Sandbeach Lake Trail

Sandbeach Lake Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,086 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Went up today 11/23 with just microspikes. Snowshoes may have helped the last mile but doable without. Only saw one guy and one group of women the entire day. Windy near the lake but the whole trail is within trees so it is bearable. Would definitely rate this as a moderate trail, no steep climbs, routefinding or obstacles. With the snow, and taking into account it is almost 9 miles use your best judgement, but the trail itself isn't bad. If you happened to drop some spikes today Sat. 11/23 between 10am - 1 pm and can message me on FB any details (color/brand) I will try and get them back to you!

icy

Mostly snowpack, traction needed but definitely not snowshoes. Fairly windy throughout but was tolerable enough at the lake for us to spend some time there. Only saw a few other hikers the whole four hours.

Just did this hike today, I’m not going to lie it was extremely difficult today due to the 4-5 inch snow covering the trail. We were the only people to make it to the lake, all others we seen turned back. The lake was beautiful once we reached it. It’s worth the work. This trail is definitely rated correctly! I think my wife’s favorite part was seeing our rental car in the parking lot on the final stretch! I will do it again only with no snow next time.

We arrived a little past 8:30am and got the last spot in the parking lot. Before we got out of the car we saw a moose wandering around by the trail. We waited in the car until he had moved on before starting. It was a windy day but not too bad. The trail is very doable because it switches off from uphill to downhill to flat! The lake at the top is spectacular if a bit windy.

good trail. I arrived at 830am on a beautiful Sunday in late September and was worried that there would be no parking based on some of the previous comments, but there were still 4 or 5 at the time. consistently uphill but not obnoxiously so, some flatter spots to catch your breath and get your legs back. lots of beauty in the hike up (and down), but the lake is beautiful and the best part of the hike. Super quiet on the trails, I was the first hiker up; saw a few groups of backpackers up at the lake and a few groups and other hikers on the way down but less than a dozen.

The lake is very pretty but rated it 4 because the trail itself is your standard fare. I’m not sure why it’s rated difficult, it does have elevation gain but since it’s a steady climb for over four miles it isn’t as steep as many trails. The aspens were beginning to turn and there were a few lovely spots along the way.

Loved the beach at the end. Did an overnight backpacking trip. Pretty hike.

Challenging hike with great views. Lots of areas to get water. Not too busy and trail easy to follow.

Did this hike today on a perfect day. Saw a few backpack ers hiking out and no one at the lake. Beautiful views. My Strava said 9 mi RT and 2091’ Others options to follow the Creek south or to Chiefs head and even Longs or Meeker. as well as other big peaks. No trail

Enjoyed this trail, somewhat rocky in places, but well maintained. Two stream crossings over long bridges, lots of flowers, lake was nice, we had no bugs. Will definitely be hiking this trail again. We saw only 5 people total, one was a guy oblivious to the fact dogs are not allowed on trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, let alone off leash; and sadly a jerk to people hiking. No, it did not ruin my hike, but it bothers me that people do not think the laws are there for them to follow. Several people on the trail complained about how rude he was, and that he was breaking a federal law.

I arrived at the parking lot at 6:35am on Saturday, August 17th. Thankfully, there was still three parking spots left. A few minutes after I pulled in, two other cars filled up the remaining parking spaces. I definitely recommended arriving early. The trail was well maintained and not as difficult as I thought it would be. It's pretty much all uphill but that makes it easier on the way back. I arrived at the lake around 8:30am. I was able to enjoy the area for 45mins before a few other groups of backpackers & other hikers arrived. I couldn't quite rate this one 5 stars because I was really missing my sidekick, Breezy.

The lake is really nice and the view of Mount Meeker is fabulous.

Pretty nice trail, mostly steep on the entire way up to the beach. Not super challenging in my opinion. The trail doesn’t seem as buggy if you get there early!

Going up is extremely tough, it is basically all uphill with no breaks. The view is awesome and worth the time! Coming down is easy and will be done in a fraction of the time

Saturday morning got to the lot by 830 and was 2nd to last spot; straight elevation gain for a good majority of the trail. Challenging yet extremely rewarding for the bigger-than-expected sandy beach and lake. 5.5 hours which included a solid hour having lunch at the lake. sidenote: if you rate a trail low because of an uncontrolled variable (children, weather, bugs) during your experience, please stay home.

Loved the hike! Go there at 7:00 am on Sunday and lot was almost full. The reward was the beautiful lake and views of Pagoda Mountain, Mount Meeker, Copeland Mountain , and a tiny view of Longs Peak. About 11:00 am a moose strolled right on the beach and hung out for about 30 minutes eating grass by the lake. Amazing!!

Bring bug spray and get there early. The parking lot was nearly full when I arrived at 9am on a Saturday because the trailhead is also the start point for several camping spots. The trail itself was decent, pretty average by RMNP standards and was closer to 10 miles round trip. The lake was neat just because it had a beach which you don’t see a lot of. The only downside was a few loud kids with their parents which totally ruined the atmosphere. Just a couple of prepubescent banshees making god awful sounds. Wear condoms people, nobody wants to deal with your dumb kids.

Great trail. It took us close to 4 hours for RT. It is exactly 9 miles from Parking lot.

Hi great trail but you have to complete it to get the reward of seeing this big lake at 10,000 ft Steady climb nothing super steep - just keep going and you’ll make it This is the second time we have done this walk

Question to all who have made this hike: is the trail itself smooth or rocky like others in RMNP? I broke my foot on 7/4 and am wanting to hit Sandbeach with my daughter next week. I can handle climbing, but not rocks. Not sure I can do it if it is a bumpy trail. Thanks in advance!

It was a beautiful trail today. Some wildflowers and streams from the winter run off. It was pretty hot at times with the southern exposed trail. Nice shady spots as well. It tends to have quite a few “ups” But it was well worth it getting to the lake and sandy beach. Not a lot of other hikers. A few nearby campers. The sandy beach is worth the effort.

Backpacked in on 7/18, then climbed Mt. Orton and Chiefs Head Peak before heading out on 7/20. The payoff is the lake. The trail itself is nice enough, but nothing special compared to others in RMNP. It's a fairly steady uphill climb to the lake with a few short stretch of flat. Hiking out on Saturday morning we saw about a dozen groups heading up for the day. @Dan Lehman--The trail itself is mostly smooth, but there are definitely a few stretches where it gets a little rocky. Not nearly as bad as other areas of the park, but it IS the Rockies... Without knowing your situation, I'd say proceed with extreme caution.

Camped overnight in site 2. Great spot with plenty of space for tents and hammocks. The lake was beautiful and the water inlet stream offered an easy filtering location. Very well-maintained trail with easily identified forks and stops along the way. Went in hope of catching a fish or two but ended up just relaxing. Sandbeach Lake is a perfect overnight spot with a beautiful backdrop for dinner and breakfast. Would definitely go again.

Really well maintained forest trail and a pretty easy hike to the lake. The lake itself is gorgeous. We tried to find the half mile spur trail off the lake, but whatever looked like a trail dead ended with fallen trees and over growth so we just turned back.

We hiked this yesterday and were thrilled with the beautiful reward at the end. Sandbeach Lake and the backdrop view of mountains with snowfields is truly spectacular. We felt it had moderate traffic, moderate but well-varied wildflowers,a lot of welcome shade, and no snow. The sound of a rushing stream was a welcome sound as well for about the last third of the hike in. We did it as a long but worthy day hike, but saw a lot of backpackers on the trail as well.

Fantastic hike! Plenty of shade, some nice views along the way. Really enjoyed our time at the lake!