Sarvis Creek

Sarvis Creek is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Yampa: West Trailhead (County Road 18 ): Follow State Hwy 131, 8 miles north from Yampa to County Road 14. Go east on 14, 4 miles to County Road 18A. Follow 18A east 0.6 mile to County Road 18. Follow 18, 3.2 miles to the trailhead.

Initially I was disappointed by the closed gate at the Stagecoach end. But the 1.5 mile hike to the trailhead was quite beautiful. And relatively flat. So that was not a problem. While I enjoyed the forest, and the solitude (I did not see anyone else on the trail), was disappointed that the trail did not go along side Sarvis creek? I could not see the creek for the entire first 2 miles on the trail. So then I turned around. The only time I was able to see the beautiful creek was right at the official trailhead. That is why I gave this hike a low rating.
Does this trail ever go along side the creek??

I recommend waiting until late-May to hike the trail...recently did an overnight backpacking trip here and could only get about 2.5 miles in (due to snow that was 1 - 2 feet in places) before I had to make camp. You could see the snow was rapidly melting, but it will take a while. Also, you will have to park about 1.5 miles from the trailhead and walk a dirt road to the Sarvis Creek trailhead...this will be the case until a downed tree is cleaned up on the access road.

I look forward to coming back this summer and hiking the entire trail. The scenery was great, and I did see a bald eagle and herd of elk on my short hike.

Great trail, lots of bear markings so be watchful! Didn't make it quite to the end as weather was turning ominous. Would highly recommend it!

Beautiful trail! Some overgrown grass in areas, so make sure to wear bug spray! We turned around after 3 miles in due to a mountain lion on the trail! He was chilling on a rock in front of us and didn't seem concerned with us, but we weren't comfortable continuing on. There were several small creeks and streams that would be good for dogs.

Stunning, alpine woods. Alongside a creek for portions of the way. Some wildflowers were out. Most of the outbound trek is uphill on compacted dirt trail. After the bridge, about 2 miles out, the trail is narrower and rockier due to less use, but still beautiful. We went at 8:30am and had the trail to ourselves.

Went about 6 miles (round trip). The trail is well maintained, with nicely varied uphill and downhill sections of the trail. Trail conditions were dry.

Mostly uphill. Very narrow with high grass in many spots. Lots of Aspen trees and woods scenery. Go as far as you like and enjoy!

We were there on May 28th and the gate was locked, but we walked 2 miles to trailhead and it was worth it. Most of trail is beautiful single track with lots of aspen. Very pretty setting along a creek. Moderate and consistent upslope. Sections of trail were pretty sloppy and muddy after prior days rain. Overall, excellent trail.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Nice easy trail! We turned back at the bridge. Lovely combination of forest, tall grasses, and wildflowers on the hike, and the creek was beautiful. We only saw a couple other people along the way, so it was nice and quiet.

Monday, July 06, 2015

Challenging but Sarvis Creek is beautiful with so many pools and wildflowers galore

Friday, March 10, 2017