Sheep Mountain Trail

Sheep Mountain Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great incline!!! rocky. some good views. only saw one person on trail while we were out

Decent views with a couple points to see the views. one of the harder hikes I've done with an almost constant incline to make the 3000 elevation change. We went in October and started late in day to get more heat. parking was easy since not many there. Probably about 30 good parking spots.

It's pretty good.

I thought this was a decent hike with a comfortably gradual incline, but the summit was very underwhelming.

I've hiked this trail many times.The Loveland Mountain Club maintains this trail and the Nature Trail twice a year. I see that some of the reviews mention the lack of a view from the summit ... about 25 yards west of the summit there is a nice viewing area that has a beautiful view of the high peaks in the Mummy Range to the west..

Round mountain/Sheep Mountain is probably the most underwhelming summit I’ve ever done. The trail is very steep and long for the majority of the hike. In total it’s close to 10 miles. This is a good hike if you’re looking to train for longer harder hikes or just want a killer workout. There are a few nice views along the way but nothing too exciting. Somewhere along this trail is an unmaintained trail to Stone Mountain. Apparently Stone mtn has great 360 views but I have yet to do this. Might be worth it though if your looking for something more spectacular. You can find directions online. Haven’t seen anything on AllTrails yet.

This is the Round Mountain Adventure Summit however you're climbing to Sheep Mountain so there is a name confusion there. Probably the hardest hike ever been on.... went through 2 liters of water and took us a good 6 hrs to complete (disclaimer- we just got in from Houston the day before). This is definitely 10 miles total once you counter in the entrance trail plus the 4.75 miles to the top. We were so tired once we finally made it we never looked to see if there was a log book that someone had mentioned previously and the views at top are at best less than decent... maybe we didn't walk far enough but I was trying to make sure I had the energy to make it down. 4 hrs up and 2 to make it down (clouds came so we picked up the pace on the descent). I will say it was a beautiful hike going up and down which makes it totally worth it!! Take plenty of water, and a horn for bears as they frequent the area. The journey is all that matters and after almost 10 miles and close to 3k ft elevation gain, you'll feel a little badassy!

Lots of climbing. Scenic, but the peak is a real let down..it is literally a large cairn..surrounded by trees. Nice challenge, but the best views will be seen long before you reach the top. I also tracked mine closer to nine miles with close to 3000 feet of elevation gain.

So this is titled “Sheep Mountain”, but this is actually the same as Round Mountain trail. It is longer than it says...closer to 10. Over 2800 feet of climbing in 4.5 miles is A LOT of climbing. Hard or Moderate/Hard and offers great views with lots of flowers, butterflies, and even some raspberries :)
Its a great trail. Bring lots of water!

Great hike!!! This says it’s 8.3 miles but I tracked it at 9.5 miles. Great views on the way up but none on top.

This trail cannot currently be accessed due to construction on highway 34!

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great hike not too busy + free parking!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Solid hike. Trail offered some great view points and varied terrain. It also has some signs with fun facts about the mountain along the way to guide you!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

I would rate this trail as difficult - not intermediate. You gain 2837 feet in 4.5 miles! That is a lot of climbing. The flowers are pretty, but the views are not significant. There is no view from the summit. Though there are some interesting rocky areas, this trail is not terribly scenic. But you can bring your dog.

I rated this 2 Stars, not 4!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great views at top go off to the left for a great view of longs peak.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Great hike. Highly recommend in wintertime

Monday, July 13, 2015

Great trail. It is about 9 and a half miles out and back 3800 ft Elevation gain. Really beautiful views on the first half of the hike.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A fantastic hike as always. Intermediate I would call it, 10 miles and a couple thousand feet of elevation gain. A great cardio workout.