Sandbeach Lake Trail

Sandbeach Lake Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

2066 feet

beach

A nice hike in RMNP. Early December, 2017. Temp: upper 30s/ low 40s, clear day, lots of wind. Trail conditions: First third was clear and dry, last two-thirds was packed snow and some ice. Traction was helpful, but maybe not necessary.

The view is fricking amazing. But the trail is poorly maintained. The roads were cut off, trail is not properly labeled. I almost got lost with all the misdirection. The elevation is the hardest part.

Windy at the lake, beautiful snowy peaks, trail had icy spots the last mile or so, lots of up but I think the first mile or two were the worst

09/17/17 - Started at 11:30am a bit late, but still able to parki. The hike is beautiful this time of year. Golden and peach-ish colored Aspens align the trail on/off. The entire hike is lovely, with a mix of mountains views, foilage, and ya know beautiful Mother Nature. We got to the lake at 1:30pm. The lake is quiet unique with sand surrounding the lake. Nice mountains top views. Be sure to walk around the lake to see all the different moutain views. I will definitely do this hike again during foilage time. Awesomeness

We started at 8 am on a Thursday and had ample parking. The trail was a bit more of a challenge. I disagree with the moderate rating; it was much harder than Gem Lake which is rated as difficult. Not only is the last stretch quite strenuous but the trail rarely levels out the entire time, just up up up! Some people have mentioned a lack of views but personally I enjoyed so much of the trail being in the woods, because doing all that uphill without any shade would be much harder. With frequent stops it took us about 3.5 hours to get to the top. We spent an hour at the lake which was wonderful - peaceful, nice views, and very cold water to refresh the feet. Coming down was nearly as hard as going up due to the rocky nature of the trail and took us just under 2 hours. I would recommend hiking poles for this one; I tend to eschew bringing mine but they would have been very helpful here.

This end destination is gorgeous but keep in mind the trail rating in this site is deceiving. I would rate it in the hard or strenuous category. It's all uphill...and the last mile is a chore and a half. I agree with others that being in the woods is great but there is really no scenery or vistas. Parking? Get there super early or like us park on the side of the county road.

Beautiful hike! Not too difficult

The trail has a steady incline, as your first starting out there are great views of the valley, however, soon you are surrounded by trees, it flattens out in some areas but not for long. The last 1\2 mile is pretty steep, trekking poles really come in handy and then you drop down to the lake! The view and hike is beautiful. Kick back, relax eat some grub and enjoy the views!!!!

Great place to camp (permit needed), but might not be great as a day trek. My GPS marked us at 4.7 with 1950 ft of elevation gain. So pretty damn difficult (especially with a all your gear on your back). The lake is gorgeous and the beach is nice. Bring bug spray.

The destination is great. The trail getting to the destination... not so much. I've hiked all around the Wild Basin Area and it really is my favorite area to hike. However, I found the trail itself here to be well... tedious and boring. I can definitely see how camping here would be a great place. But for an out and back hike... well not so much. There are virtually no views to take in (other than a couple early) the entire trail as you are engulfed in the pines. The lake is unique and nice but not sure it's worth it. So relative to many other hikes and lakes, this one (the hike itself) wasn't my personal favorite.