Sentinel Point Trail

Sentinel Point Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florissant, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beaver Ponds, views, alpine tundra, waterfalls, solitude. Great hike. The trail starts on the SE end of the parking lot. Follow this trail to Horsethief Park. Just after the terrain levels out look for a left turn marked with a ring-the-peak signpost. Take this trail that immediately crosses a stream. Follow this trail North through a small valley with several beaver ponds. The trail will make a Y where the valley begins to veer right. Take the right leg of the Y that continues in this small valley. The trail will soon reach an area where it follows an old stream bed. When the trail fades head right and up to the ridge to Sentinel Point Then descend south from Sentinel Point staying on the East side of the ridge. Look for an opening in the rocky ridge at a small saddle and descend there. Head down until you reach the stream, follow the stream until you reach Horsetheif Falls trail. Follow this trail downhill and it will lead you back to the Trailhead.

Terrific adventure. The summit is worth it. Thank you to whomever provided the GPS waypoints provided in the main route description here. They definitely made for a more confident ascent and descent. A couple of learnings to pass along: 1) the boulderfield everyone references is sort of shaped like an hourglass. We found it easier to skirt the bottom half of the boulder field to the north (climber's left), then at the narrowest point of the "hour gass" crossing south (climber's right) and accessing a steep but solid grassy slope to get to the ridge. Opting for this grassy slope--as opposed to the lower angle grassy slope and rocks featured in many pics that climbs east-northeast--saves time and aggravation. 2) On the descent from "South Saddle" to "Horse Thief Falls" we followed the direct route on our GPS. It's steep, hard on the knees and completely doable. The route pictured in red on the main route description looks as though the person angled west-southwest. I'll try that next time. Does anyone have any intel for a less steep descent? Thank you to whomever placed the colorful rock near the summit--you know who you are!--what a great landmark during the scrambling downclimb off the summit.

That loop was intense! Very enjoyable, but getting the peak itself was almost all class 3 scrambling with a couple class 4 moves sprinkled here and there. I made the mistake of downclimbing the peak on the West side and trying to head West-Southwest from there back to the trail but that was not a good call. I ended up climbing back up to the rocks, making my way to the east side then heading south (much, much easier) until I found a good break in the rocks, like this guide says. This loop was 7.75 miles, 3110 ft. elevation gain for me, and close to half of it was off-trail. Challenging, but rewarding!

The time is right- not hardly any snow now. When you get to tree line on accent, skirt the bottom edge of the big boulder field while heading south (to your right) and it will take you to a steady uphill below the actual point. Just keep heading south and the point will peak over the hill. Be prepared to climb to get to the top- no walking path at all.
Very steep in both directions- lots of leg and knee strength required- great adventure though!

My suggestion on way down- follow the little creek that starts up there above tree line all the way down and it will intersect with another creek which will then turn into horse thief falls. switchback down for easier decent. Have a great summer everyone!

Snow pack is still to deep, lost the trail about 1500ft or so before tree line. Decided to bag it at this point as I did not want to have to find my bush wacked trail back down to where the last visible point of the trails is.

This trail is definitely NOT accessible year round. Could've used a pair of snowshoes today but even that might've been a struggle. Went as far up as I could before turning around. There are no signs unless they were buried under the 3-4 feet of snow. Beautiful views! Can't wait to go back in the summer time but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone this time of year.

Monday, October 31, 2016

This hike was well marked until the top. After reaching the summit and walking around the peak to the back side, no more trail or marker. According to the map on All Trails, we stayed pretty close to the "trail", but did not see one until the last mile. The backside was very steep, slid on my butt a lot, so did my Border Collie. Plan on forging your own trail down. I had my camelback full of water and a Nalgene full and I ran out between myself and my dog. We went a total of 10.1 miles, hit the trail at 8:30, back to the car at 3:15, and we did not stop. It was the toughest hike I've done. Did Mt. Esther last week, it was a piece of cake. Should have back tracked from the peak, but wanted to do the loop.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Tried to do the loop but no trail and had to backtrack out which sucked . Challenging hike like others have said but not well marked . Large Boulder field-- headed on the grassy incline to the left instead . Good luck!!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Completed this hike yesterday, it was fun. Definitely challenging but worth it at the top. Had to make my own trail down though. Still was worth it.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

This hike is not for the light-hearted. Just make sure you follow the cairns and you will find the top. The final ascent involves scrambling and bouldering. Nice challenging hike for sure!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

This trail is challenging, but worth it. Starting out at trailhead for Horsethief and Pancake Rocks, take the first left and follow the flat trail around and then take a right at the split (704C). Shortly after this point it is all up. Look for the cairns and you should be fine. I recommend coming prepared with a plenty of calorie replenishment, water, and trekking poles for the descent down. Also, sun protection. Once you get above the tree line you will bake pretty well even on cooler days.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

This trail should be marked hard. It is much longer than 5.6 mi round trip - more like 11 mi. (I went up and down the same route along the stream.) I had difficulty following the trail once I got above tree line, so I blazed my own trail. I ended up doing a lot more boulder scampering than I think was necessary. However, it was a rewarding hike with the tundra flowers and awesome views at the top.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

This is not an easy trail, no idea how it got rated that way. The last half mile goes up 1000 ft in elevation and the trail isn't recognizable. You'll have to rock scramble in many parts and most of the trail is unmarked. I thought this was gonna be a nice relaxing hike, from from not. After you pass the stream and beaver dams it goes straight up. It's early in the season, so a few hundred feet up I ran into nothing but snow. Some was waist deep and and the last few hundred feet was almost impossible to climb due to snow and no markings. There is no clearly defined trail in the last few hundred feet. I'd skip this trail until mid summer and not underestimate the climb over the last half mile.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Should have read the reviews first... I completely lost the path after the falls, and ended up failing to get to the top because I was dead set on finding a trail. Oh well. It was really pretty, and I went in early September. Bird watching was great, I saw several warblers, a vireo, and then the usual crowd. I'll be back to get to the top sometime.