Mount Royal Trail

Mount Royal Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Silverthorne: Take I-70 west to the second Frisco exit, Exit #201, turn east towards the town of Frisco. After crossing the I-70 interchange, take an immediate right into the public parking lot. Walk over the footbridge, turn left onto the paved bike path. Hike 0.5 miles on the bike path to the Mt. Royal trail sign which will be on the right.

View from the top was worth the hike up.

Great views perfect distance!

Very challenging trail, especially the last half. Beautiful views at the top. Grab a walking stick at the trailhead, you'll be glad on the way down.

A relentlessly steep hike that should take about 2 hours for someone in pretty good shape. Great near-panorama views from the top point.

this is my favorite workout. follow this trail for mt victoria and peak one. i like to finish up with a stroll along the mason town trail to rainbow lake.

Excellent hike. Short but very steep to the top. Once at the top, highly recommend going an extra quarter mile to a point to see the view of Frisco and the lake. Bring a hiking pole or walking stick for the descent.

I planned this hike for my family so we could all get in some last minute hiking before our vacation ended. The night before I was looking up some easy hikes in the Frisco, CO area and Mount Royal was listed. I thought it would be a fun little hike we could all enjoy. I was misled. Its steep from the trailhead all the way to the summit. Coming down was almost as difficult as getting up. I would recommend trekking poles for this hike as most of us were losing our footing a lot on the way down. Just need to make sure you're prepared with some poles or a hiking stick. If youre from the flatlands like my family (Iowa) just plan enough time to take plenty of breathing breaks on the way up. Still a great hike and its a feel good accomplishment when you finally make it!

My husband and I are on a road trip across CO celebrating our one year anniversary and our first stop was in Frisco. We absolutely adored this little town! Yesterday we hiked Mount Royal and it took us about an hour and a half to get to the top... with a few stops along the way to "explore" aka... catch our breath! We're from PA so this hike was perfect for breaking in our CO lungs. The view from the top (and the view along the way) was gorgeous.

The hike down was a little tricky, so wear the right shoes. Grab one of the walking sticks at the trailhead before you start and you'll be golden!

Very happy our first hike in CO was Mt Royal!

Definitely a challenge , up the whole way , maybe two flat spots. Snow still exists from the recent snowfall . The final lookout point on the outlined path may require boots . Super fun and the views are wonderful at the top. Mount Victoria taunts you at the peak of Mount Royal

Moderately difficult trail in the snow. Recommend hiking poles and snowshoes if you've got them. Trail not packed down for us at the top and hard to find. Take your time, worth the view! Slow and steady wins the race.

I enjoyed this hike last week. Great weather. The climb is fairly steady, but it is quite short so very manageable. Nice views of lake Dillon and Frisco as you look behind you.