down well in some areas, but other areas I ended up postholing waist deep. Overall, still an amazing trail, and looking forward to hiking it again when the snow clears.

Still a lot of snow above the tree line but it is passable. The trail can be a little hard to follow when you first get out of the trees so make sure to look for the tracks in the snow from others. Lakes are still frozen over but flowers are starting to come out and the views were amazing.

This is definitely a mid/late summer hike, the lakes are still frozen. A nice walk in the woods regardless, no problems with postholing as the snow has been packed down so your feet wont fall through. Will be doing this one again later in the season!

I wished I had my spikes in a couple sections, trail still has some snow on it. Beautiful hike, will definitely do it again this summer.

Snowshoe with Marlee mom and Erika

Hiked on Saturday 1/11/2020. Arrived at noon and both small parking lots were full, but oddly enough, we only ran into two other groups hiking out as we were headed in. Guanella Pass road is closed at the Naylor Lake winter trailhead parking, so it's possible that other visitors were walking on the closed road. My husband cross-country skied the trail while I snowshoed. Snowshoes were not necessary on the first approximate 1.2 miles to the Naylor Lake overlook. It was lightly snowing during our entire hike and once we continued left and uphill past the Naylor Lake overlook, the wind was much worse. The wind seemed to almost completely erase the tracks of previous hikers and even when we were following previous tracks, they didn't seem like the correct trail since we were going over the tops of bushes/trees and rock fields many times. In most cases, we were just heading west on a path that seemed most do-able. I've done this hike in the summer and the trail is really narrow and steep past the Naylor Lake overlook, so it makes sense that there isn't much of designated trail to follow in the winter. We had to stop shortly past the end of Naylor Lake since it was getting too cold and windy and we couldn't see much in terms of a view anyway with all the snow. Would love to go back on a day when the visibility is better and the views make the extra haul past the Naylor Lake overlook a little more worth it.

icy

Hiked on 1/4/2020. I recommend wearing snowshoes, but you could probably get away with good boots or microspikes on the first part of the trail. Once you hit the Naylor Lake overlook, the snowshoes become a must. Layer up - those winds are chilly! Absolutely gorgeous.

One of the best hikes I’ve done! Beautiful views. I went during the summer so not sure how it’d be now. Some areas of the path are very narrow - but other than that it’s definitely on my top 5!

Snowshoes are a must after the view of Naylor Lake. You will come into an opening. Naylor has a picture spot to the right. The trail is to the left and continues in the trees. Some have made a shortcut coming straight down the hill on way out, but left trail is more moderate. From there it's straight to the back of the bowl. Will lose trail from time to time, but just look ahead... hard to miss in distance.

Recommend snow shoes for sure (the snow was up to our waists in some spots)! It was a lot of fun and the views were amazing.

We just did a short hike in through the snow to the trailhead. We had a 2 year old with us. So this was a beautiful hike and the perfect distance. Loved it!

we hiked this with out-of-towners on 10/19/19. it was sunny and windy! the trail was fairly busy with hikers and pups! we brought our dog as well. she is knew to hiking and did just fine on this trail. we stopped and parked before the trailhead adding on around .5 miles to and from the trailhead(total of 1 mile added). Glad we did because that .5 miles is very uneven and I believe even our Subaru outback would have bottomed out.

Great trail, a little snowy from Thursday’s storm. If your car doesn’t have clearance, be sure to park in the first lot you pass. About .5 miles away from the TH.

Parked near the main road which is fine. Great hike! Will do it again.

Made it up the road in a Nissan Rogue awd with no problem. Trail was easy to follow and beautiful!

Absolutely beautiful! Parking lot was full by 10:30 AM on Saturday, October 5th. Leaves/foliage we’re at peak and the whole hike was stunning. Parking at the bottom off Guanella rather than the actual trailhead really only adds about .75 mile to the hike, and its pretty! Overall -VERY rocky and a steady incline, but truly breathtaking 360 views once you hit Naylor and Up to Silver. Lots of unleashed dogs on the trail, unfortunately, but most parts of the trail were wide enough for all. The rocky landscape and color of the water made for some fantastic pictures. Wind is whipping at Silver, so dress warmly as I had three layers on top, gate and gloves and still was chilly! Absolutely worth it though and at a good pass, takes about 2 hours.

Great trail and great Lake views, but very rocky and not smooth at all with a moderately decent climb.

Although, the hike offers amazing lake views, 3 to be exact but it’s definitely hard to follow. It’s not well marked at all even with the blue markers on some of the trees. Anyone can do the hike, it’s not challenging. No nearby restrooms at least I didn’t see any. Limited parking spaces and extremely rocky. I had to park across the way and hike a half mile to get to the trailhead not too bad overall.

Beautiful lake but continue up to Murray lake . Great moderate hike.

It’s really Silver Dollar trail and you see Naylor on the way up. So to Silver Dollar and back it’s telling me 3.3 miles. Trail was perfect, doggy loved it, quite windy on the top so bring a windbreaker. Definitely will do it again

Great hike. Semi challenging. Nice incline ok the way up. Three lakes, gorgeous.