Royal Arch Trail

HARD 1,467 reviews

Royal Arch Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Start on Chautauqua trail by the ranger station. After crossing a grassy meadow you enter a pine forest. Start paying attention to signs for Royal Arch as a number of other trails branch off. You know you're going the right way when you get to the flagstone staircase.

hiked the day after a big snow in the early morning. loved everything about it. feel once because I didn't have spikes. I also made a video of the hike on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/NY_pbA2SJvM

Great trail, definitely felt the burn. Probably wear hiking shoes next time! Ice was pretty slippery

hiked yesterday, beautiful views, definitely worth it! only went up with hiking boots, no spikes and did just fine, but spikes would have helped on the icy parts.

Trail gets icy af past the shelter and across the creek. Really wish I wouldn’t have left my spikes at home...

Super awesome trail! Spikes would have helped a bit, but beautiful views!

Most people today, including my group, didn’t have spikes. Going up is fine, but VERY slick going down...lots of people slipping. Although it was a 60 and sunny day, spikes were definitely still needed.

Quite a bit of elevation with lot of ice/snow. Spikes are a must.

This trail was a lot of fun if you’re looking for a nice challenge. I would definitely advise wearing spikes because there are some pretty slippery spots. Very sore and very happy!

Great hike, beautiful views from the top, nice workout. Definitely recommend using micro spikes.

Great hike - beautiful arch. The trail was pretty quiet for a Sunday and I didn’t see many people which was a plus. Icy in some parts, but fit for adventurers and hikers with spikes.

Great workout! Great trail and views!!

I made the mistake of doing an isolated glute workout prior to hiking this trail. But when you made the 40 minute drive commitment to Boulder, you do the Royal Arch Trail. Period. Instagram butt here I come!

The people on the trail are very kind. Although people’s definitions of “almost there” vary. It was hard to tell if some people were just being motivating or if they had blacked out for the last 30 minutes and didn’t understand how far they hiked down from the top.

Not too icy, totally hikeable and great views!

We love this hike! Great workout and gorgeous views. We hiked it yesterday (1/7). It was icy in places, but there were enough rocks and dirts spots to make it up safely. We had on hiking boots.
Enjoy!

I liked the trail. I was pretty icy when I went.

This was one of the hardest trails I've done before. We lose few times before we found a way to the Royal Arch trail. The signs are not clear. Ended up hiking 4 hours but definitely not regret that we got lost. It will be too hard for little kids, maybe under 10 unless they are tough.

Awsome! Yet, did not complete because of the ice.

12/31/17 - 2.5 hours with micro spikes. Will make your life easier. My Berner was also able to to hike this with no problem at all. It was a white out at the top but very peaceful. Saw about 7-10 people on this trail. Very good workout on the way up, smooth sailing on the way down (if you have spikes).

One of my favorite short but sweet hikes. HIGHLY recommend traction now - many spots are very slick and I saw several people slip and fall on the way up and down.