Saint Vrain Mountain Trail

Saint Vrain Mountain Trail is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take Highway 7 to Allenspark and take the Business Loop 7 (which goes through the middle of town) to find CR107. The sign for CR107 is hard to see coming from the south because it's in some trees. Take CR107 as it winds through the neighborhood for about 1.5 miles and it will turn into Forrest Road 116. Follow 116 for about 1/2 mile more and it will split into two (116.1 and 116.2) keep to the right. There is a sign indicating it's the St Vrain trailhead parking. Parking is small and limited. Don't take a big vehicle if you can avoid it, a dually truck will be a big problem on that road.

Awesome hike. Pack of snow and ice for most of the trail. Need to use micro-spikes all the way up until above treeline. No snow at top but very windy,a few more layers will help. The trail is on moose territory, there are 3 of them, Watch out for that. All day, met only 2 groups of hikers.

Do not follow the "Getting There" directions! The map of the trailhead is correct, but the directions will get you to the Middle Saint Vrain Trail, which is a different trail.

Having said that, this was a great hike and pretty tough if you are going all the way up the mountain. The designated trail will not get you there, but there are instructions on how to get to the unmarked trail available elsewhere on the internet which are very helpful. Just things to consider before going

Blue and I hiked this trail today! We had the whole mountain to ourselves. This trail would be great for someone transitioning from an easy hike.

Monday, January 09, 2017

My husband and I went snowshoeing for the first time on this trail. The snowy conditions made parking kind of a pain, but the area was fun and definitely gives you that snowy Rocky Mountain feel. We walked a total of 3.6 miles on this trail (to and fro) and saw amazing sights despite the very deep snow and windy/snowy conditions. We also came across a moose and her calf!

Friday, December 02, 2016

NEED INPUT

I have a question concerning this trail and the connecting trails around it.
I'm attempting to plan a trip that connects Longs Peak to Waterton Canyon in Denver in order to mountain bike from Longs to Waterton Canyon and then the remainder of the Colorado Trail. I mainly just want to begin by summiting Longs Peak then hopping on the bike and heading down highway 7 until I'm out of RMNP and beginning a link of trails and gravel roads until I reach the Colorado Trail trailhead in Denver.
Is mountain biking allowed in this area? I'm from Oklahoma so I apologize for sounding uneducated about all of the regulations regarding mountain biking in certain areas in Colorado. I've been doing some research and have found that some people have mountain bikes some trails in this area, but I haven't found very conclusive answers on many of the trails.
If anyone would please help me out I'd really appreciate the help!

Friday, November 25, 2016

Snowy conditions on entire trail, was trudging through ankle to knee deep snow all the way up to the boulder field. Crampons recommended. Incredible views of neighboring peaks and Longs. East side hike so you're well protected from wind until reaching the ridge. Last 1/4-1/2 mile of road to trailhead parking lot had ~1' snow, 4WD recommended if you plan to park at trailhead.

Friday, October 07, 2016

One of my favorite hikes yet. You hike through a bunch of aspen to start, and then the views above treeline are absolutely amazing. Great 360 view at the top of St vrain. Plenty of room to roam and explore at the base of the mountain. I highly recommend

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Just amazing! Hiked while the aspens were changing color and 10/10 would hike again.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Beautiful hike through fall aspens. Stunning views once you break the tree line. My dog had the time of her life

Monday, June 27, 2016

The trail head is not hard to find and a 2wd vehicle can certainly make it up there no problem. Steady incline until you reach St. Vrain, then there is no trail and it becomes all boulders. It is kindof a scramble to get up the mountain and there is not really a trail. Just go up! Took us 5 hrs total, but we went slow and took breaks. Great views of Longs and other beautiful mountains. Not a heavily populated trail.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Great hike or ski. You straddle the line between the southern RMNP boundary and the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Terrific views, do not forget the camera!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Awesome hike. Use Chris Barkers review for directions and it is easy to find trailhead. Mileage to top of St. Vrain is 9 miles out and back based on GPS. Trail is rocky, hence RMNP!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Beautiful trail up a mountain stream. We only went in @ 2 miles, just past the where the stream ends. Mostly uphill (at least the part we were on). This stands of Aspens which were quite stunning. And the stream had many beautiful resting areas with moss covered rocks under a thick forest of pine.

Saw a few people, but definitely an more remote trail.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Great hike! Beautiful view, easy enough for an afternoon. Even in late June, lots of snow.

Monday, July 07, 2014

The trail is a little hard to find. It's not in the middle of town. You go through town to get to the trail head.

The directions are wrong. You take Highway 7 to Allenspark and take the Business Loop 7 (which goes through the middle of town) to find CR107. The sign for CR107 is hard to see coming from the south because it's in some tree's.

Take CR107 as it winds through the neighborhood for about 1.5 miles and it will turn into Forrest Road 116. Follow 116 for about 1/2 mile more and it will split into two (116.1 and 116.2) keep to the right. There is a sign indicating it's the St Vrain trailhead parking. Parking is small and limited. Don't take a big-assed vehicle if you can avoid it. A dually truck will be a big problem on that road.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

This is complete bullshit. Do not attempt to go here. It is the middle of town. Whoever put this on here is a complete moron. This app really needs an editor.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

It was a simple hike. Not much to it. Camping was simple enough. Trail is more of a day hike than an over night but there was plenty of wild life and some water.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Great hike. This hike didn't feel overly difficult to me, I suppose it got this rating due to the elevation gain. The first 1/3 or so seemed the hardest from a cardio / low oxygen standpoint then it gets easier. Trail was pretty rocky throughout.

I had intended to go to Meadow Mountain, accessible from this trail, but my directions were a bit vague and I never saw an obvious spot to veer onto another trail. I kept on the St Vrain trail past the "wildlife permit required / entering RMNP" sign and followed it out a ways to the peak of something, not quite sure what but it was spectacular.

I finished this hike in 4.5 hours RT, which included a leisurely lunch and lots of photo stops. I'm in pretty good shape, by no means an athlete. Went over July 4 weekend - 1st half of hike saw hardly anyone, saw maybe 15-20 hikers after a couple of hours on the trail. As I approached Meadow Mountain, there was still snow crossing the actual trail - kind of fun for July.