Shrine Pass Road

Shrine Pass Road is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, birding, and scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Take the exit to Redcliff , off of Hwy. 24,between Leadville and Minturn. Go through Redcliff and Follow the main road out of town.(Shrine Pass Road). Or you can start at the other end, off of Vail Pass, East of Vail.

scenic driving

For years now I have thoroughly enjoyed driving Shrine Pass. The wildflowers and wildlife are always amazing. Love the marmots! Saw two alive and one dead - road kill. Watch out for our little furry friends. LOTS of people. Probably the most crowded that I have ever seen it at the top. Please remember to leash your dogs for their safety and yours. Several bags of dog poop left alongside the trail. Rather unfortunate for such a beautiful place. Wish my fellow pet owners would be more responsible and pack it out with them if they are 'packing their dogs in'. Lovely place to visit!

Great scenic drive, hardly any other cars during the week. I have an SUV no problems. There were some ruts and I would be nervous in a little car with low clearance when you get to the red cliff side.

Walked up the road today using poles and spikes. Beautiful morning for a hike to Shrine Pass. Good elevation training for this Denverite soon to be hiking Mt Kilimanjaro.
Today 11/30/17 is the last day this hike is free. For the rest of the winter there will be a fee.

Stunning views! Will always hold a special place in my heart, got engaged on a rock there. 7/17/17. Best hike!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Wildflowers are awesome! Kids 3 and 6 loved it! We only did a mile in but it was great.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Wildflowers were the best I've seen!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Considering we're sea level dwelling flat landers, it had great vistas and was not TOO easy. Should be beautiful in the spring, we'll be back.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Awesome view!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Well, I drove this in a low profile sedan. It had rained earlier and the dirt road was certainly very bumpy and pure mud in some areas. It was well worth it! I made it to Shrine Pass, but wish I had longer to explore. It is a beautiful off-the-beaten-path experience. Great for someone who has low physical mobility...as long as their car can tolerate it! I wish I would have planned better so I could have hiked it.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Beautiful area!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

A great road to travel around mid. July for wildflowers. you can also see The Mt. of the Holy Cross from a view point that you walk a short distance.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

Nice back country road, cuts across from Shrine Pass rest area on 70 over to Red Cliff on 24. Beautiful views. Road conditions vary (bumpy and dusty) but are ok for passenger vehicles. Nice opportunity for people with limited mobility to enjoy the heart of the mountains, away from the efficient but sterile interstate highways.

off road driving
Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Great trail to cruise on a weekend afternoon. The scenery is beautiful start to finish. Mt of the Holy Cross overlook is a fantastic view. and if you get the chance do the hike to the top of Shrine Mountain, it's well worth the hike. Shrine Pass Road can be traversed by virtually any vehicle but only if you stay on the road. Many of the dispersed campsites require higher clearance. Also the roads leading off are 4X4 as well. We saw deer and a big herd of sheep.

off road driving