Shadow Canyon Trail to South Boulder Peak

Shadow Canyon Trail to South Boulder Peak is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Get run to build your mountain legs
Watch the poison ivy at the start of the canyon
Got sprayed by a skunk on the approach this morning

Stunning views up top. This trail broke my knees on the way down. Those steps are a killer.

Amazing hike. We just completed his today and hit both peaks. Shadow Canyon's provides a bit more to see, and is just as difficult of a climb. Don't underestimate this one. Though it's low in altitude, you still truck up 3,000 feet and, likewise, bang your knees up on the way down those 3,000 feet. The trail is a bit difficult to follow when the elevation begins to pick up, but it's pretty hard to get lost. To avoid our big mistake, do an out and back if you follow this trail; the loop around can lead you about five miles away from the parking lot. Thank sweet baby Jesus for Uber. Either way, awesome views. Bring plenty of water. My wife and I went through three liters and a 24 oz Gatorade, but, again, we did both summits. Keep an eye out for rattlesnakes and bears. We ran into two rattlesnakes on the side of the trail and word spread quick about two black bears roaming further down the trail. Nothing to worry about, though. Except for the ten gallons of sweat that poured out of me. It needs to be winter already. Get out and get it done! Not too difficult and spaced out really well. The tricky part comes at the very end. The climbing is a bit sketch if you want to get the views, but totally worth the risk.

Hmm... all trails is off!!
1. It’s 10.53 miles
2. It’s not hard, more moderate. If you’re out of shape, then it’ll probably be a little hard.

Definitely a workout (step-style over rocks and roots in the canyon), but worth the views! Also quite easy (once you’re up there) to shoot over to Bear Peak. A lot of sun on the meadow trail area until the ascent, which is shaded for most of the canyon until the switchbacks leading up to the crest splitting the trail between South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak. Had to push myself a bit, but loved the vistas! Best to do on a weekday. I can see how it may get crowded. Barely anyone around today (Monday).

This hike is a killer workout. Basically stairs for the entire ascent. In early June, we started around 9 am and it very quickly turned HOT. It was also very crowded. We spent a lot of time leap frogging and moving to the side to pass or be passed, hence the 4 stars. That said, as far as Boulder hikes go, this one was great. Tons of wildflowers, dogs allowed off leash, and some satisfying views of the front range from the top. My dog and I did the quick ascent up Bear Peak, but the bugs were so oppressive we couldn't even enjoy it. Will also warn folks that my dog, a year old 40 pound labradoodle, has done multiple ascents and I brought plenty fo water for him. We saw lots of dogs that were way overheating on this hike, so bring extra water to drench your dog. It's nice to do a 3k ft ascent within a 30 minute drive of Denver. Will definitely be doing this again!

This was so hard. Took lots of breaks. I’m always a fan of the reward of coming back down the mountain but even on the downhill it was hard. Worth it though. I lost the trail at one point with a group of others. Tip: you’ll see a group of boulders to both side of you... don’t follow the boulders and climb them to either side, there is almost a fake trail on the “right side” of the actual trail. Go between both boulder fields.

This is a challenge for your quads! Very tough, but worth it from the top. If you have the energy ( which I did not) you should go up to Bear Peak it’s basically right there.

butt kicker

Amazing hike, with breathtaking views!

Lots of stairstepping and strenuous, and a great view from the peak

Challenging like the rating says, the ascent was straight up stair stepping until the switch backs. Trail was a bit hard to follow in spots but markers seemed to magically appear when you needed them most. Also, it had been raining all day so the beaten path wasn't as obvious.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Easy going at the beginning, with a very difficult ascent and descent towards the top. Views were totally worth it. Bring lots of water if you're a slow hiker like me, we ran out at the summit! Started around 9 AM and finished around 5, with a total of about 11 miles.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Did Shadow Creek to South Boulder to Bear Peak to Fern Canyon to Shanahan to Mesa to Bluestream to Mesa parking lot. Steep steep steep coming down from Bear Peak! I found my poles very useful for that segment, and didn't really need them after.

Very crowded, even at 7am! A lot of people with off leash dogs that just darted out ahead and ran underfoot. Owners didn't really care.

I probably wouldn't do this one again, mostly due to how overly crowded it was. But there's a great view, so it's worth at least one visit.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Hiked this on April 8th. Really enjoyed this hike and found it challenging for the first hike of the year. I didn't end up hiking Bear as well; me t time. We took the left fork at beginning of trail and experience d less traffic.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

I forgot to turn on the recorder for my return trip, but it took me about an hour and half to get back. It was an amazing hike with killer views. Don't forget to wear layers as the saddle and the summit were super windy and cold!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Enjoyed this hike and yes it is difficult due to rocky technical terrain and steep ascent and descents. Beautiful vistas!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Beautiful hike. more difficult than I anticipated with a lot of scrambling over rocks. loved it and definitely will do it again.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

PROS: Beautiful trail. Steep incline. Awesome views from the top.

CONS: Limited parking.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Good work out and solid views at the end. The ascent once you're in the canyon is very challenging for inexperienced hikers.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

When u actually get up to canyon if your there during the "magic hour" beauty. Plus 2 abandoned cabins along the way

Friday, July 08, 2016

It was brutal. We climbed to Bear Peak. Worth the view!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Gorgeous hike, tons of wildflowers, streams and of course, the Flatirons to keep you going. Only qualm of course is the search for parking.

Monday, May 30, 2016

We did this hike from Shanahan trailhead. It was a total thigh burner. We took Big Blue stem trail back to the car and it was very plesant. I probably wouldn't do this hike unless you are looking for a good workout. Good views from the top of both peaks though!

Friday, May 27, 2016

Awesome trail! Actually ran into a black bear on the way back but was about 400 yds away.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Wow what a hike. I started with the Shadow Canyon Trail and at the halfway point decided to head all the way up to South Boulder Peak. The SCT portion was pretty tame but was the elevation gain kicked in it became a good workout. There are a good amount of rocks in the SCT (past the halfway point) until the switchbacks. From where the trail splits between SBP and Bear Peak all te way to the top of SBP there is still a fair amount of icy snow (enough that I wish I had my microspikes). You be able to see a whole lot because of the tree cover until the top but let me say it is soooo worth it. All of the Front Range mountains are in view. We think we spotted Longs Peak, Grays & Torreys, Evans & Bierstadt, and Pikes Peak in the distance. So worth the wait and I cant wait to go back and go after Bear Peak. Enjoy!

Monday, August 17, 2015

Closer to 9.8 miles than 7 miles from South Mesa Trailhead. Used mapmyhike to track my miles, I'm guessing that that 7 miles on the map isn't accounting for the minute and many switchbacks in shadow canyon. Took me about 4 and a half hours.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Amazing views when you get to S. Boulder Peak!

Saturday, May 23, 2015

This was a great hike that's close to town. There are a lot of branches off the trail at the beginning, but if you start off on Mesa trail you can just stay on it all the way to Shadow Canyon trail, which is well marked. There's a lot of scrambling after you get on Shadow Canyon trail, so it was definitely a challenging hike. The only reason I'm giving this hike a 4 rather than a 5 is because we didn't make it all the way to the top due to weather, so we didn't see the last stretch. 5 hours is a realistic estimate for the full out and back if you're in pretty good shape.

Conditions were pretty muddy as of 5/23/15.

GPS coordinates to the trailhead are: N39 56.326 W105 15.493
Parking fee is $5/car

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Tough ascent, power hiking and scrambling...non runnable for my slow old self.