Silver Dollar Lake Trail

Silver Dollar Lake Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montezuma, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6/9/18 - park down at the base unless you’re game for a bumpy ride to the trailhead. Walking to the trailhead and back adds about 0.8 miles. Mud and slush at some places, but beautiful views.

Perfect weather 6/9. No need for microspikes or anything, just a couple smaller patches of snow that get a bit slushy and muddy later in the day. We made it up to the higher 3rd lake and parked at the bottom of the dirt road, which made the hike about 5.5 miles in total. A beautiful morning excursion, gorgeous views. Bring a windbreaker!

The only reason this didn't get a 5 star is I didn't make it to the end because of weather. I started the hike at the parking lot near the road. Pretty uneventful hike up the road, but once you get to the trailhead, it's a nice walk through he woods. There are still some snow traverses that need to be made on the switchbacks right before the views of Naylor Lake open up. And speaking of views, what a glorious one it is! I went a little further up the trail but weather started to develop so I had to turn back. I bet the views of Naylor Lake from Silver Dollar Lake are out of this world. I'd like to finish this hike one day.

Completed this hike this AM and it was amazing! Awesome hike to bring guest visiting because the views are incredible and it’s not to challenging. Still some snow but we were fine in our hiking boots. The road to the trailhead (off the pass) isn’t too rough either. Will be doing this again!

Pretty and very full of snow right now 5/25. I should’ve brought snowshoes! Ended up being 6 miles because our car wouldn’t make it up the dirt road (0.5 mile).

Absolutely gorgeous hike. The snow can be a bit challenging in the spring months but the views are worth the effort. My group and I had lunch right next to Silver Dollar Lake and it’s hard to think of a more perfect and peaceful setting.

Had the place to ourselves just about the entire way up and back. Just my pup any myself enjoyed tromping through several feet of snow late last fall. A great hike for all. About 3/4 of the way becomes slightly more difficult as the trail narrows on the side of the mountain. Cheers!

Trail was packed snow, which made snowshoeing very easy and fun. We had high winds so we weren’t able to make it to the other side of the ridge; we made fresh tracks as far as weather allowed.

This is a tough winter hike, we used Yaks but many wore snowshoes and snow pants. The views are rewarding, I'm sure even more so in Spring.

Definitely enjoyed this hike!

The drive in was spectacular and you’ll most definitely need to park at the 0.7 mile marker before the trailhead. There’s no driving up that road even with an AWD; I have a subi and another guy had a monster Jeep with huge snow tires and couldn’t drive up. No worries; it’ll just add some extra distance on the hike!

The weather was perfect today! The snow is thick but it’s not too icy so you should be fine with some good hiking boots! Spikes are definite must on some of the inclines though!

The scenery was great and I’d highly recommend this hike to anyone!

Already snowy! Should have worn my winter boots.

Beautiful hike. Two lakes to see. Easy path!

Awesome hike that covers a lot of "wants" streams, forest, lake, 4x4 optional drive to get to the trail head and proximity to Denver. Will be bringing friends to do again!

Did this hike about a month ago by myself and loved it ! Gorgeous views and two lakes all above the tree line ! Would def do again

Beautiful views for the entire hike once you pass the first lake. Nice moderate trail. Recommend four wheel drive to get all the way to the trail head but you can park at the bottom and walk the 1/2 mile up the access road to the trailhead (and that ended up being the hardest part of the hike!).

Great moderate hike with a nice payoff if terraced lakes and a great view. Highly recommended.

Beautiful Hike! 3 lakes!

Gorgeous views throughout the hike. Went on June 25 and there was still some snow through the trial. The micro spikes definitely came in handy but many people were fine without them too.

recorded silver dollar lake