San Carlos Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rye, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,384 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trailhead for this hike is on Forest Service Road #320. Please consult San Isabel National Forest road maps before attempting this hike, as GPS routes in this area might lack certain roads leading to the trailhead. Motorcycles may also use this trail.

We really enjoyed this trail as a surprise after our original plan failed. It’s really lovey and green, very peaceful and quiet without much traffic. The mid part of it gets very narrow and rocky/slippery if you don’t have good shoes and if you struggle with balance I’d recommend a walking stick. Good trail for dogs but only if they are frequent hikers because of the amount of gravel and rock! We definitely look forward to this one again.

Just hiked this trail yesterday. Beautiful weather, no snow on the ground and dry. Came in to the trailhead from Route 78 near Beulah. About a 16-20% grade descent coming down and on the ascent back. Crossed the creek twice at the bottom. Very manageable. Saw a couple deer but that was it. Gorgeous views and lightly traveled. Poles weren’t needed but helped at times. Enjoy this trail...it’s a good one!

actual directions! I 25 south to Colorado city/rye exit Hwy 165. pass up Colorado city next passing rye Colorado. look for the ymca youth camp in the left side of the hwy about a mil and a half up on the right hand side street sign Robb rb turn right! A mile down the rd ends turn right on old San Isabel rd. About another mile up you'll see the sign for San Carlos trial and campground on the left. You Need 4x4 ! Head threw the main rd down the hill to the campground. You will see the road turns right past the creek. If the roads are muddy you will need 4x4 beyond this point 4 miles to the trail head on the road . Also check out the natural arch trail off the app here for a great hike if you want to hikes.. the main trial to San Carlos is downhill to the creek great brook fishing and some natural water slides if you follow the river down steam trail. You need water shoes you will cross the river a couple times !

If you're ok with hiking through 8-10 inches of snow then you'll love this hike right now. gorgeous scenery with the snow, and the dog loved it too!

My wife and I came to the trailhead via 78 off of 165. About a mile from the trailhead we saw a bobcat and a bear. The trail was nice, most of the way in you will be heading down toward a stream near the end of the trail. There were several beautiful viewing areas. Only saw two other people. Be prepared to work a little bit on the way back to the trailhead. It was a pretty warm day, but there is plenty of shaded areas throughout the hike.

Nice hike for an out of shape 41 y/o smoker. Started at 78 but I didn't go all the way to the river, stopped at about the 2/3 point and returned... which was enough for me! about 2 hours 45 minutes hike time. Beautiful Scenery, but a storm rolled in, which also aided in my decision to turn back.

Sat Jun 01 2019

DIRECTIONS: Do not follow Gps link on All Trails. Put in Pueblo Mountain Park in gps. It should take you on highway 78 toward Beulah. Veer left to stay on 78 instead of going straight on business 78. You will see Pueblo Mountain Park in the right but keep on going. Hwy 78 is also called Park Drive. This road will turn into a dirt road but is not rough. No 4x4 needed. you will go quite a ways up into the mountains. when you come to a meadow look for a big wooden sign on the left. I honestly don't know which end of the trail this is. GPS from All Trails took us to a field on private property. We ended up in the town of Beulah and some really nice folks at the Buelah Inn sent us in the right direction. Now for the trail. From this end the trail basically takes a slow, switch back descent to a river. since this is a short trail we took our time to explore side trails, climb rocks and enjoy the scenery. Some nice vistas. the river was too full to cross. be careful at the bottom, the river put off a mist and my daughter slipped and hit her head on a boulder. She was fine but just a warning. So as you know, what goes down must go up! None of it is super steep but it is all up hill on the way back. Since we we are from Missouri and not used to hiking at 7800 ft. elevation. We had to stop several times to catch our breath but it was well worth it. We went May 2019. the locals told us to watch out for bears since they were out. We didn't see any but honestly made lots if noise on purpose. The trail is well travelled and the trail is clear to follow even though there are no trail markers. since we couldn't criss the river we didn't see the whole thing but hope to go back.

Tue Apr 30 2019

The day we hiked this trail it was a lot cooler, windy and muddier than we expected. So we didn't go as far as we normally would. We will definitely go back when it's warmer and dryer. We liked what we did see and want to see more.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Great trail! I entered on the north end, from 78, and had no problems getting there. The trail was 99% dry, but it does get narrow and rocky in spots. Shaded most of the way down. I came out about 4 in the afternoon, hiked across the stream at the bottom to the mini mountain in the middle, and made it back to my truck in less than 2 and half hours, and that was with a 35 lb. backpack. Remember, the walk down is the easy part, its the way back up that gets ya.

Mon Mar 25 2019

The northern trailhead, unmarked on this map, is much easier to find and access than the southern end. I hiked from the north down to the river and went back after the sun set. Other than some mud in the northernmost half mile, the trail was fine in both daylight and darkness. I even forgot my hiking boots and did the trail in street shoes with no problems.

Fri Oct 05 2018

Not possible to access trail. We drove according to the gps directions and encountered a padlocked gate indicating private property. ☹️

ohv/off road driving
Wed Jul 11 2018

Not so good with a dirt bike. Narrow rocky trail makes it tough to ride. Great for a hike though. Very nice area

Fri Jun 22 2018

Great views of forest to start, after a decent downhill walk, it takes you to some more open areas. This is starting from the Highway 78 side to the North. Even a relaxing night hike if you don't mind using moonlight.

Thu Aug 10 2017

Beautiful, nature at it should be. No people in the trail.

Mon Jun 26 2017

Did the north side of the trail. Pretty steep incline coming back up but well worth it. Beautiful hike.

Tue Jun 20 2017

Beautiful country!

Sat Jun 17 2017

A very nice trailnarrow and steep in parts but was able to get through with a dog and a toddler (mostly carried the toddler).

Fri Apr 08 2016

From the gate on Robb Road, it is a 3.2 mile hike one way to the trailhead according to my GPS. The road was still closed as of 4/7/16, but even when open, it is definitely only passable by jeeps and ATVs in its current condition. Pretty trail, but unless the forest road is open and you have a jeep, be ready for the 6.4 mile round trip approach.

Fri Jan 16 2015

Hiked this with my daughter and son-in-law in October. We chose to follow the river and not the "trail'. Awesome hike with many river crossings and some bushwhacking. Because of just a tight group of hikers and laughter one of the best hikes ever. Because of the bushwhacking, it probably seemed a longer hike, but would do it again in a heartbeat. The arch at the end is awesome. The high canyon walls, moss, fungi, and just total canyon experience of a rarely traveled trail is worth a weekend. And an awesome memory for the future...