Sallie Barber Mine Trail

Sallie Barber Mine Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Followed directions to trailhead. Used app recording to insure we were on the correct path. First surprise was a steeper descent to the stream from the start. Trail narrows at the stream so we backed up and aborted this trip.

Nice first hike with the kid and dog. While neither difficult nor steep, my kid didn't care for the climb, which is pretty steady the whole way. But the creek with little waterfall were nice and the mine was cool.

Easy to find, actually found it by accident. It’s really a dirt road leading up to an old mine. The mine was interesting and we actually took the Trail of Tears back towards the start. Good for families and dogs. The area around the hike is pretty wooded so the views are somewhat obstructed.

Easy hike, not very scenic. It's a dirt road going up to the mine. The mine is interesting and there are some additional hikes off this one.

Good hike for families with small children. Not the most scenic but a great hike for families.

Great hike for kids and families easy track with some elevation. Also some trail heads at the end that more advanced hikers can go on.

For a kid from Kansas, this was a great first trail in Breck. Trail was hard snow packed today from skiers, so in most place the walk was easy. In some places, the thaw/refreeze at this time of year made for slick spots, but I made it fine in hiking shoes. The mine is really cool at the end and I only saw 5-7 other hikers in the trail. Overall, great starter trail.

This trail was a great trail and pretty easy! Only a small incline which was nice because you were not slipping on the snow. The snow was packed down and I did not sink at all. I highly recommend if you want an easier hike and do not want to snowshoe!

I really enjoyed this trail! Not difficult at all and neat to see the mine and view at the top. I could be a little biased because I got engaged here :)

Great starter trail, especially if you aren't used to altitude. Dog and kid friendly. Deep snow, waterproof clothing recommended but not needed. Saw a lot of families with snowshoes, but doable without snowshoes or spikes!

Beautiful views! Of course, it was the Super Blue Blood Moon, so I was destined to be gorgeous! Light/easy hike, and as of January 30th, the snow is packed on trail so bring microspikes..

Great winter hike with view of keystone resort that can be seen from the mine! We brought the dog and was an easy hike for all!

Loved the trail, new snow falling made for a great quiet ascent. The mine on top was neat. Saw many cross country skiing and hiking in snow shoes.

Awesome trail! So pretty and quiet and the mine was a plus. Did it with just hiking boots and was fine. Saw a couple of cross country skiers. Would definitely do it again. Lots of snow :)

I absolutely LOVED this trail I got a little out of puff a few times , just getting used to the altitude . Quite a bit of snow but manageable with boots . Getting up to the top and seeing the mine and the view is awesome . The dogs loved getting to the top and playing in some deeper snow . We carried on up a bit further where it really does get deep but it was fun , very quiet and very beautiful . Hardly met anyone on the trail which is surprising given the beauty of the views . Great for photographers

Absolutely beautiful. The last 1.5 mile drive up to the trailhead is packed dirt. The trail is wide and open with beautiful views. Cool mine at the top.

Good walk/hike. Snowy conditions but didn't stop us in our Nike Running shoes. Beautiful day!

A little ice on the trail yesterday, but very family friendly trail. Other great trails at the top!

Great trail to take the family on

We went here October 12 with our toddler. Took us less than 2 hours with lots of stops. Road to get here is a little bumpy but our sedan did just fine. Some of the path was covered in a little snow. Lots of melting snowfall as well. At the top is old mining stuff and great views!

Easy and beautiful hike.

Good dog walk Trail. We went up from Baldy and have also made a round trip taking Nightmare on Baldy.

We took our kids there as a introduction to hiking: 3 and 6 years old and they were able to finish walking the trail themselves. There are lots to see in the little creek alongside the trail, which made it much easier for little ones to keep engaged. Didn't see wild life, but found many kinds of mushrooms, and collected many pretty rocks. We also collected quite a bit of pyrite at the mine, the 6 years old thought he found gold!

It was a great day for hiking weather-wise... this trail was a bit disappointing. For 95% of it, you're basically hiking up a steep-grade gravel road up a hallway of trees. Not many views to be had until you get to the mine, which is a good payoff. One day I hope to have more time to start up 'Nightmare on Baldy' or one of the other trails that start near here. I found other trails of this length in the area to be more rewarding...

Did this 8/21 to see how I'd do at the high altitude. The Sallie Barber Mine itself was nice, but I was going so well I just kept going, using the Trail of Tears Tr, Weber Gultch Tr, & Nightmare on Baldy up to about the 12,000ft level. Along the way, had great views of the solar eclipse as well as the surrounding countryside. Unfortunately AllTrails locked up, so the entire hike wasn't recorded. It was actually 11 miles long, with about 1,900 feet of climbing, which took me about 5.25 hrs. There was only one steep section, mostly a moderate climb along either old mine roads (I passed over a dozen obvious mine openings along the way) or good trails.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Great for a 6 and 9 year old. It's an old mining road up all the way to the top but easy coming down. Couple of good vistas off to the right on the way up. Old mine at the top is cool. Picked up a lot of pyrite at the top of the mountain. Big bonus on the way down we came across a mother and baby moose. They took over the trail at a little pond formed by the creek that runs next to the trail. We waited about 15 mins until they got into the underbrush and passed. Very awesome for the kids. Stopped at country boy gold mine on the way back to breck. Mine trip was expensive but worth it.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Good leisurely hike up a wide trail, more like an old road. Some pretty views and a small waterfall. The old mine at the top is pretty cool to see. Great views from up there.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great trail for a beginner hiker like myself who especially isn't used to the elevation. Uphill the whole way in, so easy downhill on the way back. It is just a gravel/dirt road really so I can see how some would say it's a little boring, but there is a pretty little stream along part of it and waterfall part of the way up. Awesome views at the top and checking out the mine was really cool too.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Monday, July 10, 2017

Easy assent with not many people. The mining information was cool.