Shrine Ridge Trail

Shrine Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

great views. wildflowers almost at peak

Warning: as of 12/3/17 the road to get to the trial is closed.

Went here to hike but the road to get to the trail was closed. Will try again another time as it looks beautiful!

I'm sure it's gorgeous, however, the road was closed to get to it.

Lots of wet and thick mud in the first and last half mile. Most of the trail is covered in pack snow, but it was up to 2-3 inches in some places. The views on the way up were just as pretty as the ones at the top!

Great views all the way up, crowned by the stunning 360 view up top. Most of the mud was frozen. Only very light snow on 11/11/17

Hiked this 11/9/2017. Beautiful views every step of the way. Don't let the mud at the beginning discourage you. Most of the trail was snow covered but rarely over ankle deep. One of our favorites.

I wouldn’t consider this one “easy”, although I imagine weather/trail conditions had a lot to do with my experience yesterday. 95% of the trail was either mud, slush, snow, or some combination thereof. Very slippery! The views were gorgeous! I’d like to come back when the trail is a bit more dry.

We did this hike in late July 2017. We had spectacular weather so the trail was crowded with people. There were vistas and wildflowers around every turn. I've never seen so many different colors of Indian paintbrush. One of my favorite hikes!

EASY!!?? Are you kidding me? It was a great hike with fabulous views but easy it wasn't. A 971 foot elevation gain in 2 miles can't possibly be an easy hike. The 1/4 mile push to the rim at the end was difficult. This site rated this hike as easy. One hiking book rated this hike as moderate and a rating in another book as "more challenging". In my opinion, this hike is moderate with some strenuous areas.

Did this trail yesterday (Sunday)....great hike and stunning views on top. Was great to have a bit of early season snow on the ground and trees from the day before. A little muddy here and there as a result but no big deal.

Perfect hike to do if you want an easy hike but great views! We went September 16 and saw some yellow from the aspens - I'm sure it'll be even more beautiful in another week or so. Snowed on us on the ridge! Trail was easy to follow, and the ridge grants you sweeping views of the Rockies. We took our time for photos and watching the sheep being herded down the mountain. Curious to see what this would look like with snow on the ground. Well-maintained dirt road to a dirt parking lot w/ a restroom and ample parking.

Easy trail with spectacular views and amazing wildflowers during season. The trail can be a little muddy and braided at the beginning but it is easy to follow. The trail is at altitude, starting at over 11,000 feet, creating a bit of a challenge for those not acclimated.

Beautiful. Would call it more moderate than easy for a flatlander like me, but still very very worth the time.

Great easy and quick trail near Vail. We went early and got to the top where there were shepherds! Pretty cool to see some cowboys and the views up there.

This trail is a perennial favorite!! It's an easy hike with beautiful views of meadows, forests, and the surrounding mountains. But once you reach the top of the ridge, you get a 360° view of the Gore, Sawatch, Tenmile and Collegiate Ranges along a treeless, comfortable path. I usually just lie in the grass and soak it all in for a bit before moving on!

Don't miss the fork to the right that leads to the enormous red rock formation that is a fun to explore as it is beautiful! Lots of chipmunks and marmots and wildflowers. I'd love to camp there and watch the sunrise/set, but there isn't an easily accessible water source at the top. :(

Stunning from start to finish and so much wildlife to see! The rock formation at the top is well worth the hike, but the scenery on the way up is also stunning.

Fun and easy hike with incredible views on top of the ridge. Great hike for a beginner. The payoff (incredible views) compared to the amount of input (effort expended) makes this one of the most rewarding hikes in the area.

Just hiked there for at least our 4th time. Weather was perfect, and was very surprised to see how many flowers there were so late in the season. Got there about 9:30, only 2 cars in the lot. Lot fairly full when we left. Surprised how many people were coming up after noon, especially with the dark clouds looming. In any case, had a great hike.

I would rate this trail as moderate, but worth it! Great trails with phenomenal views, wildlife and wild flowers. Saw two huge golden eagles fly right past us.

Beautiful wild flowers, takes about 2 and a half hours, heavy traffic