Second Creek Trail to Twin Cones

Second Creek Trail to Twin Cones is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail begins at Second Creek Trailhead along Highway 40 into gentle climbing in the forested area along Second Creek before opening up to the north near treeline and ascending 800 vertical feet. At the top of the ridge you'll pass the old Second Creek Cabin A-frame, replaced by the newer Broome Hut. Dogs are not allowed at Broome Hut.

Great trail. Very scenic with some great streams and waterfalls. A little rocky on the trail, but doable. Just note that the route displayed on AllTrails only goes up to to the Hut, which makes the round trip only 2.8 miles. You have to (and will want to) go up past the hut and marked route to make it a 5 mile round trip.

Amazing up there, lots of places to explore.

Wow wow wow! This is one of my favorites in the area. There’s a creek running along the trail from Broome hut to the tree line, so much of the trail is very lush and full of wildflowers. Good hike to the hut then it gets easier ;)

Very nice trail!

great views, lots of places to stop and relax. one of my favorites!

We did this hike today, 7/8/18, which was a Sunday. We got to the trailhead around 9:30am and the parking lot was pretty crowded, but there were still plenty of spots. The first mile is pretty steep. The Broome Hut (at about 1.1mi) has a bathroom. There were certainly steep spots for the rest of the hike, but the first mile was definitely the most consistently steep. We went all the way up to the summit and the 360 degree views were absolutely gorgeous. I would recommend trying to leave the summit by noon so you don’t get caught in bad weather. We started heading back down probably around 11:30-11:45, and it was getting pretty cloudy and you could see rain in the distance. We got drizzled on a bit later once we were back below tree line, but it wasn’t bad. I highly recommend this hike! The wildflowers are blooming right now too.

Beautiful trail, not too many folks out there with me when I arrived on a saturday afternoon. Its a steep climb to Broome hut, but the view is great. If you are able to, i highly recommend continuing onward - there's a beautiful field w a mountain-fed stream that meanders thru it. I wasn't able to make it to the summit due to weather coming in, but I'll definitely be back!

What a great trail! We went up on a July Saturday and started up around 845. There was still plenty of parking and there were only scattered hikers going up. I highly recommend going down before or after 12pm bc the sun was right in your face heading down from the Broome hut, so plan better than we did. The waterfall around Broome was super crowded on our descent, but if you keep going up you get into lovely meadows with snowmelt creeks and tons of flowers above treelike. Very doable with kids—albeit slow, but so many picture opportunities you won’t mind stopping a lot!

I have tried to make it to twin cones twice, but have been unsuccesful. The first time was due to excessive wind. The second time was because the snow made the trail nearly impossible to follow. We did have fun in early June going up past Broome Hut and glissading around in the snow fields. Some postholing then, but I'm sure it's more clear now. This is a nice trail where there are hardly any people. As we pulled away from the trailhead, about 2 miles up the road, we saw a black bear running along the road! Glad I didn't see him on the trail.

Started about 9:15a on 7/1/18, amazing weather. Wore long sleeve shirt and pants, virtually no wind to speak of, no clouds, about 50 degrees when we started. Two adults, two kids (ages 9 and 7). Made it to top and Twin Cones in about two hours with lots of breaks and an extended snack break at Broome Hut. Lots of people, likely taking advantage of beautiful if not unusual (hardly any wind) weather. A bit of wind gusts at top near Twin Cones led to pullover jackets, hats, and gloves. Views as spectacular as advertised. Took small jaunt off trail to see waterfalls to north of Broome Hut, amazing stuff. Highly recommend.

We did this hike in early August 2017 and loved it. Be sure to keep going past the Broome Hut. There were wide open spaces up there and snow slopes to play around on.

Did this trail on 6/23. Fairly steep in the beginning and at the end, but the views on top were completely gorgeous! Got a bit muddy in the middle but nothing too bad. Would definitely recommend!

A little muddy at the top but otherwise great hike!

This was a nice hike. Starts off kind of steep but very doable. I went all the way to the top past the hut and the views were great even with clouds.

Beautiful snowshoe hike. Extremely well marked. Has a 10 to 15% grade for first mile. Mostly packed snow up to the hut. After the hut, trail not marked and mostly powder but easy to snowshoe. Incredible views.

So much powder! A steady incline, some parts steeper than others but the view was worth it. I wouldn’t recommend for beginner showshoers but a good challenging jaunt for intermediates. The parking is just past Berthoud Pass, directly off 40 and the trailhead is right there. No restrooms that I could see.

We snowshoed this a couple days after Christmas. Moderate traffic and plenty of snow. Views are worth the incline! Skiers and other hikers were great on the trails as well. Perfect for dogs and a quick hike.

Got up to the hut today. The first half mile is well-packed snow and it's ideal for snowshoeing. After that the trail is mostly fluffy powder and I sank in about a foot in a number of steps. It is easy to lose the trail and be sidetracked by all the new paths created by skiers. The view from the Broome Hut is worth the trek although there was some pretty serious wind up there today.

There was low snow when we visited in mid December so we just booted the whole way. A little harder closer to the top, but still beautiful!

A winter wonderland. I took the off-road route here and decided to go off the main trail a bit. Climbed the rocks that appeared once you are through the thick of the forest and was able to get to the top - terrific 360 views. I had snow boots on and hiked with really no problem (a little slick sometimes) but there were plenty of people snowshoeing and a few skiers as well. Will definitely be going back in the summer.

Beautiful views.

For a flatlander struggling with mountain sickness, this was a difficult hike. Steep going up, just take breaks. Regardless of AMS making the hike a lot harder than it should have been, this was a wonderful trip. We did over 4 miles, went past the hut. The views are beautiful. You get the alpine valley with the waterfall and stream and wildflowers in addition to the beautiful surrounding mountains. Windy up top so pack accordingly. Reasonably crowded on a Sunday afternoon, we still had many moments of solitude on the trail. Dogs loved it. Water sources abound with the creeks.

Nice 3-ish mile hike with moderate elevation gain. Easy access right off 40 for a nice break before or after hitting up winter park. Need to go further past the Broome Hut next time to get more views. Will do this one again!

Nice moderate hike. Kept hiking after waterfall to top where it flattens out. Great views.

One of my favorite hikes to-date! Insane views.

What a beautiful hike. Assuming the altitude doesn't get them, great for casual (ish) visitors as it's short enough and has huge payoff on getting above the tree line quick enough for big panoramas. Gets real windy and quite cold up there, be prepared to add 1-2 layers as you ascend.

8/19/17 - nice hike. Had to take several breaks going up but 1000' elevation gain is about tops of my comfort zone. Wildflower season is over I'd say, some lingering asters. Beautiful view at the very top.

Love this trail! Great views of Cirque and Divide the whole way. Interesting rock formations. Steep but worthwhile.

Beautiful Hike, from wild flowers, to waterfall after hut, great boulders. 5 kids from 5 to 13 able to complete.

Beautiful trail, perfect difficulty for me, and incredible waterfall at the top which someone else mentioned. My new favorite trail!!