Sentinel Point Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florissant, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,732 feet Route Type: Loop

Beaver Ponds, views, alpine tundra, waterfalls, solitude. Great hike. The trail starts on the SE end of the parking lot. Follow this trail to Horsethief Park. Just after the terrain levels out look for a left turn marked with a ring-the-peak signpost. Take this trail that immediately crosses a stream. Follow this trail North through a small valley with several beaver ponds. The trail will make a Y where the valley begins to veer right. Take the right leg of the Y that continues in this small valley. The trail will soon reach an area where it follows an old stream bed. When the trail fades head right and up to the ridge to Sentinel Point Then descend south from Sentinel Point staying on the East side of the ridge. Look for an opening in the rocky ridge at a small saddle and descend there. Head down until you reach the stream, follow the stream until you reach Horsetheif Falls trail. Follow this trail downhill and it will lead you back to the Trailhead.

I’ll start off with the positive...AMAZING VIEWS.!!! After what I’ll call the “false summit” there are no longer clear trail markers.... we had to make our own path... GPS kept saying we crossed over the trail... again and again and again.... but nothing was noticeable in the slightest. If I did this trail again I’d make it an out and back instead of a loop because the steepness combined with no clear trail, some snow, and you basically end up climbing over boulders and more boulders...is not worth it. We had two dogs with us- luckily they are both rock climbers- otherwise we would have had to turn around instead of doing the “loop”.

Beautiful trail! Extremely quiet and shaded. Remaining snow made finding any sort of trail towards the end (Boulder field area) extremely difficult. Will definitely attempt again in a month when the snow is completely gone.

Went up today. Snow was a factor, but didn't affect our ability to summit. As you move up the draw, the trail was well marked with cairns. Post holed in small snow drifts occationally, but no big deal. The trail handrails a boulder field to the right of the draw. Easy to follow until upper meadow/waterfall and then it's a scramble up the steep grassy ridge to the plateau. Great hike. I do it annually.

A few friends and I went on this hike in early May. We all have experience when it comes to hiking/backpacking, but this was a letdown. The trail is however very poorly maintained, we got lost countless times, and we resorted to using google maps for directions back onto the trail. We quickly realized the trail is non-existent above treeline. Besides looking at google maps, there was no way to know where the trail was. Even after we got down below treeline, we still couldn't find the trail. There was nothing but a rock field. Cairns were placed in every direction from unknowing hikers. If you go on this trail, DON'T TRUST THE CAIRNS. Once we found the path (with help from google maps), there was no sign for a few miles. Some parts have trails, but they simply disappear. I would not recommend this to anyone without snowshoes and a gps of some sort.

icy

**Beware** There is no second half of the loop. The trail is well marked if you take the first left into the meadow. It is tough but fairly easy to follow, getting to Sentinel Point is a scramble with no real trail but still easy enough to follow. Physically difficult! No beginners! Beautiful views from the top and along the whole trail. However!! We tried to follow the trail down the other half the loop and got hopelessly lost. Do not attempt without a good GPS and navigational or orienteering skills. We wound up hitting a complete impasse and had to turn around, re-bushwhacking our way back up. This went from a 6 mile hike to over 9 miles and took us over 10 hours because we were so badly lost. I would do this trail again in a heartbeat, but only as an out and back.

We could not have asked for a better hike. In my opinion the best hike in Teller and Elpaso County. I would like to thank hikers before who marked the trail so well. Doing my part I added and repaired cairns along the way. It is a must do for guests visiting us in Colorado, especially since we view it from our deck.

Did this loop in reverse after camping at Horsethief Falls for a night. The way up was certainly a challenge and it's definitely worth noting **there is not an actual trail marked**, so we were basically bushwhacking up 2,000 feet (it was fun!). We used GPS to make sure we were headed in generally the right direction toward Sentinel Point and caught a ton of beautiful views on the way. Once we cleared the trees we had to cross a steep, long meadow to make it to the south saddle--again, truly stunning views from here (better than from the top of Sentinel Point, in my opinion, so definitely take it in!). The scramble up to Sentinel Point was a bit sketchy but completely doable. (I was a little unsteady from the altitude but made it up alright with a couple assists from my partner.) When we first started heading down we saw two marmots, which was neat--the cairns were a bit scattered and infrequent but once we got into the woods the trail was exceptionally well marked with cairns. The final 1.5 miles were a flat trail through beautiful, unending fields of wildflowers, which we didn't know to expect! Truly a great hike (though very buggy) and happy we tried it out in reverse. We did meet a couple of girls at Sentinel Point who were doing the loop in the "right" direction and we all ended up finishing the hike at exactly the same time, so I think doing it in either direction gives comparable completion times. For us we totaled 7.75 in mileage and completed the hike in about 6 hours (including the 1.5 miles/45 mins. in on the first night) --so definitely leave yourself enough time!

Absolutely beautiful trail, I only give it 4 out of 5 cause the waterfall wasn’t flowing, but honestly a amazing trail I actually did the trail last Saturday just forgot to upload a review, the trail was definitely a hard one but not unmanageable all in all super fun with some great scrambling.

I love the challenge, but was too worry about not being able to make it back before dark. We didn't start the trail until 1:00 pm. No trail head mark starting from the summit at 4:30 pm, we used GPS to guide us down. 3/4 of the way out of our two miles downhill hike, we were using our butt sliding down with tree branches and rocks in the way. It was a real adventure of life. Took us 6 hours for 8 and 1/2 miles hike in total from the parking lot. Plan an least an extra hour for figuring your way out. We were so happy by the time we found the trail at the last mile of hike when we knew we weren't on the trail for two hours being off the trail. Don't suggest any underaged younger person, nor dogs on the trail.