Saint Charles Trail

Saint Charles Trail is a 17.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wetmore, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Awesome, challenging hike. Can do either out & back or a full loop back to Lake Isabel. I'd recommend the full loop but was pressed for time the last trip and just went out & back. Great views from the summit!

Make sure you find the summit sign-in (look for a peanut butter jar in the rock pile)!

Insane single track motorcycle trail not for lack of skilled or faint hearted..

Good, not too difficult trail right off the main highway. We did probably 40 minutes of it and "difficulty" was that it was all uphill. Great workout and fun quick dayhike if you're looking for it.

Beautiful hike! If you want an of the beaten path trail, this is it.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

The trail is steep, it was supposed to be from the trail head to summit and back 9.8 miles however we didn't make it to the summit and my pedometer read 10.0 miles. It is absolutely beautiful but it is altitude gain almost the whole way out. You cross several springs while doing long switch backs through a drainage until reaching saddle that leads into another valley. Shorter steeper switchbacks once you get to the next valley. We were unsure how much further and checked the pedometer after we had cleared .25 mile further than what should be the summit we headed back. I later checked the USGS map and found that we were less than 1/2 from the summit. The scenery was amazing and very thick Forrest. I had never seen Spanish moss in the mountains.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Didn't complete the hike since I got started late and some weather started coming in, but the condition was good for the most part. Trail was generally visible, but had to look around a couple times when it was buried in snow. Probably more fun later in the season (or when not wearing shorts). Nice trail though.