Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail

Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Directions from Georgetown: From the Georgetown I-70 exit, #228, follow the signs for Guanella Pass through Georgetown. On the first dirt road past Guanella Pass Campground (9 miles) turn right. (At this point if you do not have a 4 wheel-drive vehicle, please park your car here) Go up this dirt road about 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

BEAUTIFUL trail! There are great views the entire way. If you do not have a high clearance vehicle you'll have to hike about .5 miles to the trailhead.

One of the better 2 hour hikes in Colorado

Amazing views. Just hard enough to challenge the kids. Muddy in places but nothing terrible.

If you want to get to the main trailhead it's easier if you have a high clearance vehicle.

Such a great hike. I live in Denver and this was one of my favorite Sunday morning hikes to date. Not a very difficult hike but lots of beautiful views!!

some snowfields and mud, gorgeous, saw pikas in the talus and marmots near the lakes

This hike so sooo beautiful! It reminded me of The Hobbit/LOTR up top. Bring plenty of bug spray especially for up top at Murray Lake and then waterproof shoes are your best friend! Very muddy in some spots and you cross about 2 streams. One of my favorites. When parking, don't park right off Guanella Pass where the map is. You drive up for about half a mile on the dirt and then there's a turnoff (I guess you call it) and the trail starts right there. It also wasn't heavily trafficked at all... only two other cars when we went

Great hike!! Views are fabulous!! Still a little snow but not bad.

Very beautiful hike! It was difficult to me to the end because of the elevation. Parking is easy to find but not at the trailhead. It adds 2mils from the parking to the trailhead though. Worth it!

This was our first hike out in this area. We started around 645am and only saw one other person on the way up but there were several people fishing at Murray Lake when we arrived. We were in a civic so we parked in the lower lot and walked up the 4WD road to the trailhead. The sign in the parking lot said the trailhead was 1.75 miles up the road but really it was more like .5miles. Not sure why the discrepancy there.

It was a really pretty trail with great views. There were a few muddy places and some packed snow but we managed just fine in running shoes (just moved here). The most challenging part was the incline from Silver Dollar Lake to Murray Lake. Great trail, we will definitely go back!

Was a pretty tough hike for the hubby and I. I didn't have the right boots on and was feeling a little sick. Plus hubby had to carry our baby boy, don't know how he did that. But in the end it was all worth it.

I only hiked to the first lake because of a possible storm.

Now is the time to do this trail to appreciate the full spectrum of what it has to offer. ALL wild flowers are in full bloom and are booming. There is still a pleasant amount of snow but it's melting quick and making the small snow trail passes to be a little dangerous.

But with the rain season coming it's going to get weird and the road up to the trail head has changed dramatically since I was there last and that was a week ago! Lots of snow melt and rain coming

Watch your step through shallow snow pockets on top of hidden rocks. Don't want to get hurt!

Great hike. I made it to the first lake in 45 minutes and i made a few small stops along the way.

Fishing at the lakes as well! Enjoy

Great hike for moderate hikers! 4 miles from 4x4 parking lot = 1 hr 35 min up, 1 hr down. Hike all 3 lakes because the view on the way back is the whole reason for the hike. It is stunning.

Hiked to Silver Dollar Lake on the 4th of July. We parked off of Guanella pass and did not drive to the trailhead which put us at about 4.5 miles round trip to just Silver Dollar Lake. A few snowy patches left but packed down and easy to hike through. An absolutely beautiful hike filled with wildflowers, streams and gorgeous trees. Once you are above tree line, gorgeous peak top views.

RANT: Dog owners - pick up your poop bags! With our backpacks, my dog and I hauled out 12 bags of poop from the trail and trailhead. Don't leave them by the side of the trail thinking you will pick it up on your way back (you will forget or might be unable to find it). There are no trash facilities at this trailhead and parking area so pack it all out - don't leave it at the signs in the parking lot.

Awesome views! A little muddy in spots but great hike!

Gorgeous hike, nicely maintained trail, does not pass waterfalls so you have to venture off trail for those. Some snowfields, all easily crossed without cleats. Bring a jacket. Some mud but easily avoided in sneakers.