Rosalie and Tanglewood Trail Loop

Rosalie and Tanglewood Trail Loop is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is not a loop! Great trails, but they don't connect.

While the scenery was great and both rivers are a blast for the dogs, unless you really enjoy partially obscure/rocky/boulder filled hiking, I would recommend NOT doing the Rosalie side. It was just too difficult to keep a good footing. The Tanglewood trail was great though. I would suggest and out-and-back on just Tanglewood.

Remote hike, amazing scenery, many creek crossings. It was 6.2 miles for us though, not 5.4. We did Counter clockwise - the easier option.

Don’t follow the map! I recommend downloading someone else’s track if you want to find the route. The first time I did this one, I tried to follow the map and did a lot of aimless wandering. If you want a challenge, go up Rosalie and down Tanglewood. The other way around is pretty easy. I also highly recommend hiking straight up Tanglewood for a beautiful out and back hike if you don’t want to do the loop. Note that I tried to hike up to the Roosevelt and Bear Lakes last week on the Tanglewood trail, but there was fresh snow and I continually lost the trail at the first set of switchbacks and had to turn around. Aside from the snow cover, the trail is very visible and easy to navigate.

It will be to your benefit not to rely on the map for this hike. It did not match the actual trail. We cut off trail a bit to find the trail on the map and ran straight into a mountain lion. My advice, stay on the trail, don’t try to do the loop just make it an out and back, travel in groups and know the protocols for a mountain lion encounter. It was a fun hike up until that point and mountain lion sightings are rare. Be safe, be smart, and just follow your instinct.

9/15/17 Hiked the Tanglewood / Rosalie loop, great weather, good views up on top. Following the creek for a while was very pleasant. Only cross the first footbridge and not the second to stay on Tanglewood towards beginning of trail. As we got close to intersecting the Rosalie trail we had a hard time finding it, we crossed the creek then backtracked and just headed down hill, crossed creek and then intercepted Rosalie. Passed through a variety of landscape. Rosalie Trail was rocky lower half. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Good enough; however, note that we could not find the trail that connected Tanglewood to Rosalie and had to just head in that general direction down the mountain until we found it. Just head down towards the creek at which there is a fallen log you can use to cross and find Rosalie trail.

Saturday, June 17, 2017