Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail

Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Georgetown: From the Georgetown I-70 exit, #228, follow the signs for Guanella Pass through Georgetown. On the first dirt road past Guanella Pass Campground (9 miles) turn right. (At this point if you do not have a 4 wheel-drive vehicle, please park your car here) Go up this dirt road about 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

Breath- taking hike, and didn’t see a single other person. 4 wheel drive road is closed, adds a little under a mile each way to the hike. Snowshoes helpful, but not necessary. Pretty easy trail to follow, but helpful to have a gps/map to find the last lake, as the trail was unmarked.

Please read this before going, as none of these reviews fully prepared us! There is NO trail to follow. Only footprints if you are lucky. This hike is very dangerous. We were up to our waist in snow at some points, even when Denver was having an 80 degree day. We passed a bunch of hikers in shorts and T-shirt’s. Again, no one was prepared. The hike up to the trailhead was steep, but that’s not even the beginning. If you are lucky to make it to the first frozen over lake, the views are stunning. We went a little further but had to stop due to too many risks involved. There were several pairs of hikers that did the same, even a group of guys with snowshoes.

Beautiful snow covered trail just don't venture off snow is about 3-4 feet deep. hiked it today in just normal hiking boots.

Snowshoes were needed for this hike. Some spots had avalanche risk. It was a beautiful hike. Also a great place for backcountry skiing.

Used snowshoes on a well-packed trail to Naylor Lake. The trail to Silver Dollar is rocky and right near avalanche possibilities (that was our opinion, however, the amount of snow up on the mountains is not significant due to high winds.) It's a short hike up but with the help of alltrails.com, we were able to trek in the deep stuff off trail on the way down. We just had fun and meandered in the 3 ft. of snow off-trail. Thanks AllTrails! We didn't stray too far from the trail either but you don't want to get lost out there!

Hiked in snowshoes. Not heavily traveled today. Nice out and back to view the frozen lake. Highly recommend the trail.

Hiked on 1/18. Guanella pass rd closed at silver lake trailhead. Nice uphill all the way to the lakes- bring your skis or a sled to ride the all the way back down to the parking lot!!

Hiked on Sunday Nov 26th. Lots of snow on the ground. Was still hikeable with hiking boots fitted with crampons although snow shoes would work better. Went until Silver Dollar Lake. Gorgeous views all along. Noyler lake and Silver Dollar lakes were both completely frozen. Clear skies. Not too many people on the trail. The approach road to the trailhead was closed due to the snow. Had to hike an additional mile each way from the parking location at the intersection of Guanela pass road and Noyler lake road to the trailhead (the onward route was uphill).

Hiked the day after thanksgiving. It was snowing and there was plenty of snow on the ground. We were able to hike with our hiking boots but did not go to the top. We had to hike (1 mike) to the trailhead bc of the snow and ice on the dirt road and then hiked about another mile before we turned back. The views and snow were gorgeous and were worth it! Our dogs had a blast.

Absolute gorgeous hike on Thanksgiving Day. I had the whole overlook of Naylor Lake to myself.
I’ve only lived in CO for two months and this hike was by far the most demanding I’ve done. I was definitely winded by the time I reached the lake and took about an hour to relax and take in the stunning views with my dog. She did just fine! PS- I could not find a trash receptacle at the trailhead. Pack an extra ziplock if you have a dog. Can’t wait to return in the spring.

Short off road drive. Good trail. Plenty of wind, snow and ice 10/28

Made it up to the first lake-way too windy to keep going. The trail was covered in snow and ice (early Oct) and yaktrax were definitely needed. If you bring your dog, there are no garbage cans for poop. This hike was recommended as a “fall hike”... it’d definitely be better in the summer.

Gorgeous lake views and multiple scenic overlooks. Already plenty of snow on the trail as of September 30th, some of which has turned icy and slick, so be careful! Higher altitude, so expect to experience some shortness of breath while ascending. The views of the lake and snow capped mountains at the top are so worth it!

Fresh powder! No more than 6" of snow in the deepest spots, though. It was already packed down and melting in places on our way back down (which made for a few slick spots).

Very steep hike. Need to drive up mountain about 8 miles before reaching trailhead. If you do not have a four-wheel drive vehicle you should probably park on a dirt path about a mile before the actual trailhead. You will have extreme difficulty getting up this road without messing up your car. The first half of the hike is within the forests mainly and then the last half is much more open out in the mountains with views of lakes along the way. The trail was very rocky so be prepared. When you are approaching the top near silver dollar Lake it will get very cold and very windy especially if you continue on to Murray Lake. The views are very amazing and you are roughly 12,000 feet elevation.

Definitely worth it for the views. It was pretty windy above the tree line.

Great hike went on a week day so the trail was pretty much empty .... highly recommend it.

This trail is pretty heavily trafficked. Were on the trail by 8, back down by a little before 11 and both parking lots were full. Some pretty views and babbling brooks. It was a pretty hike.

Took some friends that came in town out to this trail for both my and their first time doing it. Trail was awesome. Truly moderate difficulty as we stopped a handful of times to rest but the trail is very well maintained and offered great views. They don't do this often, but were all "wowed" with what this trail had to offer. Recommend!

Very worthwhile, super beautiful. I would call it easy rather than moderate. One thing to note: last few miles of driving to the trailhead are on a super rough dirt road. Probably no problem in any SUV, but I was in a cheap little car and scraped the bottom several times.

Beautiful hike! The views of the lakes were stunning. We traveled from KS and a few of us had to take it slow due to altitude but we made it and it was so worth it!

Great views on the way there and back. The second lake at the end isn't very impressive but the route back from it offers some great views at high elevations. Pretty busy on a Sunday (Labor day wknd) which was expected. There wasn't a time that we didn't run into folks on the path.

Most people had their pups on leash with all different kinds of breeds faring well on this trail.

Great hike! We arrived early on a Saturday but by the time we were on our way back down the trail was really busy. The lakes were beautiful. It is worth the extra hike up the hill to Murray Lake.

I  did this hike on Friday June 23rd. It was a great hike and not too difficult although at times you did have to work for the views. Beautiful scenery overlooking mountains and lakes. There was a decent amount of snow on the day that I went but nothing too deep. I got across in standard hiking shoes without hiking poles. I camped overnight toward the bottom of the trailhead and Hiked Mt bierstadt the next day. Loved this hike!

Still has beautiful flowers. Lots of streams and water for your dog.

Pretty hike big views water reflections. The drive to trail would've been better if I was driving a high clearance car but I didn't lose the spoiler. I did bottom the frame on the way down. Got rained and hailed on but forged onward for a lovely bite to eat and great photos back down. This was a perfect distance for an afternoon hike after setting up camp.

Did this today, but went on to do Argentine Pk, for a total of 7.1 mi, 2805' vert gain. Nice, scenic hike; fairly challenging if you include Argentine. Saw a bald eagle, who even posed for us. Road to the TH is pretty rough, but doable by an Outback.

One of my favorite hikes. Lots of views once you pass the first lake. Wildflowers and animals all around. Dogs are allowed, but many people did not follow the rules with the leashes and dogs where ruining the tundra. I was not a big fan of that! We parked at the trailhead and walked the dirt road, which added another mile. That was still okay. We did see plenty of non-4 wheel drives at the second trailhead though.

Love this hike! Huge views & lakes!

Awesome hike with beautiful lakes !! Bring a jacket and waterproof shoes deff muddy at the top . Lost the trail on the way back and got lost in the woods be careful !!!!