Rough Canyon Trail

Rough Canyon Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glade Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

We took the trail counterclockwise. Going down the rough canyon offers gorgeous views. You’ll have to climb over several boulders with quite some drops! Don’t expect your usual trail. We had our dogs, Border Terrier and Belgium Malinous. They did ok for the most part. It’s about a 3.5 mile hike down and quite enjoyable. Going up however not so great. You are completely unprotected from the sun. We needed up on the trail where they drive with the Jeeps. Not sure whether there is another way. At the end we just wanted to be done.

Hiked it Memorial Day Saturday which was a great time. Decent amount of bouldering on the north side of the loop so beware with dogs. Tough trail to follow during some stretches but hard to get far off path as you’re in the canyon most of the time.

Just went last weekend! I love this trail! Although it’s really long... It’s not hard at all mainly going up and down rocks for the most part. For the last half you share the trail with off roads and it’s just walking up. Tiring! The trail has beautiful views and the weather was perfect!...

Great hike! We hiked it clock wise so we did the long decent into the canyon first.

The trail is not for beginners and is 5 plus Miles. It is very enjoyable and fun finding ways off of the rocks in the creek bottom. I would have rated it a 5 but the loop out is a boring 2 mile uphill hike.

Beautiful trail! I saw where the waterfall was. It’s just been dry here with not a lot of rain. I need to go back with someone who knows the trail a little better. It’s hard to know if you’re on the trail at times or not. If you’re not a coordinated person, this trail is not for you. It’s very steep and there is a lot of rock scrambling hence the name “Rough”

Be ready for a rocky path

Myself, wife and golden doodle Ellie did the hike. The first part is a jeep trail. The hiking trail entrance to the rest of the loop is subtle and labeled rough canyon falls. Veers off to the right of jeep trail through fence.

The rest of the trail is essentially a creek bed and not well marked. I had my Garmin Fenix 5x watch to help guide our route with the downloaded gpx file from this site. That was very helpful for reassurance unless you are experienced. You will second guess yourself a lot.

Toward the end of the trail is an awesome short climb up with trail extending along a cliff face. Kind of scary but totally doable.

Be a bit wary with your dog, very rough and rocky trail, may be rough on their feet.

Waterfall was not flowing this time of year.

Also the hike is more like 5+ miles according to my watch.

This hike is almost 5 1/2 miles. Definitely not okay for mountain bikes. Didn't see any waterfalls though.

had no problem finding the trail head. there is a sign that points you in the right direction. we however didn't find the loop so we walked in and walked back out. we will try again next spring to see the waterfall. loved it!

No stars (had to click a star to post) because we never found the trail! You need to park in the Bangs Canyon Trailhead parking lot. We were looking for a sign that said "Rough Canyon Trailhead." Stopped at REI on the way home for a map! Oh well, we walked around a little on the Ribbon trail, a little farther south. BTW, if you click on "directions" above, and send them via text to a phone, the directions take you to Rough Canyon Road, which is a private, no-trespassing, residential road.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Canyon views were nice. Bring extra water, hike back is brutally hot and steep

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Awesome trail with beautiful views! One of my favorites.

Monday, May 01, 2017

This was much harder then I thought. I should say I wouldn't take a baby on on ur back for this trail.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great hike!! We love the scenery!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

It was a enjoyable hike with many different types of terrain to hike over. Beautiful views as well. The only downside was it being a little difficult to navigate where the trail was at times.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

More difficult than I expected but i thoroughly enjoyed this hike. Pretty wide range of terrain.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

So-so hike not really a defined path and you will find yourself stumbling over rocks to find the best way through some areas. Will eventually open up and give you a nice view of the Grand Mesa a few miles in.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Great time, just missed a wicked storm lol

Saturday, March 22, 2014

This trail is great - during spring runoff there is a waterfall at the end. When you get to the end, you can turn around and go back up the canyon or you can go up the jeep trail to the left. I don't recommend the jeep trail unless you want over two miles of continuous uphill walking. This trail is beautiful and one of my all time favorites.

recorded rough