EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Rio Grande Trail

Rio Grande Trail is a 42.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Glenwood Springs, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

You have (at least) three trail options. You can start in Glenwood Springs and journey uphill to Aspen, then take the RFTA (Roaring Fork Transit Authority) bus back; you can bus to Aspen and ride downhill (net) back. Or you can ride out and back. Of course there are also options to just ride a portion of the trail with various RFTA bus stops along the way in towns such as El Jebel and Carbondale. If you choose to take one of the RFTA bus, not only will that save your weary legs, but it will give you a chance to mingle with some of the locals. No matter which way you choose to go, you will enjoy this world-class, high altitude trail. This trail, is great for family bonding trips by foot, horseback, bike, inline skate, Trikke, recumbent, tandem, or nordic skis. The trail is also wheelchair accessible and great for walking with your best friend, whether that friend is the two-legged or four-legged variety.

rails trails

very well marked and maintained. great views.

Simply beautiful!!!

Amazing bike ride out and back!

I have a terra trike, It is equipped with an electric motor, level 2. I have MS and walking and riding has become very difficult for me. My power assist trike has become a major God send for me as I now am able to do things that otherwise were impossible to me. I am looking forward to riding my terra trike from Carbondale to Aspen one day. However I was informed that E Bikes were not allowed on the Rio Grand trail up to Aspen. Is this true? I need to know. artheart1978@gmail.com

For a lazy stroll on Day 1 of vacation - 5 stars. In general, 3 (especially if you you are in the afternoon sun)

Monday, September 05, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Rode the trail from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and back. Right now there is a detour due to mountain lion activity that starts past Carbondale and puts you back on the trail in Basalt. Detour takes you out on the roads, but is well marked. When you come into Aspen the last few miles are gravel. There is always a strong headwind when coming back from Aspen to Glenwood.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Lovely trail, and really not too much traffic on a Fri mid day. Very mild grades. Everyone from my 4 year old on his little one speed to my wife on her racing bike enjoyed it. Some shade, but not a lot. We went from Glenwood springs to Carbondale.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

We did 22mi of Rio Grande Trail. The day was beautiful. It rained on us towards the end of our ride but it was good as wee needed the cool-down.

Monday, May 30, 2016

This trail is great for running and biking! Train on this trail during the week. It's long and well maintained.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Saturday, August 08, 2015

We live to ride our bikes on this trail. In Aspen it follows a river and there are many pretty places to sit and lunch. Riding all the way to Woody Creek Tavern, Basalt, Carbondale or Glenwood is really, really fun for the whole family. Not much elevation gain or loss, so biking is relatively easy, save for the distance you choose. Younger children will get tired. You can catch the RFTA buses back to Aspen and each bus holds 4 bikes (first come first serve). Make sure you have money for the bus, it isn't free outside of Aspen. About $6 per person.