Ruby Jewel Road is a 10.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Walden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 km Elevation Gain: 492 m Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Ruby Jewel Route Permitted uses: Foot, horse, bike, motorcycle, ATV, jeep, ski, snowshoe and snowmobile Miles: 4 miles one-way summer / 8 miles one-way winter Elevation: 9,146 feet Elevation gain: feet 800 Comments: Most passenger vehicles can travel the first mile to the car parking area or the Ruby Jewel Yurt. 4X4's can continue for another two miles where the route dead-ends at the Ruby Jewel Trailhead. Dispersed vehicle camping is permitted. http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/StateForest/Pages/Trails.aspx

skiing
Mon Feb 11 2019

2-4” of fresh powder In AM. Had to navigate by GPS above ruby jewel trailhead where motor vehicles are restricted. But it was pretty easy to determine the path just by sight. Skied down south facing slope. Would do again!

Sat Aug 18 2018

This road is a fun road to drive. I did it in my Nissan Frontier. It is very rocky, and there is one place on it where of you don't have a lifted vehicle you won't make it up, but otherwise it is a good road.

Sun Aug 05 2018

I parked my Forester near the yurt and hiked to Ruby Jewell Lake (at treeline) from there, about 3 miles each way. Trail is well marked. Beautiful, green, lots of wildflowers. Cutthroat trout in the lake.

Sun Aug 27 2017

I have done a lot of the trails up here at state forest state park in my Nissan Frontier. some of these trails are pretty challenging with steep rocky switchbacks. Watch out for ATVs, these trails are narrow! I will take pics next time I am up there.

ohv/off road driving