Learn more

Rosalie Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.5 mi Elevation gain 3,756 ft Route type Point to Point

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

This trail is long, but it's one of the most secluded-feeling trails that one can find this close to Denver. Use is moderate to heavy for the first 5 miles. The Rosalie Trail follows Deer Creek up to the saddle between Rosalie and Logan and ends at Guanella Pass.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Directions from Bailey/Denver: Guanella Pass Trailhead: Drive west from Bailey on Highway 285 for 11 miles to Grant. Turn right (north) on to Park County Road 62. Drive 13.5 miles to Guanella Pass. Alternately, drive west from Denver on Interstate 70. Exit at Georgetown and follow the sign leading from Georgetown to Guanella Pass.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (68)
Photos (124)
Recordings (37)
Completed (101)
David Dedrickson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020

Great time. Beautiful.

View David's Recording
Erin Yourtz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Very few people. We got lost a few times but easily found our way back to the trail. We saw and moose about 100 yards away and had a close encounter with a bear. He/she was only about 20 yards from us on the trail. Took a good look at us and ran off. Yikes!

Julian Kates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

Hike with my girlfriend xoxo started recording 1/2 way so double.

View Julian's Recording
Kevin A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

The AllTrails map is different from CoTrex and the USFS description, and different from the trail signs. Starting at the Deer Creek Trailhead at the southeast end of the trail, Rosalie is coincident with Tanglewood for 1.1 miles, at which point Rosalie forks to the left. AllTrails map shows an old route, currently "blocked off" with a couple of logs and a post, about 150 yards from the TH. The old trail is a more direct route, rugged in spots, that saves 200 feet of downhill on the current Rosalie Trail. There is a very good campsite 0.5 miles below the intersection with the 3Mile Trail at 39.53914027, -105.6371478.

Susan Krafcheck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
Hiking

Great secluded trail. Warm day with nice cooling waters. Very little snow in spots. Amazed at the “homemade fire pits” made in middle of trails. More shocking is people that camp and litter. Especially human waste! Very few people on trail, but parking lot suggests otherwise. Bonus! Saw 4 Bighorn sheep.

Zach Stillman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 27, 2020
HikingIcySnow

Found micro spikes left on the trail on 1/26/20. Message me if you think they may be yours.

Clair Von Handorf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful aspens, lovely hike. We made a loop of it with the three-mile and the abyss trail. Couldn't have asked for more color on the leaves. And if anyone finds a simple handmade and cheap silver ring... I lost my wedding ring out there. Wah wah.

Larry Mac
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2019
Hiking

hiked 9/23/2019 trail goes back and forth along the creek. wonderful soft bubble water moving noise as you go not to steep once clear of trees you have a wonderful view off trail west to go up Rosalie was grass and some rocks. some cool rocks farther if you go to Epaulie

Jeff Van Benschoten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 2, 2019
HikingRocky
Suzy Barr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2019
BackpackingBugs

Hiked to the Three Mile trail intersection on 7/22. Lots of bugs at the beginning of the trail but lots of wildflowers too. Not many people on this trail at all. We could not find the trailhead of Rosalie so did the Tanglewood Trail to Rosalie. At about 5 mils in we setup camp and then hiked further up to the saddle. WOW! Amazing and expansive view. You can even see the Mt. Evans parking lot. A hiker on the way down said he had seen a moose up there not an hour before. The trail is gorgeous and winds through Aspen trees for about a mile. Plenty of water right now along the trail. First mile or two is pretty steep but it becomse much more gradual as you continue.

Ryan Sallans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2019
Backpacking

My wife and I just completed a 5 day/4 night backpacking trip in Mount Evans Wilderness. We started out late-morning on Rosalie Trail on 6/29. Over three miles in we saw a campsite we just couldn’t pass up. The next day (6/30) we took off again and turned onto Three-Mile Creek Trail. Every step above tree line was absolutely stunning. Snow was not an issue and the wildflowers were starting to bloom. When we hit the creek crossings on three-mile (coming from Rosalie and heading down the trail) there were two crossings that provided a couple challenges, one of them would get boots soaked (we wore water shoes to cross) the other had swift and high flowing water that went above my knees (I am 5’10”). It was challenging to cross even for an experienced outdoorsman. The rest of the trail was easy to navigate and the creek crossings were easy log crossings. We camped near three-mile trailhead in another nice spot above the trail and creek. On 7/1 we hiked the road up to Abyss Lake trail. This is a beautiful trail, the only challenge was the third creek crossing as the creek was running very high and fast and the two logs set up to cross it were wet, slightly tilted and a little rocky. Our heart beats went up quite a bit crossing that little foot bridge, but went down when we settled into a beautiful campsite by the Abyss Lake/Rosalie trail intersection. 7/2 we first hiked up to Helm Lake then packed up our gear and headed back down Rosalie. We went back to our campsite from 6/29 and then hiked out on 7/3. This trip gets five stars for solitude (one day we ran into one other backpacker). It also gets five stars for some of the best camping sites we have ever set up camp at. We loved every minute of this trip. Snow was not an issue.

Justin Coburn
HikingOff trailRocky
Owen Holder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2019
HikingRockyWashed out

It was a steady incline and definitely had some beautiful views at the top, but I was unhappy with the trail structure. It was rocky the whole way such that we ended staring down at the ground avoiding rolling an ankle the entire hike.

Emerson Mallery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2019
BackpackingMuddySnow

Definitely the most secluded trail I have ever encountered. I saw only one other camper during the second day there. It's not very muddy, but many areas along the trail are overflowed somewhat, there were 'bridges' on a few creeks, and others had none. So bring extra socks and even extra shoes. There were wild flowers and dense spruce forest, incredibly beautiful. It's steep at the begining at the trail and mid way through, it eventually goes onto treeline. Amazing views of bierstadt and Evans. I loved this trail, helped clear my mind. There were a few snow drifts that were manageable or able to go around. The trail is clear and easy to follow.

David L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2019
HikingMuddySnow

Starting at Deer Creek Trail head, made it up to Three Mile Trail before lightning and sleet chased us back to cover lower down. Trail has lots of flowing water (creeks are over capacity) and snow drifts starting around 11,000'. Easily bypassed but you will get muddy and wet. This is a great hike starting at the Deer Creek side and everything is incredibly vibrant due to the moisture we received this winter. The grade at the start is pretty steep. Passed 2 groups totaling 3 people on the entirety of the hike. Secluded indeed.

Mike Killion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2019
BackpackingMuddySnow

I started around 10am and while there was a decent amount of snow it cold enough/packed enough that could relatively easily walk on/through it. But about three miles in I completely lost the trail due to so much snow, took a break and tried again still no luck. By the time I turned around the snow was so much softer that my shoes were completely water logged by the end and the actual trail portions were quite muddy. With all of that said, it's clearly a good trail and I suspect that this time next week it will be much, much better.

Leah Rich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2018
Backpacking

The trail is not accessible, as far as we could see, from the trailhead parking lot. You have to hike on tanglewood trail for a mile, then take a right and head over to Rosalie to get on it. It is beautiful, a little challenging, and the terrain is varied. we backpacked in and stayed just a couple miles in. There weren't too many people and the stream is wonderful.

Audrey Chance
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2018

Not the to the peak trail we thought, but it was beautiful and the views are amazing! glad my hiking partner stuck with me, we were not expecting a 23 mi round trip, but it was amazing none the less.

Delia W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 30, 2018
Hiking

Oof, this trail was a slog in the spring! Very beautiful, steady up and down for the first few miles (starting from the Bailey end), then was almost impossible to follow--big patches of snow and mud, wound up sinking up to my thighs in snow with my shoes filled with muddy water underneath the snow. It's gorgeous, but I'm going to wait until later in the season before attempting again! Made it up to the junction with Threemile trail (about 6 miles up at a beautiful ridge/plateau), soaked in some views, and camped a little ways below in the tree line. Want to try this one again when the weather is better and tack on Abyss Lake too!

Denise Lefort
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2017
Hiking

Beautiful trail and views! Nice steady climb and then beautiful views after 3 or 4 miles

sally brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2017

I hike this trail every year! Another hidden gem here in Colorado ! Outrageous fall colors! Rated as hard but once you get up the steep hill it's smooth sailing!!

alan singer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2017
Backpacking

Matched this trail with the Abyss trail for a wonderful loop. Spectacular views and scenery starting a top of Guanella Pass and hiking down to junction with Abyss trail. Camped at trail junction and exited next day. This would make a great day hike as well. Leave a car at each trail head.

Jason Surratt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2017
Backpacking

I backpacked the first mile of this with my 7 & 9 year old boys. We found a great campsite about a mile into the trail and spent one night there before going home. The first mile had a few spots to cross the water. Two spots had simple wooden bridges. The third crossing had a make-shift log bridge that took a little balancing, or you could just walk through the shallow water. Overall my boys had a great time and were talking about going back as we left. From the looks of the pictures on the trail we missed out on some nice vistas by turning around after a mile. The dirt road approaching the trail head has a number of large potholes to avoid, but I had no trouble driving there in my small sedan. The trail head has a bunch of parking and we saw a number of people that were car camping right off the road. The National Forest website says you need a free permit at the trail head for backpacking, but we couldn't find any permits.

maggie legrand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2017

really nice hike, beautiful wild flowers everywhere!