Sandbeach Lake Trail

Sandbeach Lake Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

beach

Great day out. Very few people, but trail was well packed. Boots and microspikes all the way to the lake, but snowshoes to cross the lake as the margins are pretty wet and soft.

Hiked up to the lake today...only needed hiking boots with microspikes and gators..upper 3/4 of trail snow covered...mostly packed trail and hiking thru 2-6" of fresh snow on top...a little postholing when reached the lake.. big time wind..be sure to bring layers and maybe a stove and something to warm up with... Part of beach blown free of snow. No other people encountered. Glorious. Approx 5 hours RT.

We broke the trail and encountered 4 other parties coming up as we were going down so the trail should be decently worn in now. Traction devices might be helpful -- as would snowshoes in the last mile or so, however we did the whole trail with boots and gaiters, which kept our pants nice and dry.

The snow made the hike more challenging, but nice nonetheless.

Absolutely gorgeous lake! I agree with others stating this trail is more moderate than “hard”. I’d say the first 3.5 miles is moderate and the last push to the lake is moderate+. You spend the majority of the hike on a tree lined trail but there are a few moments where you get a great view of Wild Basin. The trail is OK (for RMNP), the lake is worth the trek though! Also, aspens are almost done so get up here quick!

Loved this hike. It was my first hike in Colorado, so I definitely thought it was 'hard'. The ending at Sandbeach lake is beautiful and the hike along the way takes you through beautiful terrain. Highly recommend - especially coming from Denver.

Did this trail today 9/8/18. It is dry with only a slight breeze at the lake. Trail is a steady uphill trek. Some rocky areas and some flat gravel areas. The aspen trees are quickly changing all along the route. The far south side of the lake gives great views of Mount Meeker, Longs Peak and Chiefs Head. Very few people on the trail or at the lake which is why I like this trail.

2018-0910 started this hike at around 9:15 AM thinking 8.6 miles or so of hiking round trip won't be bad. it is a beautiful hike and the leaves are just changing color. I would rate this as a moderate to strenuous hike mostly because of the gradual elevation change which isn't that bad. One just has to take it slow going up, which I did and took a lot of breaks. My GPS measured the distance as ~ 12+ miles round trip. The sign that says 3.1 miles to Sandbeach is incorrect. it is more like 4.5 miles from that sign. I did not see anyone on the trail going up but on the way down I met 2 people. Going up you pass 5 camp sites the last one being next to Sandbeach. On the return, I did it non-stop except for stopping to comment to the 2 hikers going up that it was a challenging hike.
The Sandbeach is beautiful and I stayed to eat lunch. 3 other hikers showed up to have lunch near the beach too. They appeared to come from one of the distant campsites.
I am glad I did this hike today as the weather was perfect, clear skies and light breeze along with the changing colors of the leaves

Lots of squatch sign, keep your head up.

Great hike. We did this on 8/25.Beautiful views along the ridge and beautiful lake. Get there before 7 to get a parking place

Hiked Saturday, 8/4- got there at 12 and there were a few open parking spots. Fairly strenuous, mostly uphill. I clocked it at closer to a little over 9 miles total. The lake is crystal clear and huge. Very cool to see the sand too. I give this 3 stars because, for me, it didn’t compare to many other hikes I’ve done in this area (especially for the effort). Glad I did it but don’t necessarily feel the need to repeat this one.

Nice wooded, shady trail with a beautiful lake at the end! Arrived at about 7:45 on Tuesday morning and there wasn’t much parking available because people go up and camp overnight. 4.5 miles to the lake wasn’t bad, and a lot of it was fairly flat. Lots of ripe blueberries along the top half of the trail! Lake was mostly quiet when I arrived around 9:30, but started to get busy by 10:30. Many nice campsites and pretty area to explore around the lake. Would do again!

Excellent hike. I would put this on the more moderate side. The incline is pretty gradual a lot of the time, with only a few steeper sections. Great views of Wild Basin along the way, as well as the usual suspects (Longs, Meeker, Copland, etc.). We did this as our Plan B hike on a rainy day, as it's all under tree cover. Highly recommend for a rainy or sunny day!

You will see a lot of lists with "the best hikes in RMNP" and their are a ton of them. This one goes on the list. Steady climb for four and half miles with a few steep spots. A few good views of the Wild Basin along the way. The lake and surrounding area is spectacular. Next time I will plan to spend a lot more time on the sandy beach. Although the parking lots was very full we did not see a ton of people on the trail. Get there early if you want to park in the lot close to the trailhead. Another great RMNP hike to add to your list.

Great day hike with incredible views at the top!

This was honestly one of my favorite hikes. I can understand why it is rated as hard, as the trail has plently of uphill, downhill, you name it. but it's absolutely beautiful. You are in mostly forest and right now its very green with wildflowers along the way, as well as streams. I had the pleasure of seeing some wildlife on the day I went! The lake is remarkable with the sand around it, clear waters! Would do again. Yes, it is in RMNP so it is good to be reminded you will have to pay for parking. I went in the afternoon in the middle of the week wasn't busy for me.

Great, well maintained trail with a beautiful, large lake with arkose sand beaches as a payout. I found this trail to be tame and very doable in a morning (8-12).

This was such a beautiful trail. We went yesterday 6/16 and had a great time. I do have to say almost 9 miles is difficult especially if you are just getting into it. It is a lot longer and more difficult than I expected it to be. The last stretch of incline before the lake can be brutal. But the view was sooooo worth it. I would absolutely recommend this just make sure you take your time and be careful on the slippery rocks if it rains like it did with us. I would ease on the side of caution if you aren’t experienced . This was only the second trail I have done since trying to get into hiking this summer and I could hardly walk last night. But I did it! It is possible and the view is totally worth it.

June 9: Great hike. Leave early to beat the parking lot crowd. Moderate but constant climb to the lake. Good workout!

June 2: Please note before you head for this trail: parking at the trailhead is very limited (maybe 20 spots) and you’ll need to pay (or show a valid park pass) to get into Rocky Mtn NP. (The trailhead is next to the entrance station, which may be manned depending on time of day and time of year of your visit.) There is additional parking a little further inside the park, and an outhouse at the trailhead. That said, this is an awesome hike! A deceptively difficult yet gorgeous hike up and along a forested ridgeline of ponderosa, lodgepole, aspen and fir. Lots of views of the valley in the first mile as you climb. A couple stream crossings (with log bridges) and some lovely stream side views in the middle miles. The last mile has some steeper sections that are rocky (big steps up over small boulders), but it’s worth it. A couple little patches of packed old snow still there at the top but won’t hinder you at all in regular hiking footwear. The lake is stunning; medium-grained granite sand is great for lounging. Views all around, and an especially spectacular view of Longs Peak. Will definitely hike again, and plan to spend more time exploring and enjoying the lake! (I gave only four stars because this trail felt a little harder than I expected based on reviews and didn’t have a lot of mountain views in the middle, but it was definitely a fantastic hike!)

Great hike and a little challenging. Some snow still present but was not an issue. The lake is amazing and is worth the hike!

A nice hike to the Sandbeach Lake. Mostly all up and seldom not. Not an easy trail and difficult either.....but easy does it. Go slow and make it easy for you to not get tired if you are not an athlete. I did this trail on 27th May and had fun. Lake Beach is nice.

Got a late start on this amazing trail 2 days ago so we were coming back down after dark. Snow still in the trees around 10,000ft but NO traction or snowshoes required, just be cautious of post-holing through. I'd say The last quarter mile or less is snow covered. The lake (and beach) is completely melted and provides an absolutely stunning mountain lake. The rest of the trail is relatively uneventful (still beautiful) with some views of the canyon, rocky outcropings, and alpine woods. Camping by permit only! I'll be returning with a permit ASAP. Enjoy

Beautiful hike in the trees with nice vistas to the south and south east early in the hike and north to Longs Peak at the end. Made it to the parking lot about 6:15 am and didn’t see anyone on the trail until I was heading back from the lake. Looong line to get into Wild Basin by the time I got back about 10:45. Last tenth of a mile to the lake is still 2+ feet of snow, and it’s starting to soften.

Went yesterday. Fitbit said it was 5 miles to get there. No snow until the last 3/4 miles. Not much of it and snow is not a factor for the hike, you can just walk along the side of the snow. Lake is mostly all thawed out and only a couple snow spots on the "beach" Amazing hike. Amazing lake. One of the best mountain lakes.

Great day! Several very steep sections, plenty of flat in between. Put snowshoes on at about 2 miles. Trail was easy to follow even with fresh snow on the ground. Didn’t make it all the way to the lake due to time but will be back soon to finish for sure!

Saturday, January 06, 2018

The first 1.5 miles, dry ground and some snow and hard pack. Next mile, hard-pack and ice and spikes worthwhile. Last stretch 2 mile stretch to the lake deeper snow and can get away with spikes but better done with snowshoes. Trail is used so easy to follow. Once at the lake, no snow on the ice and gorgeous view of Meeker and Longs Peak. Not the most scenic on the hike as you are in the trees a lot but when you get the the lake, it is all worth it.

Friday, December 01, 2017

A nice hike in RMNP. Early December, 2017. Temp: upper 30s/ low 40s, clear day, lots of wind. Trail conditions: First third was clear and dry, last two-thirds was packed snow and some ice. Traction was helpful, but maybe not necessary.

Friday, November 03, 2017

The view is fricking amazing. But the trail is poorly maintained. The roads were cut off, trail is not properly labeled. I almost got lost with all the misdirection. The elevation is the hardest part.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Windy at the lake, beautiful snowy peaks, trail had icy spots the last mile or so, lots of up but I think the first mile or two were the worst

Monday, September 18, 2017

09/17/17 - Started at 11:30am a bit late, but still able to parki. The hike is beautiful this time of year. Golden and peach-ish colored Aspens align the trail on/off. The entire hike is lovely, with a mix of mountains views, foilage, and ya know beautiful Mother Nature. We got to the lake at 1:30pm. The lake is quiet unique with sand surrounding the lake. Nice mountains top views. Be sure to walk around the lake to see all the different moutain views. I will definitely do this hike again during foilage time. Awesomeness