Rolling Creek Trail via Colorado Trail

Rolling Creek Trail via Colorado Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,969 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very nice trail. First 3.5 miles is fairly easy, but then the difficult part afterwards. Not easy whatsoever. Some great views throughout, stream crossings weren’t hard for myself or pup. Saw some good foliage!

We encountered very few other groups. Carrying extra water up the incline to camp made this trail particularly more difficult, but totally worth it.

Went in about 4 miles. Great scenery. After 3 miles it gets really spectacular as the trail goes up steeply next to a rushing creek. Highly recommended.

Difficult trail that had breathtaking views. There are nice camping spots along the way save for the steep hills. It is an easy trail the first 3 miles and extremely difficult with last 3.

6/15/19- The trail mileage is wrong! We logged it at about 7 miles one way. Looks like someone reported it to AllTrails but it’s still inaccurate. Hiked from the end at Wigwam Trail north to the junction of the CT segment 4. (Wigwam to the south end point of Rolling Creek is 4 miles). It’s beautiful scenery but the climb up and down is a doozy, not many switchbacks! Recommend trekking poles for the downhill especially if you’re backpacking this trail. Several creek crossings - one is a stretch to not get your feet wet but the rest had easier crossings. Some campsites along the way and a great couple of sites can be found at the junction of Rolling Creek & Wigwam.

blue butterflies

I had planned on going the full length over three days, unfortunately the forecasted rain turned into snow and I had to cut my trip short. I hiked about 6 miles in and set up camp for the first night. Gorgeous scenery and a challenging trail with a pack. I’d definitely like to try again later in the summer!

Lost the trail in the snow about 3.5 miles in (as mentioned in other reviews). But I'll be back to do more of this trail in the future.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Beautiful trail. We went about 8 miles in and back. It said it would be a difficult trail but for someone with my hiking experience and stamina it was perfect. Nothing too daunting or difficult.

Monday, September 03, 2018

I requested an edit to the trail description. From the trail head (adjacent to the trail head for segment 4 of the Colorado trail) to Wigwam trail, a hike travels about 6.4 miles. That was the information from the forest service and that was my experience on the hike (12.8 miles round trip). The first three miles are rolling and pretty. Most of the creeks were dry. I saw some camping spots at Rolling Creek, which had plenty of water. From there, the trail begins a steep ascent over 2.5 miles to a nice saddle with camping, but no water that I found. The descent tow Wigwam trail was a touch washed out in places, but you're in the amazing Lost Creek Wilderness. There's some additional camping and water around the intersection of Rolling Creek Trail and Wigwam trail. I only encountered two groups on the trail after the first three miles (once it starts climbing). I saw more along the first three miles, which looked like a great little hike with nice views of the Castle. If you take Wigwam Trail up to Brookside-McCurdy and connect with CO Trail segment 4, you can hike back out for a nice 25 mile loop.

Friday, July 06, 2018

Amazing trail, only went in 2 miles, to a sweet campsite then scrambled down to the river. Perfect quick afternoon hike

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Very beautiful, but we only went one mile in and back

Sunday, June 03, 2018

easy hike until 3.5 miles in, which is where this trail technically ends but the trail continues after that. Can’t wait to go back and see after I turned around and make the hike longer. Very pretty and shaded.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

This trail mingles with the Colorado Trail for about 0.2 miles then breaks off. Easy hike for most of the trail until you hit 3 miles then it is a mild to moderate scramble along the river. Ending was great and a good place to sit enjoy a snack and rest before heading back. Good for trail running too.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Irrrshffrx

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The trail continues another 2-3 miles past the red highlighted route on All Trails but it doesn’t really lead to a peak with a view or anything unless we completely missed it. This trail is a great backpacker’s warm up for a longer, higher more strenuous trek if planning one. Rated 3 stars for lack of open views.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

This by far has to be one of my favorite trails lots of great views and the further you go the better. It gets really rough which is what I like I actually fell on my face lol. Great water crossings and even a small waterfall about 5 miles in. We got a late start so we didn’t get as far as we wanted to but we’re definitely going back.

scenic driving
Monday, May 14, 2018

Nice drive-in to this hike - managed the drive fairly easily without 4-wheel drive, though I imagine it would be necessary in the colder months when the road is in worse shape. The hike itself was beautiful with multiple river crossings. The All-trails rating is “hard” but this was an easy-to-moderate hike for most experienced hikers. The trail continues past the all trails map for at least another 2-3 miles where it gets quite a bit steeper and may cross into the moderate/hard range. Could not follow the trail to the end because it started to get fairly icy with packed down snow near the top. Follow the all trails route for an easier, albeit slightly lengthy, and picturesque hike. Continue on for a more challenging and steeper grade and some more nice views.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Fantastic, easy trail! We only passed a few water trails but the viewpoint a few miles in is beautiful.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

This place is beautiful! Ideal forest hike w/several small streams to cross. we went well further than we were to, and things only get more beautiful the farther you go. Trail is in really great shape. Some snowy patches up high, but again - we figured out we'd gone too far. About 10mi - this place just got away from us.

Thursday, February 08, 2018

bit cold this morning. here to video sunrise. awesome!

Saturday, December 09, 2017

Just a forest walk. The trail just keeps going up. No variety and easy to get lost at switchbacks as the trail is not well marked at all.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Such a beautiful hike!!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Started at noon on Friday. Sunny and warm. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and hummingbirds zipping around. Easy hiking, wide trail. There were a couple of great spots to take in the views and take pictures. We stopped at 2 to wait out some rain and eat lunch. After an hour, the rain wasn't stopping so we resumed our hike. At about mile 3 - 3.5 (which we figured out later was the end of the rolling creek trail according to the map) hiking became more difficult. The grade increased drastically, lots of rock steps and stream crossings (we counted 7-8 total). Some of the crossings were logs and some were rock hopping. The rain made everything pretty slick, our progress slowed significantly. The rain and mist gave everything a primordial feel. Lots of moss, lichens, ferns, mushrooms, flowers, and a couple underground streams. We made camp at 10,300' right before 6pm. Found a great spot near the top of the ridge. With lots of moss covered boulders and trees. The rain continued on and off during the night. Our hike out took about 1/2 the time (approx 3+ hours) in the rain. Definitely an awesome overnight backpacking trip. Ours was 10 miles round trip. Rain gear is a must and hiking poles would have been a good idea.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

beautiful, magestic hike. starts off fairly easy and the higher you go, the more difficult the climb. Lots of large beautiful boulders and stones near the river. trail follows closely to river and is well marked and maintained. definitely recommend it!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

We'll probably hike this trail again. I interviewed the family and the consensus was a "4" rating because the kids didn't 'want' to hike and my husband requested facilities at/near the trailhead. It was beautiful and serene, mostly rolling hills until we reached the boulders. Not trusting my dog to stay with us (terriers!) he was pulling us up and we slowed him down. Very nice to have a lightly trafficked trail. Quiet except for the echo of gunshots from the nearby shooting range for the first mile or so.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Rolling Creek Trail is a forest hike. Not very crowded on a Sunday (good thing). Close to Denver. Turn left off of Highway 285 (Hampden) when you see the Rustic Tavern Restaurant. Then go about 7.8 miles to trailhead. NO RESTROOMS AT TRAILHEAD. SUMMARY: Two stream crossings and great mountain vistas after about one mile.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

First 2 miles are nice then it is a all uphill grind. Saw a big bear 200 lb+ bear at the very top. No views, just a great stairclimber got 2995' vertical on this one.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Great trail and scenery through out. There was a decent number of people, but never in the same spot to feel congested. Do not let the 7.1 round trip fool you. From the trailhead to WigWam trail intersect is 6.4 miles. The first part of Rolling creek is easy to moderate, with a majority of it going down into the drainage. Once you start going up the other side of the drainage be prepared for a long hard push. There are no solid campsites until you get to the saddle. I would estimate from the trailhead to the saddle is 5miles. Great hike the 7.1 miles total rip is misleading. Enjoy!

Monday, June 12, 2017

First backpacking overnight trip with my daughter. Camped south of rolling creek after the crossing. Was a great hike. Plenty of water to refill with, so would carry a little less from the start next time. Would like to make it up to the meadows next time.