Shanahan Ridge Trail

Shanahan Ridge Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 790 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail takes you up through the open space along Shanahan Ridge. A North and South Fork allows for loops of various length. The trail system intersects with South Mesa Trail and provides access to the Shadow Canyon and Fern Gulch trails to Bear and South Boulder Peaks.

This was a lovely hike. Ups and downs that got your heart rate up but not extreme. Clear, even path for the most part. Very scenic and peaceful.

caught the rain two days in a row. was great!!

This is a great trail! Has some incline walks for awhile and you get mostly Downhill for the south side of the loop. It was wet and muddy in some spots but not too bad. It came to about 4 miles for me. You can extend this hike to veer off on the other trails. Will definitely go back!

After a more strenuous hike the day before, I was really looking for a more relaxing and enjoyable hike. This was great for that purpose! The trail was really well maintained, so I could actually look up at the mountains instead of focusing on where I was stepping. There were a ton of wildflowers, and I got to the trail around 8:30 and not a ton of people to start out. Finishing up, there were quite a few families getting started. Parking was a breeze and the trailhead was very easy to find. Will definitely be making a return trip in the near future.

Great trek. We even spotted some deers alongside the trail.

Great hike for my kids

I'd rate this as an easy to moderate hike. I've hiked this a few times and I think hiking in a clockwise route, starting with South Fork Shanahan, is the gentler hike. The trail does get steeper as you pass the Shanahan Connector and start making your way up toward the Mesa Trail. You spend most of the time in the forest, so there aren't many views of the mountains except at the very beginning and end, but the setting among the trees is beautiful. It was a bit muddy after the snow and rain from late last week but no major problems with footing.

Nice scenic and easy hike for the dogs. We branched off and went a little further then finished the loop. Perfect amount for starting the season

Pretty views ground dry no mud!

Great hike for the family! Perfect for a hour or two away from electronics.

Great hike to ease you back into hiking season. Got there around 7:30 and not many people. Much busier at 9. Only a little muddy.

Did alone with Apollo and was a great hike. Flat train and open space. A lot of off leash dogs though . Prob not good for weekend hike

Excellent trail and beautiful day. It wasn’t muddy and the shade was nice in a hot day. Pretty views of the mountains too.

Muddy to start. Lots of dogs, many off leash, Off and on snow and ice, just leave your spikes on!! Beautiful sky and views!

Spikes helped, not a deal breaker

My friends and my dog had a fantabulamorous time on this trail today. It was super muddy and icy in spots but we had our spikes on and we were fine. It was a glorious day to get outside and not wear so much gear as the weather actually hit 50 today! Woot! Spring Fever has me in her grip!

great loop trail. took our dog and she enjoyed it. little bit icy as expected but perfect for what we wanted

Some icy spots but it was great. Our dogs loved it, too.

Great loop close to South Boulder! If your dog has a voice and sight tag they can be off leash too! Loved it!

A great hike, the weather is perfect now, just a little bit of icy patches at top. An excellent way to spend a couple of hours outdoors, Not too strenuous

Beautiful hike! There are still some patches of snow/ice/water, but not a problem with hiking boots. Ran into just a handful of hikers and runners.

Plan to park on the street. Hikers quickly move away from the residential area and into more natural surroundings. Maintained trail scattered with rocks, for a more rustic feel. Morning sunshine shows off the mountains the best! We saw a few people, but mostly had the trail to ourselves. Gorgeous views. Loved listening to the wind course through the Lodgepole Pines!

It was pretty busy today. There were lots of dog walkers. The weather was great right before the snowfall expected tonight. Terrain was pretty easy - an occasional big rock jutting from the trail but not bad. Great views though!

Great little hike. I would also agree that it's on the top end of easy. It is clearly bear country. Thick shubbery abound. Great forest areas. I saw a bear with her cub along the Connector. First time I saw wild black bears. Amazing experience.

Okay.... I don't know who you guys are below, but this hike was NOT easy. Yes, we did end up looping to the Mesa Trail, which was harder, but still. There is an incline for sure. The hike was very pretty and did have many wildflowers. BIG NOTICE FOR HIKERS!!!! Xcel Energy is working on Bear Peak Canyon and has the path closed near Mesa Trail. We weren't going there, but had to go down just a bit to get on the right path back to Shanahan Trail. This is from Aug-November 2018 and there were helicopters passing ALL THE TIME with wood poles and equipment. Just FYI if you want to go a longer route. A man we met had walked 10 miles and couldn't loop back to his car because of this, so we suggested he take an uber back at Leihigh Road!! Other than this, the hike was great. And it is a hike! We weren't prepared. This said easy, so I assumed it was more of a neighborhood walk. IT IS NOT. This is a bonafide hike. I am from Longmont, and we have a nice (flat) hike near my house that is rated easy at same mileage, and that one near me is truly a flat WALK. Great exercise...but beware that it is more than easy. I exercise every day at least one hour. I don't hike every day, but go usually once a week.

Enjoyable, no one in the trail today even though it is Saturday, maybe because it was hot! Steeper climb if you go counterclockwise. Good day, will do it again when it cools off.

Great hike.

Good for taking the old doggo for a hike

This trail has a good, steady incline on the way up and then it up, down, and flat through the second half. There are lots of other tougher trails that branch of of this shorter/easier one, just make sure you pay attention to which direction you're going! Started this at about 9am on a Saturday. The streets were packed with cars, but we found a spot! Lots of people on the trail, but it didn't feel overcrowded.