Shrine Ridge Trail

Shrine Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Gorgeous little area, nice view from the top! Had my blood pumping but was still easy for sure.

My first Colorado hike, back in August. The whole experience was nothing short of amazing! The views were impeccable, and the journey to the summit was clear, with views for days!

A perfect hike and the climb is well worth the views. I started in the morning on a Saturday and by the time I made my way down (near noon) the trail was much busier, so if you’re looking for less people on the trail, go in the morning. The road leading to the trail is a pretty well maintained dirt road, my small Toyota Yaris was able to make it driving slow. The incline is good, a nice workout. Towards the top the trail gets a little confusing and seems to branch off into different directions but they all lead to the top. Great hike and I will definitely do this one again in the future!

A seemingly normal hike but ended up with incredible views once you are along the ridge! A fairly steady incline but nothing that is not doable. Once you get to the top of the ridge, you can go right or left depending on your mood. We went right and had really great views of rock formations as well as mountains for miles(blue sky day with no clouds). Did not have enough time to check out the other side but I presume it gives a better look at Mt. Holy Cross. Easily one of the better hikes if you just want a short moderate trail.

Beautiful hike very scenic at every turn, especially beautiful wildflowers in the spring.

Had a beautiful hike this morning. Left the parking lot at ten and saw a few people along the way. Trail started to get busy at noon. There were a few slightly tricky areas, but for the most part was just gorgeous views .. would love to try again when the meadows are in bloom. Being an out of shape flat lander from Texas, I was breathing pretty hard on the way up, but it was worth every huff and puff. This is the most scenic hike I have done and it is even prettier than Ptarmigan Loop at the top of Vail Mountain

Hiked 9/8/18 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. A relatively easy outing for my first day in CO. The trail was busy but not crowded. Scenery was good with yellow willows and many mountains around. However, the good mountains were all rather distant and had no snow.

Gorgeous! Nice length. Elevation changes aren’t crazy, but more gradual with some shorter, steeper areas. I couldn’t run up the scramble you will see to the left of the ridge onto the rock formation. Good excuse to sit and relax before going back.

Did this hike 3 days ago and it was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. The ridge was beautiful and we actually walked about 1.5 mile along south spur. The fall colors and views were magnificent. Watched a marmot for quite awhile. Splendid!!!

Absolutely stunning views and very fun hike up to the top!

Always a beautiful hike! The views at the top are amazing, why we love living in Colorado. Moderate climb, and worth doing many times.

Not many aspens but very nice hike without lots of people

Great hike with some 360 degree views and fun scrambling.

We were the group on the ridge! Thanks for posting the pic!

To the group on the ridge if you want your pics sent to you plz request with your text no. Or email.

Beautiful hike as always. This was a clear wonderful day. Moderate hike with options to go to the ridge come back and go towards Cooper mtn up the ridge with amazing views 360. To the group that crossed the hike, here are your pics. Enjoy.

This was an amazing hike! We are from the Kansas City area and did this as our first hike of our trip a few days ago. I recommend getting a can of oxygen if you aren't acclimated to the altitude. We started the trail around 8 AM and saw not a soul until our way back down. There is plenty of parking. We also spotted a couple of horses grazing near the top. The weather can change quickly up at the top so bring a rain jacket.

This is a beautiful trail and is easy/moderate for a family looking to enjoy a hike together. The trail is easy to follow and if you turn to the right at the top, you’ll see some truly amazing rock outcroppings that are spectacular. Listen for the whistles of the marmot locals...if you are lucky, you may see pikas too. Still have energy to hike more? Cross over to the other peak and view sheep grazing. This is a beautiful day hike. Wildflowers are gone, but the trees should be turning colors soon. Take rain gear and extra jackets in case the weather changes.

Beautiful trail! Lots of terrific views...east/west/all around! We are from sea level, so going up on day two here was a little bit difficult...but worth it! We did survive! Go all the way to the rock formations and explore a bit! We had a picnic up there. Enjoyed the hike and views! Heavily trafficked trail when we were there!

Beautiful trail. Moderate climb but well worth it.

Good trail that is not too steep. Gorgeous rock formations at the top. Not many wildflowers were remaining by the end of August.

had a great hike! definitely a challenge for someone that just came up from KS, but doable for sure and the views are worth every bit of it! took me about 2hr and 15min. you’re pretty exposed so i would start early to avoid crowds and the warmer parts of the afternoon.

Probably the easiest trail around Vail. Very moderate incline and rewarding, beautiful views. If you're looking for an easy, pretty hike while visiting, I would pick this over Booth Falls! This trail is normally extremely crowded, but I went on a cloudy Friday evening around 5 PM, and there was only 1 other car at the trailhead. Please don't feel the wildlife and no there is no designated picnic area at the bottom.

Is there a picnic area at the bottom for lunch after?

My husband and I arrived from Kansas City on Thursday and hit this trail on Friday. We had Quandary Peak on our Saturday agenda so wanted a scenic but reasonably high altitude hike to help us acclimate. This trail was very enjoyable with some moderately steep sections but lots of mild areas too. So many stunning views along the way. We found a ledge to rest at the top for a snack, and were greeted by a fat little chipmunk that shared our snack straight from my husband’s hand. Such a treat!

Another note:
Geo Markers (2) located at 39.53518, -106.25963

First of four hikes we did in the area around Vail and still the best. Beautiful hike with lots of variation and great views. It was also the first hike after spending a week at sea level. Jumping up to 12k ft without acclimating was a challenge. Also, this hike was done on a Monday morning around 0845, and there were about 8-9 cars at the trailhead. By noon, it was a zoo, WAY TOO MANY people on the trail and probably 35-40 cars in the parking lot and along the road. Do it, but do it early.

Great hike. Well maintained trail and beautiful flowers and views the entire hike. However this should say HEAVILY trafficked trail. I don't think I have ever hiked any trail with that amount of people on it. Parking lot full and cars parked for 1/4 mile down the road in both directions. Great hike, just expect to be hiking it with a lot of other people.

Views are absolutely stunning!! Would 10/10 recommend this hike and will have this high on my list to do again in the fall. Definitely get there early. I showed up at 8:15 on a Saturday morning and pretty much had the trail to myself. By 10:30 when I got back to the lot it was nuts!

Wow! One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever experienced! Lots of wild flowers and birds to enjoy on your trek up. The views from the top were unbelievable and definitely worth the hike. I would recommend getting there early as it got pretty crowded by the time we left. The trail was listed to be 4 miles, though my Fitbit logged 5.2 total.

This is an amazing hike. You get a little of everything - meadows, trees, lots of wild flowers in July, and large/unique rock formations all surrounded by wonderful mountain peaks. Shrine Pass Rd is dirt but is in fairly good condition when coming from I70. Not so good if you continue past the trail head. There are lots of people on trail.