Sauls Creek Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bayfield, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 705 feet Route Type: Loop

Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well.

Very nice hike thru the pines. Counterclockwise will have u go up a couple steep but relatively short climbs. Better to go up them then down them imho. Trails are not well marked but GPS works all along. Bring ur phone to help track.

icy

Easy trail with some pretty nature views. Not marked well at all and lots of broken glass on a chunk of the trail. Wasn’t the best.

Enjoyed being alone on the trail with my dogs. Reasonable trail for a trail run. Not really any spectacular views and was not psyched about the parts on a forest road. There is barely any signage so I strongly recommend downloading the all trails map. There is plenty of 4G to help make sure you don't get lost.

Easy kid friendly hike. Nice views, great wildflowers in early summer. A great way to spend a few hours !

I would not call this an easy hike. There are parts that will task you! Starting with the trailhead you immediately go up 100 or so feet at a steep angle. Then pretty easy until mile 5 or so when you have to come down. There was one section that was very steep and fraught with stones and loose dirt. Beware! Also the all trails guide is apparently outdated as parts of the trail are now service roads to the walking jack gas pumps. In other places the actual trail was totally different from the trail guide in the app We ended up just going the direction we knew the car to be. An update to the loop is really needed. Also there are numerous small loops according to the trail map at the trailhead. Still a good workout.

Horrible, lots of trash. Broken beer bottles, cigarette butts, even a nasty old mattress dragged up there

Nice family friendly trail

ohv/off road driving

very beautiful and perfect riding tails for 4 wherlere

ohv/off road driving

The trail needs more markers although my husband had no trouble navigating this beautiful area. There are a few steep places in the trail and we had to turn around once because it was not recommend that it was safe for ATV's on the incline. I downloaded AllTrails while on the trail (there is good signal) because I wanted to see where we where. Glad I did.

Disappointing. This trail has good reviews but our party found nothing to like about it. There are no creeks and nothing really interesting to report. It felt more like a hike in the Texas Hill Country than a hike In Colorado. The area was so crisscrossed with other trails that it was not possible to stay on course. If you just want to wander around and get some exercise, this trail is fine. If you hope to get a taste of Colorado beauty, keep looking.

Fri May 10 2019

Just hiked this in May and I must thank Kenny for the advice to hike it clockwise, as there is an incline that I barely made it down, let alone up. It was raining and in the high 30’s. Beautiful vistas and worth the wet hike. Only issue I had was mud accumulating on my boots until it felt like I was hiking in platforms, and cleaning them off (while on trail)was futile. A great hike for this 30 yo, but harder for his 60 yo hiking companion.

Thu Jul 19 2018

Friends of mine and myself have ridden this trail a few times lots of areas to ride on not difficult at all be careful of shooters in the area they use that area as a place to shoot their guns and practice does not mix well with horses but all in all very nice place to ride.

Sun Jun 17 2018

Nice trail. Good views of the La Plata mountains.

Tue Jun 12 2018

If I were going to do this one again I’d walk it clockwise. Couple of pretty good climbs going the other way on this “easy” trail!! Beautiful walk. Great views up on top. As other have mentioned this would be an incredibly hard trail to follow without some kind of nav. The All Trails app made it fairly straight forward though we made one wrong turn. Beautiful walk. Well worth it.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Nice trailhead with map. Pretty area but trails not marked at all! Great vista!!

Fri Sep 08 2017

If we didn't have All Trails we would have gotten lost. Not well marked! Other than that, beautiful trail with incredible vistas!

recorded Sauls Creek Trail