Rolling Creek Trail Via Colorado Trail

Rolling Creek Trail Via Colorado Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pine, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bit cold this morning. here to video sunrise. awesome!

Just a forest walk. The trail just keeps going up. No variety and easy to get lost at switchbacks as the trail is not well marked at all.

Started at noon on Friday. Sunny and warm. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and hummingbirds zipping around. Easy hiking, wide trail. There were a couple of great spots to take in the views and take pictures. We stopped at 2 to wait out some rain and eat lunch. After an hour, the rain wasn't stopping so we resumed our hike. At about mile 3 - 3.5 (which we figured out later was the end of the rolling creek trail according to the map) hiking became more difficult. The grade increased drastically, lots of rock steps and stream crossings (we counted 7-8 total). Some of the crossings were logs and some were rock hopping. The rain made everything pretty slick, our progress slowed significantly. The rain and mist gave everything a primordial feel. Lots of moss, lichens, ferns, mushrooms, flowers, and a couple underground streams. We made camp at 10,300' right before 6pm. Found a great spot near the top of the ridge. With lots of moss covered boulders and trees. The rain continued on and off during the night. Our hike out took about 1/2 the time (approx 3+ hours) in the rain. Definitely an awesome overnight backpacking trip. Ours was 10 miles round trip. Rain gear is a must and hiking poles would have been a good idea.

beautiful, magestic hike. starts off fairly easy and the higher you go, the more difficult the climb. Lots of large beautiful boulders and stones near the river.

trail follows closely to river and is well marked and maintained.

definitely recommend it!

We'll probably hike this trail again. I interviewed the family and the consensus was a "4" rating because the kids didn't 'want' to hike and my husband requested facilities at/near the trailhead.
It was beautiful and serene, mostly rolling hills until we reached the boulders. Not trusting my dog to stay with us (terriers!) he was pulling us up and we slowed him down.
Very nice to have a lightly trafficked trail. Quiet except for the echo of gunshots from the nearby shooting range for the first mile or so.

Rolling Creek Trail is a forest hike. Not very crowded on a Sunday (good thing). Close to Denver. Turn left off of Highway 285 (Hampden) when you see the Rustic Tavern Restaurant. Then go about 7.8 miles to trailhead. NO RESTROOMS AT TRAILHEAD. SUMMARY: Two stream crossings and great mountain vistas after about one mile.

First 2 miles are nice then it is a all uphill grind. Saw a big bear 200 lb+ bear at the very top. No views, just a great stairclimber got 2995' vertical on this one.

Great trail and scenery through out. There was a decent number of people, but never in the same spot to feel congested. Do not let the 7.1 round trip fool you. From the trailhead to WigWam trail intersect is 6.4 miles. The first part of Rolling creek is easy to moderate, with a majority of it going down into the drainage. Once you start going up the other side of the drainage be prepared for a long hard push. There are no solid campsites until you get to the saddle. I would estimate from the trailhead to the saddle is 5miles. Great hike the 7.1 miles total rip is misleading. Enjoy!

First backpacking overnight trip with my daughter. Camped south of rolling creek after the crossing. Was a great hike. Plenty of water to refill with, so would carry a little less from the start next time. Would like to make it up to the meadows next time.

This hike rocked! Such a cool landscape with lots of pine stands to walk through. Thick and thin pine and spruce stands, a decent off the trail scramble, and a soft ascent over a hill at the end. Is a decently leisurely hike that doesn't involve a whole lot of fitness. Was rather snowy at the top but didn't let that stop me!

Fun hike. Dog friendly.

Hiked this trail this past Saturday/Sunday, had the intentions of making it up to trail junction with wigwam. There were no footprints in the snow after the last creek crossing. Some of the lower parts of the the last hill was not bad for snow cover but the higher you go the deeper it seemed to get. Ranged from knee to waist deep snow up this section of trail still. Made 3/4 of the way up the hill before we could no longer spot any more oblivious signs of a trail. Fun hike, exposed trail was pretty well maintained. Will be great to do the whole thing once it thaws out. As others have said the up hill past the last creek crossings is much harder hiking.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Moderate to easy trail for the first 3 miles. After that it gets pretty dicey climbing over a good size hill. Suggest you take the first half and return unless you like climbing on your hands & knees.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Fair amount of snow near the end of the trail. Recommend AWD to get to the trailhead and possibly snowshoes while hiking, but at least yak trax XTR or equivalent trail spikes for maximum traction, especially on the bridges

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This was a nice incline for trail running, just enough of a challenge and like others said, you pass over several steams which are pretty. Pretty well maintained trail, but then again I'm not too picky, I hopped over one tree that has fallen but that's kind of part of the experience if you ask me haha. Anyway, I ran 3 miles in and ran into one couple who said it goes on for many miles further past that. I decided to stop 3 miles in as I was short on time to keep exploring. Great day hike! Be careful on the road in. Pike national forests roads are badly washed so my Subaru made it but it was slow going; 4WD vehicles went much faster.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I completed this trail for a quick overnight backpacking trip. It was deceptively easy for the first couple miles...then quickly gets steep. Worth it, as it was a beautiful hike. Great campsite and open meadow (small but really pretty) at the top, about 1.5 miles from the Wigwam trail intersection. Lots of downed trees and someone fell through one of the foot bridges (she was ok) and made crossing the largest part of the creek pretty tricky. I'm not sure if it was maintainers or a courteous hiker, but someone marked the trail with three rocks...perfect little cairns just when I needed them! There was several times I wouldn't have known where the trail was without that...so, thank you to whomever did that!!

Monday, May 18, 2015

Great trail for a day hike or backpacking. After the first few miles it gets pretty steep. The trail could use some maintenance as there were a lot of large trees that had fallen over the path and several of the water crossings had rotted out. There are some great spots to camp in the back country and the views down into the valley are beautiful.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The first two and half miles are fairly moderate but the rest is all uphill. One of the most unique trails I've ever hiked. Well worth the work. Great campsite at the top.