Schubarth 4x4 Road

Schubarth 4x4 Road is a 19.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Fun play area with views of Pikes Peak and Air Force Academy. Popular area close to Woodland Park and an easy drive from Colorado Springs. Trail is loop with network of legal side roads to explore. Narrow, twisty and fun. Lunch at fantastic overlook above Air Force Academy or dramatic rock outcrop. Great area for a weekend campout with lots of dispersed camping once inside forest boundary. Ride your unlicensed vehicle from your campsite inside forest boundary. First 2.5 miles crosses sensitive private land and USAF property. Pass through quietly and courteously to avoid conflicts with property owners. Located in Pike National Forest. For current conditions call Pikes Peak Ranger District (719) 636-1602 Roads undulate with banked turns and narrow spots. Marked side roads are steep in places with occasional rocky challenges.

off road driving

Took my 2017 JKL Hard Rock and had FUN. Great trail - mostly just bumpy. Narrows were not all that narrow (doors off - added mirrors) The ‘fun little area’ after the Academy Lookout looks way harder than it is - the jeep didn’t even break a sweat! but I did. Saw maybe 3 other vehicles

off road driving

Trail was pretty and very easy, but VERY narrow in areas. Was a struggle to work the way between trees and boulders in some areas. If you have a wider Jeep i do not recommend this trail- it was truly a butt clencher. Nearly scratched the sides on multiple occasions.

The trail itself did not have very difficult terrain. The only challenge was squeezing between trees.

I have to wonder if I took a wrong turn, since no other reviews mention how tight the road between trees was. The area was certainly scenic.

Had a blast doing this trail today with the wife and son in my 2015 F150, with a fox coil over leveling kit and 33 inch Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (similar to KO2s).

Did the whole 9 yards, through the whole loop and even up to the academy overview.

Before you get to the loop the trail is just loaded with big dips in the ground, my toddler was cracking up the whole time going through those he loved it.

Once you hit the loop it starts to get narrower and narrower, definitely a handling challenge if you're in a full sized truck. I had to pull in my rear view a couple times and definitely had some pine tree brush, nothing intense enough to scratch the paint though. No good rock crawling spots but definitely some bumpy and steep grades to keep you on your toes.

Fun trail!

off road driving

Took the RZR up there on the Sunday over Memorial wknd and there was barely anyone out there. Great trail system with nice views, a small water crossing, and a large rock outcropping on the backside which is a great place to stop and enjoy a picnic lunch. The small SUV on 311A has been removed from the water and moved to the side. Definitely recommend these trails.

off road driving

Went and rode near Colorado Springs with my sons’ new Polaris Ace 150. It’s a good machine, but can have a tough time going up steeper grades. I had to push him up one of the hills. The trails were considered green difficulty here in Colorado. We still had a great time!

off road driving

The 311A obstacle has been removed from the trail. It is still in the area, but it is no longer blocking the trail. Some parts of this trail were pretty narrow, but a Titan with a 3" lift and 33" tires made it fine. Most of the loop is simple, but be careful and take it slow on 311A.

off road driving

I ran the trail yesterday afternoon, quite fun!

The 311A sunken treasure is still there, looks like it's been gone over with a bat. I got around it on the ice, which is starting to melt but is still thick enough for my Rubicon to make it over. Just hug the outside corner or else your tire will get stuck in the foot-wide crack.

I ended up going counter-clockwise on the loop because I was watching my Jeep GPS instead of the All-Trails map, and missed the first turn. No matter, though, running up that 311A hill was fun!

Most of the mud puddles have dried up.

off road driving

Great trail run for moderate rating (a stock 4Runner didn't have issues). Could be very narrow for some full size trucks going out. Also came across the 311A sunken boat, just be aware the ice is melting and could get worse but me and the group of 4 hugged the outer path and made it fine.

'99 4RnR 33 KO2 3" Toytech 5100

off road driving

Just did this loop with a 2001 Xterra with 31" A/T tires and a 3" lift. Most of the trail was a breeze, but the section with the sunken car and a few climbs after it felt a little hairy. Very fun though, but be smart, be careful. The section near the car still has ice on the ground and is sloped toward the mud pit. It blows my mind that car even attempted driving out there...

off road driving

Pretty good one. My power wagon was just a bit to big in spots though. Whoops.

just went on this trail yesterday 4/8/18 with my tundra with 3" level and 35s , a stock Tacoma and a f150 with 3" level. made the loop around and got out. came up on a car that was frozen in the creek up to the Windows. Definitely a learning experience for sure.

off road driving

Thought it'd be great to do this road after the recent snow and it didn't disappoint. We couldn't do the whole loop due to the "sunken object" still being stuck in the ice on 311A. Didn't want to chance going around it. I walked up to the bypass and fell thru the ice about 6 inches just walking on it. Wasn't bringing my jeep thru that.

Other than that it was a great ride in 6-8 inches of snow.

off road driving

Did the whole loop even passed the frosty bridge of wonders. I probably shouldn’t have risked it but I got passed it. Now that I think of it, I really shouldn’t have tried that lol. Plenty of decent rocks and places to sit and relax at. I enjoyed it.

off road driving

The mysterious object blocking the trail is still there. We drove around it over the ice, but I definitely would not recommend it. Super scary !!!!

off road driving

took my stock 18 Crosstrek today with 4 friends and murdered most of that trail. Stock tires, 8.7 inches of ground clearance saved our asses.

Note: about 10 miles in there is a small frozen stream with a Ford escape frozen solid up to mid door. inside is full of ice, its awesome. Unfortunately you can't easily get passed it. I don't think the forest service can clear it till spring.

off road driving

The snow is starting to melt up there, and creating some some mud holes. The first half of the trail was pretty easy, but tight - 307. The second half, (optional) on 311A is much steeper and higher clearance is required. As Josh stated below, take it slow. At the bottom of 311A, we found the gem that Josh refers too and I wasn’t taking any chances on that crossing and came back up. This is a unique trail in that there are lots of cool boulders and tight spaces, with some off-camber driving, but does not have a ton of great views as some of the other trails have. If you are looking for a little more of a challenge than some of the easier trails, this is a great run. NOTE: We did this trail in a raised Jeep Rubcon Recon 4-Door and didn’t have to do any backing. For those that may do this with full size trucks, backing may be required to get through certain areas.

off road driving

What a fun trail. The wife and I attempted to loop yesterday. Either way you go you will have to turn around. Frozen section that is too sketchy to cross. But in that frozen section is a gem to see. Someone attempted it and did not fair too well. The trail was quite fun and with snow and ice in certain areas it made for fun and challenging! Def need some clearance for certain spots but overall take it slow and you should be good

off road driving

This trail was awesome! And I like the intermediate rating over all. Definitely recommend with at least a good clearance 4x4 capable car if you’re doing the whole loop.
We went around the look in a counter clockwise fashion at the end of January and there was a good amount of the trail that was packed snow. (More than 90%). So given our conditions, I would say 80% of the trail is easy peasy. Doable with 2x4. Another 15% of the trail was no big deal with any 4x4 with at least SUV clearance.
The last 5% consists of three specific short sections that were quite technical in our stock Nissan Xterra. I wouldn’t suggest it in anything lower clearance than that. I think most of the difficulty came from the snow pack,but they were some decently large boulders and holes. These places were all on the section at the end that connects the two sides of the Y. So you can avoid them if you’re worried about it. Overall, I really enjoyed it! Don’t be the guy that’s stuck in the frozen river though. Know your limits. Drive careful.

off road driving

had a blast. not too technical. made it through in a stock escape . barely:) end of November...

off road driving

Real fun. Took the loop part of the trail counterclockwise. Couple spicy spots just after you come over the 'top' of the loop and are heading back out. Otherwise pretty mellow but still fun. 2dr Rubicon, ran nearly all of it in 2wd no problem. Never went to 4lo.

off road driving

fun trail with good views and a bunch of giant (think room and house sized) rocks you navigate in between. has a section of obstacles with S-M rocks and stairs (8"-12"). nothing too technical, its just pretty tight. i think a full size truck would have a problem on this trail. if you'd like to see a video of the trail i have one up at:

07 ranger manual
bilsteins
13psi
33"
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Great beginners trail. Gonna definitely need to put it in 4 wheel to get through some spot.

Buetiful easy trail

off road driving

Was challenging at some points of the trial but was also an easy trail for first timers.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Great trail not too difficult at all.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Pretty cool trail. took the family camping and had no problem finding a great spot way down the trail near some giant boulders. all and all it is a fun trail with some great camping.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

I came up Rampart Range Rd. from the Springs and went up 311a, 311, 307. was raining while I was up there May 27th, 2017. not slick at all except for the climb up the large rutted hill on 311a. I locked it into 4 lo one time the whole trip. My daughters loved it, not much traffic around. Ran into a few vehicles on the trails. At that time I was running 1" below stock hieght due to worn shocks and springs. 30% tread on AT tires, lsd rear.
Great day trip,

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Overall its a fun trail i wasnt really prepared for 311a with the boulders and mud the little creek was cool too but i made it out

scenic driving
Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Feb 26, 2017 Trail was totally snow covered, but none was deep. Trail is mostly easy (w/4WD), but fun. Two stock Tacos had no difficulty, except for a couple of spots between 311 and 311A.