Learn more

Rim Rock Trail to Creek Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Franktown, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 600 ft Route type Loop

Photos (1325)
Recordings (409)
Completed (1794)
Steve C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

I was surprised. Very enjoyable and beautiful hike. Lots of views! Creek. Waterfall. Historic.

Rachelle Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Love the Rim trail. Beautiful views. Not marked well. Not much shade. Fairly rock steep portion. Creek trail is a little bored but the creek is nice.

Ariel Mcgee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

It was nice, we ventured off into another trail . It was rim rock I believe and that was a bit of a rocky climb to the top, but the peak view was beautiful. Give it a try!

View Ariel's Recording
Mariah Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Note that there is a $9 park fee. Bring cash because the kiosk to buy the pass is broken. This is a nicely moderate trail, flat and gradual until the .5 mile mark then a steady and rocky incline to the top of the rim rocks. From there, it’s a flat hike until heading down to the creek trail. There’s a bit of an incline back up from the trail back towards the parking but nothing more than moderate. If you want to stop and take in the views, be sure to bring bug spray. Unfortunately my bug spray did not repel the deer flies that swarmed around me. The trail by the creek is overgrown for about a half mile so I was grateful I wore long pants. Not the type of hike I was expecting with Mountain views but the view of the canyon and creek were just as beautiful!

View Mariah's Recording
Sherryl Klosterman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

Fun day hike! Great views up on top.

Dean & Susan Shults
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingFeeOff trailRockyScramble

Great Trail with beautiful views, lots of boulders, pines. Easy to get off trail up on the rim, lots of history, some over growth on creek trail . All I all well worth experiencing!! Highly recommend... 5.3 mile

Alejandra Aguirre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

It was really hot it’s a good hike for dogs but honestly it was just to hot and you couldn’t really find the trail

Zach Goodman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Great view at the top, not a lot of people when I went at 9:30 AM on a Friday morning. Wish there was a little more wild life to admire but nothing can be done about that!

Evan R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Pretty easy trail other than the hikes up either side. The plants make the trail pretty narrow in spots but not terrible.

Ryan Dinaro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020

very crowded very beautiful

Tamara Bilewski
HikingFee

I didn't arrive until 8:30 am and it was already HOT and by the time I came out, it was a sizzling. The trail was difficult to follow on the top side (the app alerted me that I was off trail; glad I had it). I didn't see a whole lot of people especially on the top; a few more down by the river. At the trailhead, there isn't a bathroom so you have to get a bit into the hike before there's an opportunity - just FYI in case you drove a bit to get there. I drove down the road after the hike and there was one. It was beautiful! I clocked 5.5. The old homestead is interesting. I would say <50% shade. The turkey vultures were pretty cool. I'd do this hike again but probably in the fall.

Kiersten Ridgel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful. Cool in the canyon and great views from the rimrock side. The climb up the hill on either side of the rimrock trail is pretty steep and gets you huffing, but the rest is easy.

Stephanie Catmull
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
HikingFee

I absolutely love this trail, with canyons, rivers, cliffs, dams, and mountains. We actually heard pine cones popping - just amazing! Definitely bring a map as the trail is well-defined but not marked, so there are times where we weren't sure which direction to take. We went early to beat the heat, seeing deer in the a.m. This is a veritable hidden treasure. We saw many blooming cactuses and turkey vultures flying overhead. Part-sun, part-shade, and the incline was enough to get your heart pumping but still manageable. Keep in mind it costs $9/car to enter the park (which is cheap compared to the hours of beauty waiting for you). Enjoy!

Michelle Lox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Pretty hike! Semi shaded. I recommend using the map if you’re doing the full circle..there are several parts of the trail that I got a little confused on. 6/12/20

Danielle Soriano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. My watch counted 5.3 miles starting from the trailhead of the rim rock trail. I walked up the dam and through the bottom creek trail. It was nice, got there around 730 and there were a lot of parking spots still open. I had my 8.5 month old puppy.

Lynn Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2020
HikingFeeRocky

6/8/20 – Nice well-shaded trail. I hiked counterclockwise and the incline was fairly easy. I did have to reference my AllTrails map a few times as the trail got a little confusing at times. Entrance fee is $9/vehicle if you don’t have an annual State Park pass. Parking is limited, but I didn’t have a problem on a Monday morning.

View Lynn's Recording
Colorado Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

I completed the loop counter-clockwise between 10:30am and 1:45pm on a Monday. Unlike the route documented here, I went OVER the west side of the dam rather than below, thus bringing my total trip to 5 miles, 663' elevation gain. While the Homestead Trailhead parking lot was mostly full when I arrived and when I left, I only passed (or was passed by) other hikers every 15 minutes or so on average, which was nice. It was 64 degrees when I started hiking and around 80 degrees when I finished. The west side of the loop was mostly at the bottom of the canyon and fairly shaded, so the temperature wasn't a big deal. Any warmer than today, however, and I'd either start the hike much earlier or avoid the area altogether. But for cooler temperatures, this is a great hike close to town, and view from the top of Rim Rock Trail are well worth the climb to get there.

Claire Podgorski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020

lovely trail and easily accessible from the west entrance/gate. easy to follow signage and beautiful views of the west/front range from the Rim Rock side!

Regan Bullister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

Amazing trail! I thought it was pretty easy at first but it got a bit steep later on. I'd recommend going off the trail a bit and exploring the rock formations, you get some amazing views that way. There is pretty limited parking, so get there early. Also very little shade, so bring sunscreen.

Jesper B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

Easy trail to hike. Beautiful nature

Allison Pope
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2020
Hiking

Great for kids. Beautiful!

Coco Ho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
Hiking

Not a lot of shade (which is unfortunate for my husky), but there was a small Creek we stopped at for him to soak in for a bit. Overall, a beautiful hike! Make sure to show up early for parking- it’s $9!

Brian Whitten
HikingFeeRocky

Went on Sunday. We went in the morning started at 8. Barely anyone was there. It was a great trail to open up the hiking season to. Had 2 kids who also loved it. Gets VERY busy in the afternoon. Upon leaving at 1230 pm, the cars were lined up almost to the main entrance off of Parker Rd. Somewhat rocky but very manageable.

Joshua Vidal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Super easy overall. Not a bad hike with some killer views up top. Sometimes the trail gets lost so be prepared to back track a little. But really not a bad hike at all. Kid friendly, relatively short, and a cool little bit of water.