Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Royal Trail

Mount Royal Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Silverthorne: Take I-70 west to the second Frisco exit, Exit #201, turn east towards the town of Frisco. After crossing the I-70 interchange, take an immediate right into the public parking lot. Walk over the footbridge, turn left onto the paved bike path. Hike 0.5 miles on the bike path to the Mt. Royal trail sign which will be on the right.

Hiked on 5/26. Snowy near the top but packed down enough that micro spikes were enough. Pretty steep hike but great views at the top.

Alternating sections of mud and snow. Knee was bothering me.

Moderate hike, with some good views overlooking Frisco. Worth it to keep going up to Mount Victoria.

Just a correction to the previous review made by Charles George. The entire upper portion of Mt Royal was not wiped out. There is a small section (about the halfway point) that was slightly affected by an avalanche. Do not proceed up the avalanche strip, if you do you will be way off the trail. You can pick the trail back up about 20 to 25 yards up the avalanche strip. The trail is easy to find just to the right (you just have to know where to look). I have been up to the top of Royal several times this week - beautiful as ever.

Hiked this trail on 3/22, we did it with snow shoes but saw several others in just boots. Good trail, well marked, very steep in places. First 30 minutes were great, but the entire top half of the trail was washed out by an avalanche.

I saw so many different animal tracks. Very few people on the trail. Very tough incline. Towards the end of the trail, the trekking in the snow became difficult as I kept falling in the snow as each step wasn't solid flooding and I would be knee to hip deep in snow. I wore cleats for the hike and layered up. I would definitely recommend this hike!

Great winter trail. Gets a bit slippery at the top so cleats or snow shoes are useful.

Hiked it on thanksgiving day. Snow packed, a few icy patches. If you go to the top, trail is not packed with deep snow. Recommend poles and yak tracks unless you have great agility, which I don’t.

Nice little local trail. Packed snow, put on snowshoes about halfway up with the stepper inclines ... microspikes would have been good as well.

Great views!!

Loved it! Went around 6:30am to watch the sun rise. It was fantastic! Very little snow on the ground, just towards the top and I was fine in my sneakers and light layers. However, it is quite steep in areas, with lots of loose gravel that makes coming down a little challenging. (I only fell once! Haha!) Love the peak area, lots of places to sit and enjoy the view on all sides! I’ll definitely be doing this one again!

STEEP! But fun

my favorite workout trail

Difficult incline but doable with a good amount of breaks. Really beautiful view at the top (not much of a lake view, mostly able to see the lake on the ascend/descend parts).

Out of shape and from Iowa, this trail challenged me at times and overall a great hike. steady incline all the way up. Rain and snow the entire time but the cloudy view at the top was still amazing with the snow covered trees.

Awesome trail! It was hard but well worth the trip as the views are spectacular!

Nice hike. Easy access trailhead parking. A workout and an awesome view at the top and at places along the way. Older hikers should be sure they are acclimated to the altitude before ascent as workload, can be high, especially on the upper stretch.

Awesome hike! It's definitely steep the whole way, but the views are worth it! There weren't many people on the trail which was great!

It’s absolutely spectacular!!

Great hike. Steep ongoing upslope for the last half but well worth the amazing views from the top.

just an awesome hike for a short ascent. doesn't appear to be as popular as Mt Victoria or the nearby Peaks. but for a quick hike, and awesome views, it is hard to top.

Awesome... beautiful in the fall. Great hike n great workout!

Completely uphill! A very nice workout with some of the most amazing views I’ve ever seen in Colorado. Be prepared to work but it’s so worth it, and not too long either! Also extremely accessible if you don’t want to travel far from the Dillon/Frisco area.

Great hike! I got kinda lost the 1st time. I went past Rainbow Lake on Peak Trail & it was leading me 2 Breckenridge. Not a lot of signs 2 keep u on track. I ran into a runner & his dog & turned back. I found it the following week & hiked Mt. Victoria & then Royal. It took about 4 hours but I stopped 2 read so was a 5 hour trip..fun stuff!

Great hike with good views. A little confusing to find a trail, especially if going from the 2nd Ave. parking spot, which saves a half mile of bike path walking. Used it to acclimate myself for doing a 14er two days later. Since I’m from Wisconsin!

Great hike with dog. Once at top,slight downhill to peak overlooking Frisco, CO. Amazing people along the way

Love this trail! Steep, but so beautiful once you’re at the top!

Great short hike. My wife and I (both 62) and our trusty golden retriever made it up in a little less than an hour. Windy and chilly at the top. I agree with others that the view isn’t much, but it’s still worth the effort. There is only one steep section, but even that wasn’t too hard. I would highly recommend it for someone who wants a short, but challenging hike. We definitely plan to do it again in the fall after the aspens have turned.

Completed this trail 9/17/17