Saxon Mountain

Saxon Mountain is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Endless switchbacks climb high above Georgetown Great views of Georgetown and I-70 corridor. Mt. Evans can be seen from the top. Endless switchbacks are impressive. Old log cabins scattered along the route. Don't miss historic Georgetown and a new visitor center. Parking space is limited at the bottom. Unlicensed vehicles should consider accessing the area via Cascade Creek Road 116, where there is more room to park. High Point 11,400 ft., Best time to go: Late June-Early October. Located in Arapaho National Forest. For current conditions call Clear Creek Ranger District (303) 567-3000 Narrow road in spots is prone to rock slides, especially after periods of heavy rain. Conditions can change quickly. The road is rocky and bone jarring but suitable for stock, high-clearance SUVs under normal conditions. Stay off road if snow covered.

off road driving

Fun trail went up Saxon then down cascade creek. Very bumpy trail with a few tight spots. Iced out road was an issue. We were lucky to have someone on the other side to help us across.

I took this route on the way down, from Cascade Creek went to the peak of the mountain turned around then went to goerge town. Had to cross a Iced out road, Lil sketchy, then the route down the mountain, was close call coming within inches of a sheer cliff, making it exciting as ever. Dont take a wide vehicle on this people.

off road driving

...bouncy and jarring 95% of the way.... high clearance only.. a few spots are tricky ... 1 spot is pretty scary..

I love this app

off road driving

Came down this trail after going up to Saxon from cascade creek trail. 2015 power wagon on Toyo 35s down to about 40. Got some body damage from a too tight squeeze. Going to try again from Georgetown. Fun trail. Pushed my limits.

off road driving

The first few miles has pretty views and it's fun. After that the road just gets narrower and the cliffs higher, still pretty unless you are afraid of heights. I used a spotter a couple of times when I had to go around boulders where the road narrowed. I only bottomed out once and the skid plates did their job. We Aired down to 10psi and my butt thanked me later.
Driving a 1980 CJ-5, 31" tires and hubby drove 2017 Rubicon, 35" tires.

off road driving

First don't waste time going up to the Mt. Evans Ranger Station, no good detailed maps. Started the trail on the Mt. Evans side planning to end in Georgetown. Trail started off fairly easy off the main road. Great views the entire time. The closer you get to the summit the tougher it gets, and then there is the down hill into town.... this is definitely a butt kicker to say the least. Lots of places to stop and take a breather and take in the views. At the summit you will get the best cell service you have ever had.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

This trail is definitely challenging! First off, most people won't believe it but I managed to get to the top of Saxon Mountain in a VW Passat 4motion! It's got a a 2-inch lift and slightly bigger tires. The first part of the trail went without a hitch, which made me think it was a piece of cake, until a series of obstacles presented themselves and became indeed treacherous. The first in line was that rock fall on the inner side, leaving very little space to pass. 2 options, scratching your car or falling off the cliff. As mentionned before, a spotter could have been useful but I stepped out of the car at least 10 times to make sure I wasn't going into one of the aforementionned situations. Then that switchback that has rocks and debris on the outter side leaving not option but taking it on the inside. The consequence is a very steep approach angle. I had to use my offroad traction aid to pull this off. Then a very rocky stretch but overall fine. The ultimate show stopper is that rockfall probably a bit passed halfway in the trail. My god, I was debating if I was turning back but the thought of going back through all of the obstacles made me work on this one for over one and a half hour. The strategy ultimately was to reconfigure the trail by moving rocks with my hands and some bigger ones using a shovel as a lever. It was intense. Altitude symptoms also kicked in for me as I'm not used to this. Eventually I passed it only to hit 2 more passages that would have required locking diffs. The solution for me was to pass an inch-away from the cliff. After that, I completed my ascension to the top in the dark. I spent the night there and woke up to magnificient views, alone at 12000ft. What an adventure! Be ready, bring a lot of water, recovery gear and so on. The return through the trails behind the mountains was almost as challenging. I finally got out and went to my train ride/oktoberfest in Georgetown! The beer was good!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

amazing views!

rock climbing
Sunday, October 16, 2016

First off this was a bitch that kicked me in the ball sack. The trail starts off quite rocky and continues that way until the size of the boulders increases. At one point I swear I had one tire on the very edge of the mountain cliff. This trail is not for the faint of hearted I believe it ascends around 3000 feet. I drove up confidently in a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles. I had just swapped out my very bald stock tires for some slick BFGoodrich KO 2 all terrain tires so I thought I would be able to concur anything right? I was wrong. I came to a section of the road where the road narrowed quite significantly. To one side of the road was a big ass boulder and the other side was the side of the mountain. Needless to say I was hugging the boulder side of the road and inadvertently scraped the side of the jeep. Once I proceeded past the damage I continued on to ascend the road. After again ascending up the treacherously rocky road I continued to a point that was a real ball breaker. The road switched back to the left and was quite steep. I continued on after quite a struggle to ascend the steep grade. I then found myself up on a small rock about to split to hugh ass boulders. The better side of me came about and I decided to turn around at that point. I backed down on a very narrow roadway and proceeded to turn around and continue on my way down. About the half way point I turned right instead of left and found myself in unfamiliar terrain. I quickly descended the road and found myself at at dead end! My only option at this point was to reverse to the top where I made the wrong turn. I started my reversal and found myself in an all too familiar position. I was backing through a big boulder and the edge of the mountain cliff. I finally navigated my way in reverse back to where I started. I continued my ascent down and finally reached the bottom My god I am grateful I made it down in one piece. One final word. This road trail can and will kick you in the ball sack. I recommend you have a very high clearance vehicle as well as a good spotter as you're going to need it. Going up this road with a stock vehicle is not recommended. Bring someone along with you to watch your back. This is a difficult off road trail unless your prepared.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Definitely a long hike. It is a service road that is extremely rocky. Worth the time to take it to the top.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Not really that easy, LOTS of rocks, in fact we didn't finish and turned around.

Monday, August 29, 2016