Rich Creek Trail

Rich Creek Trail is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

This trail can be done as a loop with the Tumble Creek trail.

We are from Texas, and have acclimated to the altitude for two days. It wasn't a difficult hike as far as elevation or footing, but the trail was covered with snow within probably a mile of meeting the trail it makes a loop with. Unfortunately, since we didn't have any show shoes, we tried to go deeper into the Forrest ,but after half an hour decided to quit and turn back around. Overall it was a nice trail but next time I would definitely consider a trail with a more climactic goal.

Good for first time backpacking with high school students.

Although we didn't have time to complete the entire trail we hiked over 2.5 hours. It was absolutely beautiful and I want to go back next year. Another hiker stated we just missed a female moose and two calves. The stream provided a soothing sound as we winded up the mountain. Can't wait to get back.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Monday, July 06, 2015

Hi P.U. and any other recent trail users,

I just called the ranger station in Fairplay and they said the trailhead was 'underwater' a few weeks ago. I'm looking to head up this coming weekend. Sounds like things have dried out. Could you confirm if you did the whole loop?

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Fun hike, great quick hike to the overlook.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Great 3 day hike for novice backpackers - loop hikes are always great. It was my 13 year old son's first backpack trip and he loved it even though we did it in 2 days. Trail is very well marked with the exception of Buffalo Meadows. Hiking the route counter-clockwise you need to be very careful to get to the other side of Rich Creek or else you will be slushing along the bog and getting wet feet. There's little chance of getting lost but always bring a map.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Great trail. Well maintained and challenging. We started at about 7:45 AM and it worked out great. We hiked counterclockwise and it seemed to be the right decision.

Friday, July 05, 2013

This is a nice trail but difficult in some spots where you have to climb along the rocky or steep edge of the creek to continue. There were some people up here with kids but that seemed like it would be a challenge in these spots. I would certainly do this trail again.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday, August 11, 2012

This is a nice loop trail, either starting with Rich Creek or Tumbling Creek trails. These two connect up, and there are also other trails you can hit from either one.

The trails follow creeks part of the way, wind through meadows and also forests of spruce and fir. Most of the trail area is within the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness area.

There are a few established camp sites, and plenty of other spots that you can camp in.

Most of the trail stays close to water, but a 3 mile stretch up Tumbling Creek from the trailhead is not close to a water supply, so you may want to plan ahead. I ran low on water on the way out over this stretch, not realizing just quite how far I had yet to go.