Rim Rock Trail

Rim Rock Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Franktown, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 583 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful views of a waterfall and some scenery but I met one rattlesnake and was warned about two others. Creek trail is narrow, overgrown so it doesn’t help with the snakes. Scenery is decent but not worth the mud and snakes and overgrowth. Might be better at a different time of day or year re: snakes and trail conditions.

Did this today 7/20. Started early (0730) bc it was hot this week. The trail was not difficult and we stopped along the ridge to sit and enjoy the beauty of the area. A great hike with some others surrounding it.

Hiked this on June 26th saw a rattle snake. It was on its way into the bush just beyond the bridge going back to the car, definitely leash your dogs. My dog was on his leash and it saved him from getting bit, other than that one spectacular hike.

Hiked this trail June 19 - and it did not disappoint! My group started at the Homestead Trail. The diversity of the trail is amazing. Cliffs, forest, waterfall - it had it all. Others have mentioned that rattlesnakes might be a problem - so be cautious if taking dogs and letting them off leash.

Great hike. Better to do the whole round starting with the Creek Bottom Trail and ending with Rim Rock Trail. Almost same distance as out and back on Rim Rock but lots more scenery.

Good mid-day hike that gets your heart pumping in spots but levels off for most of the other parts. Nice vegetation and tree cover on the Creek Bottom Trail. Nice rock formations and views along the ridge. The only bathroom is by the Westside Trailhead. That also is a larger parking lot than the Homestead Trail Site Lot. We went on a Saturday summer afternoon and the trail was busy but not overpopulated. We only had one spot where we lost the trail for a bit - at the end of the ridge, heading down toward the dam. Once we found it there is a sign indicating where the stairs are to head down.

We did this trail on 4/20/19 and started about 1130a. We parked in the west side trailhead as parking was limited at the first homestead trail where you can start Rim trail. Off of westside trail we started to the right of the bathrooms. Jut a few yards down there is a fork , stay to the left to hook to Rim, the other way continues Creek Bottom which if you do the whole loop you will end up at same place. You start a slow walk down the canyon and then up more steep trail with some steps and maybe rocks. I would say this is the hardest of the trail to get up to the rim of the canyon. We had to stop a few times to catch our breaths but it isn’t very long. On top of the rim is all sun and about 1/2 mile but best view. As you get off the rim you meet up with Dam trial which is short and hooks you back into Creek Bottom. The trail was a dry but rough from the snow/mud drying up. Was very busy and I know in summer it is even busier. Took us about 2 hours to do this hike

Great loop, a bit busy but it was the weekend so to be expected for a cool hike with great views.

not that difficult with the exception of a bit of uphill to the cliffs. weather was beautiful and sunny 65. barely any mud. pretty busy with kids and dogs.

Solid little loop close to town and a great place to get out if your time is limited. Spikes are highly recommended for the climb and descent, the rest of the trial is either hard packed snow or VERY slippery black mud. If you don't have spikes, wait a couple weeks and come back

This is a great trail with cool views! I had hiked part of trail previously, but parked at the North entrance of park this time and hiked from the Homestead. Sections of the trail up to the rim were still quite icy (I felt more comfortable in Yaktraks, but my hiking partners didn't have additional traction and only had one fall). The views from the rim were really beautiful. We enjoyed the sunshine yesterday, but had to contend with wind as well.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Pretty hike, slightly challenging

Friday, June 29, 2018

My favorite in Castlewood Canyon for the views. I usually do the inner Canyon connected with this one for a nice balance in scenery. Usually pretty empty on the weekdays.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Fun hike. The full loop looks better though. Will try that next time.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Not a hard trail but be warned. It’s getting hotter, so beware of the rattle snacks. We saw two within 30 mins. The first one was a complete surprise as I walked right by it and heard it rattling his tail. Definitely caught me off guard. But other than that, it was a nice time. Views of Pikes Peak was awesome too!

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Challenging to find the trailhead (it goes behind the old broken building) but once we found it, it was great. Brought a dog, the climb to the ridge was a quick ascent but not too challenging and the walk along the ridge was beautiful. My boyfriend had a friend from out of town join us and it wasn’t too challenging for him, nor was the altitude climb too harsh. Kid and dog friendly.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Loved the views! Thought I was lost a lot of the time but that just added to the adventure.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Just an FYI - there’s a $7 park fee at the ranger station, cash or check only. Didn’t expect the charge so just wanted to let others know.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

One of my favorites to walk with my dog. Awesome views of the canyon.

Friday, August 25, 2017

This trail takes you to the top of the canyon and offers outstanding views of the entire park. The trail isn't marked the whole way, but there are cairns that help through the confusing part!

recorded Rim Rock Trail