Mount Royal Trail

Mount Royal Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Silverthorne: Take I-70 west to the second Frisco exit, Exit #201, turn east towards the town of Frisco. After crossing the I-70 interchange, take an immediate right into the public parking lot. Walk over the footbridge, turn left onto the paved bike path. Hike 0.5 miles on the bike path to the Mt. Royal trail sign which will be on the right.

I (34yo female, 115 lbs) live at the base of this mountain: great hike for butt and quads. I summit at slow, steady walk in about 45 minutes. Would recommend frequent, short breaks if unfamiliar with altitude. About 25 minutes down at faster pace. Trail is now a mix of packed snow, ice and dirt. Would definitely recommend small spikes or hiking poles this time of year. And stick to the sides of the trail. Low traffic now also. Views are always spectacular - two major clearings: one halfway up of downtown Frisco and top over Rte 70 and Summit Cty. Would recommend head and hand coverings but really no need for heavy jacket, despite it being shadowed by trees - just great base layers, light jacket. You'll be working hard! Signage for trailhead is posted off of bike path.

icy

Hiked this today 11/3 with the two pups. Used spikes the whole way and kinda wish I had brought my poles. Snow is packed down well pretty much the whole way until the last straight away to the ridge. That last part you sink in a bit and definitely got some snow in my boots. VERY windy at the top and did not stay there long. Mostly packed snow, some ice, some mud. And a tree had fallen across the trail while we were at the top and saw it on our way down, but it’s super small and easy to step over.

Great well maintained trail. Completely uphill with a few leveled breather points. worth it for the fantastic views at the top, can go further along and do Victoria if desired.

It's strenuous but definitely worth it! My wife and I are flat-landers from Kansas City. We arrived in Frisco on Friday, hiked 10 Mile Trail Saturday, and then Mount Royal this morning. I'm 37 and she's 34. We are in decent shape but by no means really fit - we've been walking or jogging 2-3 times a week for the past few months until about a week ago. We took several breaks, paced ourselves, and made the hike just fine. Slow and steady for us and we were so glad we did it.

I divide my hiking on Mt. Royal into 5 sections. The 4th section after the switchback is long and pretty steep. As a low-lander most of the year, I have to take 2-4 breathing breaks. I use it as my training trail for other hikes. The view is magnificent. And nothing beats hiking on the trail when the leaves change colors.

This is a hard trail, but very much worth every ounce of energy. The views from the summit are absolutely stunning. I would encourage everyone eager for a challenge to take this one on.

Trail is a tough one as it’s pretty much all uphill. I almost gave up about a mile and a half In, but right as I thought I couldn’t go anymore, we made it! The views were so worth it, it was gorgeous! We got to see all the fall foliage and even a rainbow. Couldn’t have asked for a better fall hike!

The most beautiful one I’ve done in Summit. Tough hike, but not unbearable

awesome! great views!

Worth the climb!

This was a difficult hike. The views are awesome once you get to the top. Lots of dogs on the trails. About half way to the top is when it got very steep.

love this trail! quite steep the entire way but so worth the views at the top. perfect spot for a sunrise hike.

Took about hour ten to summit with two short water stops. Very pretty views at the top worth it but the climb up was steep pretty much the whole way so prepare yourself. I didn’t use poles but I never do and it’s fine! There is some shade which was nice.

Mount Royal is definitely worth the hike, the views through this trail are spectacular. If you do go all-the-way (after the trail’s uphill hike the trail takes you down about 100 feet before having to climb some rocks for the grand finale) you’ll get to see Frisco’s beach and Marina be hugged by the mountainside. The hike itself was really not that hard, although it is steep in some areas, it’s definitely doable. We started the hike from Mt. Royal trail head at 7:30am and hiked at a moderate pace with the occasional break in between for pictures or to catch our breath and we made it to the very end of the hike at 9:00am. Again, if you pace yourself you really should have no problem making the hike. I’d actually say it was harder to come down as the trail was a bit rocky/ steep/ and it was highly trafficked after 9:30am. Some reviews suggest to bring hiking poles, but I honestly don’t think they’re necessary. I should point out the only people we saw using hiking poles were probably 45 years and older. If it helps you gauge the hike in any way, my girlfriend and I are 28 and 30 years young. We workout maybe once or twice a week and run 2-3 times a week. We’re of average to fit build.

Steep climb and many will need to take short breaks for hydration. There is an old mining site about 2/3 the way up if you start this hike at the freeway. If you start at the 2nd parking lot, it’s about halfway to the top. You’ll see many spoil streams to your right on the way up. You need to watch your footing both on the way up and down. Loved the hike!

Definitely bring hiking poles! Beautiful views and worth the uphill for the views.

Not easy! Views are spectacular!!! Take hiking poles!!! Don’t do this hike without them!

Great hike but very difficult in spots. It’s pretty much a steady incline the whole way but worth the trip for the views at the top. Going down is tricky as well. I would recommend hiking poles.