Saint Vrain Mountain Trail

Saint Vrain Mountain Trail is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take Highway 7 to Allenspark and take the Business Loop 7 (which goes through the middle of town) to find CR107. The sign for CR107 is hard to see coming from the south because it's in some trees. Take CR107 as it winds through the neighborhood for about 1.5 miles and it will turn into Forrest Road 116. Follow 116 for about 1/2 mile more and it will split into two (116.1 and 116.2) keep to the right. There is a sign indicating it's the St Vrain trailhead parking. Parking is small and limited. Don't take a big vehicle if you can avoid it, a dually truck will be a big problem on that road.

Awesome hike. Pack of snow and ice for most of the trail. Need to use micro-spikes all the way up until above treeline. No snow at top but very windy,a few more layers will help. The trail is on moose territory, there are 3 of them, Watch out for that. All day, met only 2 groups of hikers.

Do not follow the "Getting There" directions! The map of the trailhead is correct, but the directions will get you to the Middle Saint Vrain Trail, which is a different trail.

Having said that, this was a great hike and pretty tough if you are going all the way up the mountain. The designated trail will not get you there, but there are instructions on how to get to the unmarked trail available elsewhere on the internet which are very helpful. Just things to consider before going

Blue and I hiked this trail today! We had the whole mountain to ourselves. This trail would be great for someone transitioning from an easy hike.

My husband and I went snowshoeing for the first time on this trail. The snowy conditions made parking kind of a pain, but the area was fun and definitely gives you that snowy Rocky Mountain feel. We walked a total of 3.6 miles on this trail (to and fro) and saw amazing sights despite the very deep snow and windy/snowy conditions. We also came across a moose and her calf!

Monday, December 12, 2016

Friday, December 02, 2016

NEED INPUT

I have a question concerning this trail and the connecting trails around it.
I'm attempting to plan a trip that connects Longs Peak to Waterton Canyon in Denver in order to mountain bike from Longs to Waterton Canyon and then the remainder of the Colorado Trail. I mainly just want to begin by summiting Longs Peak then hopping on the bike and heading down highway 7 until I'm out of RMNP and beginning a link of trails and gravel roads until I reach the Colorado Trail trailhead in Denver.
Is mountain biking allowed in this area? I'm from Oklahoma so I apologize for sounding uneducated about all of the regulations regarding mountain biking in certain areas in Colorado. I've been doing some research and have found that some people have mountain bikes some trails in this area, but I haven't found very conclusive answers on many of the trails.
If anyone would please help me out I'd really appreciate the help!

Friday, November 25, 2016

Snowy conditions on entire trail, was trudging through ankle to knee deep snow all the way up to the boulder field. Crampons recommended. Incredible views of neighboring peaks and Longs. East side hike so you're well protected from wind until reaching the ridge. Last 1/4-1/2 mile of road to trailhead parking lot had ~1' snow, 4WD recommended if you plan to park at trailhead.

Sunday, November 13, 2016