Rough Canyon Trail

Rough Canyon Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glade Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Be ready for a rocky path

Myself, wife and golden doodle Ellie did the hike. The first part is a jeep trail. The hiking trail entrance to the rest of the loop is subtle and labeled rough canyon falls. Veers off to the right of jeep trail through fence.

The rest of the trail is essentially a creek bed and not well marked. I had my Garmin Fenix 5x watch to help guide our route with the downloaded gpx file from this site. That was very helpful for reassurance unless you are experienced. You will second guess yourself a lot.

Toward the end of the trail is an awesome short climb up with trail extending along a cliff face. Kind of scary but totally doable.

Be a bit wary with your dog, very rough and rocky trail, may be rough on their feet.

Waterfall was not flowing this time of year.

Also the hike is more like 5+ miles according to my watch.

This hike is almost 5 1/2 miles. Definitely not okay for mountain bikes. Didn't see any waterfalls though.

had no problem finding the trail head. there is a sign that points you in the right direction. we however didn't find the loop so we walked in and walked back out. we will try again next spring to see the waterfall. loved it!

No stars (had to click a star to post) because we never found the trail! You need to park in the Bangs Canyon Trailhead parking lot. We were looking for a sign that said "Rough Canyon Trailhead." Stopped at REI on the way home for a map! Oh well, we walked around a little on the Ribbon trail, a little farther south. BTW, if you click on "directions" above, and send them via text to a phone, the directions take you to Rough Canyon Road, which is a private, no-trespassing, residential road.

Canyon views were nice. Bring extra water, hike back is brutally hot and steep

Awesome trail with beautiful views! One of my favorites.

This was much harder then I thought. I should say I wouldn't take a baby on on ur back for this trail.

Great hike!! We love the scenery!

It was a enjoyable hike with many different types of terrain to hike over. Beautiful views as well. The only downside was it being a little difficult to navigate where the trail was at times.

More difficult than I expected but i thoroughly enjoyed this hike. Pretty wide range of terrain.

So-so hike not really a defined path and you will find yourself stumbling over rocks to find the best way through some areas. Will eventually open up and give you a nice view of the Grand Mesa a few miles in.