Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail

Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,062 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Directions from Georgetown: From the Georgetown I-70 exit, #228, follow the signs for Guanella Pass through Georgetown. On the first dirt road past Guanella Pass Campground (9 miles) turn right. (At this point if you do not have a 4 wheel-drive vehicle, please park your car here) Go up this dirt road about 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

I hiked this on 7/14 and it is one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. It is however extremely muddy at some points once you get up about halfway. Also this hike is about double the length that is stated if you hike all the way to the top lake.

Hiked 7/13, a Saturday. Very busy after about 10 AM. I started at 7 AM and spent time at the lakes. I wish I wouldn’t have listened to the reviews about the road to the trailhead. I parked my Jeep at the road and could’ve easily made it up to the trailhead. There were Hondas and other small cars that made it up the road. So that added another .7 miles to and from for me. The actual trail is amazing. There are still 5 or 6 snow crossings. I was fine in hiking shoes, without poles. Lots of unleashed pups so if that bothers you, this trail isn’t for you. I did all 3 lakes. Murray lake is a little steep but short. The wildflowers are just starting to come out. Bugs weren’t horrible but there were a few. Bring sunscreen. I forgot mine and got the worst sunburn of my life. Pack a lunch and enjoy the lake views! Still pretty muddy near the end.

Great hike! Parts were muddy and still had a few snow crossings. Took our kids and they loved it.

Road is OK, not the best road ever but easily doable in almost any car with decent clearance. Doubt 4WD is necessary. We saw a civic at the upper lot but I’d only recommend experienced drivers attempt it with low clearance vehicles. Trail is nice, very muddy in spots. Have to cross a few small snowfields but it’s nothing to worry about. Not many flowers yet.

Great Hike today! Still snow and pretty muddy in parts but wasn't too bothersome. Great views.

Beautiful hike up to Silver Dollar Lake today-7/14/19. Parked at the lower parking lot and hiked up to the trailhead. Some snow crossings on the trail (about 4) and very muddy nearer to Silver Dollar. Did not go up to Murray due to the lake spilling over and only had hiking sneakers on. Wildflowers were starting to burst. Very beautiful. Upper lot was full by 930am.

Beautiful trail with several snow crossings that were easily crossed. streams for the dogs. Some muddy spots, but ways around them. views are amazing and started to see some wildflowers.

got there around 7:30am on wednesday and shared the trail with only 1 other person until around 9am. what a beautiful trail. highly recommend. Park off the pass and not at the trailhead unless you have 4wd and decent clearance.

One of our favorite hikes. Hiked it again yesterday and of course it was awesome. Wildflowers are starting but definitely not in full bloom up there. There are still a few easy snow crossings. Hoping wildflowers will be out in full maybe in a couple weeks. We parked at the upper lot but be warned the road up there is the roughest that we have seen it.

Nice easy hike. Took 2 hours round trip to complete. About a 1,000 in elevation. Still about six to eight snow passes and lots of mud. Weather turned about 10-10:30. Cold and grey. But nice to get out there.

Trail was in great condition given all of the snowpack we still have. Muddy in a few spots, 5 or so snow crossings, but no post holding. Made it to the top parking lot at 8:30am in a Ford Focus with a few spots remaining. Hike took about 2 hours with some stopping, only went up to Silver Dollar.

Hiked this on 7/4 and it was amazing!! Be wary that the upper parking lot you may need a better off-road vehicle for. There were some steep patches of snow but was manageable with just hiking boots. The lakes are freshly thawing up and even saw a couple of people fishing. All the scenery was gorgeous, plants were blooming, it was very green and lush.

This trail is awesome under normal conditions. Unfortunately this last winter hasn’t been kind to the area. Impassable past Murray lake due to snow drifts

Easy hike to Naylor Lake, but soft knee-to-thigh deep snow beyond. Snowshoes basically required to make it to Silver Dollar and Murray.

I love this trail in the summer and fall – but the late snows made my attempt impossible today! The official trail that leads to the Naylor Lake overlook and then to Silver Dollar was totally buried and we couldn’t find any trail markers beyond the first one. We ended up following the tracks of some xc skiers way off course for about two miles and then turning around. We looked super hard for the trail but couldn’t find much sign of it. Also the road off Guanella Pass up to the trail head is closed which adds a mile each way.

4/28: as the rest of the reports say the road remains close to the upper trailhead and probably will be for quite some time. Trail was fairly packed down although used snowshoes and made things easier. Very deep snow in some part so definitely recommend snowshoes. Only made it up to the opening above tree line before Mother Nature decided to take over, turned around before the storm got worse. Trail gets a little tricky to follow once at the opening as well.

Got to the end of the maintained road at 7:45. In the snow season you have to hike .7miles in to the official trailhead. Got back down at 1:15, moving at a slow to moderate pace. The views are stunning and well worth the climb. We had yak tracks and snowshoes- bit never bother to put our snowshoes on even though we pole holed a couple of times. The trail becomes harder to find the farther up you get. After we got to silver dollar there were no more tracks to follow up to the last lake- so we just climbed straight up the slope and slid down on our butts! We decided to slide all the way down to Naylor lake, and then followed the lake to the end of the Naylor lake trailhead. From there we met back up with the silver dollar trailhead.