Sandbeach Lake Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,086 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Reservations to enter the park will go on sale through Recreation.gov at 8 a.m. Mountain Time on Thursday, May 28. Reservations will be available to enter the park from June 4 through July 31. The next release will be on July 1, for the month of August and any remaining days that have not been booked for July. On August 1, reservations will be available for the month of September and any remaining days that have not been booked for August. On September 1, reservations will be available for the month of October and any remaining days in September that have not been booked. Permits issued using the reservation system will allow park visitors to enter the park within two-hour windows of availability between 6 a.m. through 5 p.m. This process will facilitate advance payment of entrance fees, minimize contact between park entrance station staff and visitors and limit congestion in parking lots. The permit system will apply to all areas of the park. In the initial opening phase, the park will open approximately 60 percent of the park’s maximum parking capacity or 4,800 vehicles (13,500 visitors) per day.

closed
icy

Trail was closed so we parked near it. On the way back a ranger pulled over a couple who tried to hike and turned them back. I thought it was gonna be secluded (safe) and it was. There was no other people on trail. As I’m informed we can hike locally. And this is less than 10min from my home. But on a way home I saw a sheriff and a Ranger talking to people on Lily lake.

First mile mixed trail conditions, some snow some mud. Second mile was increasingly deep snow. I was following snowshoe tracks with my spikes for a while but I turned around when post-holing too much. Beautiful day though! No park staff on duty.

Hiked on 3/7/20 with early start. Spikes needed all the way. Stay in middle of trail to avoid post-holing. Always a great hike and view of Meeker. The lake is 1/2 snow covered and 1/2 exposed ice. ****REMINDER — dogs not allowed on trail. Read the posted signs. Saw one dog and owner ignore signs.

The view at the lake is beautiful. Used spikes the whole way. The snow got a bit soft towards the end and post holed quite a bit. Snow shoes would have been nice in sections but not required.

icy

Late start and storm stopped us from finishing. Did it without any traction but snowshoes woulda been great the last 2 miles

Went up today 11/23 with just microspikes. Snowshoes may have helped the last mile but doable without. Only saw one guy and one group of women the entire day. Windy near the lake but the whole trail is within trees so it is bearable. Would definitely rate this as a moderate trail, no steep climbs, routefinding or obstacles. With the snow, and taking into account it is almost 9 miles use your best judgement, but the trail itself isn't bad. If you happened to drop some spikes today Sat. 11/23 between 10am - 1 pm and can message me on FB any details (color/brand) I will try and get them back to you!

icy

Mostly snowpack, traction needed but definitely not snowshoes. Fairly windy throughout but was tolerable enough at the lake for us to spend some time there. Only saw a few other hikers the whole four hours.

Just did this hike today, I’m not going to lie it was extremely difficult today due to the 4-5 inch snow covering the trail. We were the only people to make it to the lake, all others we seen turned back. The lake was beautiful once we reached it. It’s worth the work. This trail is definitely rated correctly! I think my wife’s favorite part was seeing our rental car in the parking lot on the final stretch! I will do it again only with no snow next time.

We arrived a little past 8:30am and got the last spot in the parking lot. Before we got out of the car we saw a moose wandering around by the trail. We waited in the car until he had moved on before starting. It was a windy day but not too bad. The trail is very doable because it switches off from uphill to downhill to flat! The lake at the top is spectacular if a bit windy.

good trail. I arrived at 830am on a beautiful Sunday in late September and was worried that there would be no parking based on some of the previous comments, but there were still 4 or 5 at the time. consistently uphill but not obnoxiously so, some flatter spots to catch your breath and get your legs back. lots of beauty in the hike up (and down), but the lake is beautiful and the best part of the hike. Super quiet on the trails, I was the first hiker up; saw a few groups of backpackers up at the lake and a few groups and other hikers on the way down but less than a dozen.

The lake is very pretty but rated it 4 because the trail itself is your standard fare. I’m not sure why it’s rated difficult, it does have elevation gain but since it’s a steady climb for over four miles it isn’t as steep as many trails. The aspens were beginning to turn and there were a few lovely spots along the way.

Loved the beach at the end. Did an overnight backpacking trip. Pretty hike.

Challenging hike with great views. Lots of areas to get water. Not too busy and trail easy to follow.

Did this hike today on a perfect day. Saw a few backpack ers hiking out and no one at the lake. Beautiful views. My Strava said 9 mi RT and 2091’ Others options to follow the Creek south or to Chiefs head and even Longs or Meeker. as well as other big peaks. No trail

Enjoyed this trail, somewhat rocky in places, but well maintained. Two stream crossings over long bridges, lots of flowers, lake was nice, we had no bugs. Will definitely be hiking this trail again. We saw only 5 people total, one was a guy oblivious to the fact dogs are not allowed on trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, let alone off leash; and sadly a jerk to people hiking. No, it did not ruin my hike, but it bothers me that people do not think the laws are there for them to follow. Several people on the trail complained about how rude he was, and that he was breaking a federal law.

I arrived at the parking lot at 6:35am on Saturday, August 17th. Thankfully, there was still three parking spots left. A few minutes after I pulled in, two other cars filled up the remaining parking spaces. I definitely recommended arriving early. The trail was well maintained and not as difficult as I thought it would be. It's pretty much all uphill but that makes it easier on the way back. I arrived at the lake around 8:30am. I was able to enjoy the area for 45mins before a few other groups of backpackers & other hikers arrived. I couldn't quite rate this one 5 stars because I was really missing my sidekick, Breezy.

The lake is really nice and the view of Mount Meeker is fabulous.

Pretty nice trail, mostly steep on the entire way up to the beach. Not super challenging in my opinion. The trail doesn’t seem as buggy if you get there early!

Going up is extremely tough, it is basically all uphill with no breaks. The view is awesome and worth the time! Coming down is easy and will be done in a fraction of the time

Saturday morning got to the lot by 830 and was 2nd to last spot; straight elevation gain for a good majority of the trail. Challenging yet extremely rewarding for the bigger-than-expected sandy beach and lake. 5.5 hours which included a solid hour having lunch at the lake. sidenote: if you rate a trail low because of an uncontrolled variable (children, weather, bugs) during your experience, please stay home.

Loved the hike! Go there at 7:00 am on Sunday and lot was almost full. The reward was the beautiful lake and views of Pagoda Mountain, Mount Meeker, Copeland Mountain , and a tiny view of Longs Peak. About 11:00 am a moose strolled right on the beach and hung out for about 30 minutes eating grass by the lake. Amazing!!

Bring bug spray and get there early. The parking lot was nearly full when I arrived at 9am on a Saturday because the trailhead is also the start point for several camping spots. The trail itself was decent, pretty average by RMNP standards and was closer to 10 miles round trip. The lake was neat just because it had a beach which you don’t see a lot of. The only downside was a few loud kids with their parents which totally ruined the atmosphere. Just a couple of prepubescent banshees making god awful sounds. Wear condoms people, nobody wants to deal with your dumb kids.