Red Rocks Trail

Red Rocks Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Broadway: Red Rocks Trailhead: Traveling north passed the University turn left on to Mapleton Avenue. The trailhead lies approximately eight blocks west of Broadway on the left side of the road.

This was a great area to hike. We liked enjoyed the lake view.

A cool trail we found off of the Anemone trail (which I can't seem to find on all trails!). We did this trail on 8/4. I'm 5'4" (female) and in good shape and found this trail to be pretty easy. Good views from the top of the rocks if your safe about climbing.

We did this as our first hike in Boulder. We did the Sunshine Canyon trail then went over to the Red Rock Spur trail and played around on the rocks. Pretty cool place, but really crowded. Had fun, but probably won't go back.

I tried to follow the trail as it was given by All Trails and that was a BIG MISTAKE. On the route map I hiked up and went to the right to do the larger loop first. The trail was fine going up but when I got to the top it was not clear where to go to continue the loop. If you look at my route, it's all good for the first half then I'm all over the place trying to find the trail for the second half. I managed to more or less complete the loop, but it was NOT a trail - it was a snow runoff route at best. No one would ever describe it as "easy". I stupidly didn't bring a hiking pole because the trail was rated as easy and spent the last half of the hike nearly falling with every step. The ground was literally sliding out from under me. The takeaway is: DON'T DO THE LARGER LOOP AS A LOOP. Do up and back down the same way and you're good.

I can't even comment about the smaller loop (the one that actually takes you up to the red rocks) because I wasn't able to do it. I have a couple of old injuries that came back to life while trying to come down that not-a-trail trail. I will definitely go back to do that part of the hike (the smaller loop to the left) when I can.

It also should be noted that the part of the larger loop that is an actual trail is a little more challenging than "easy". Gaining 1,000 feet of elevation in half a mile is no joke. It's definitely doable, but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. I would be very nervous to bring kids there.

Sweet and easy and great views

WILDFLOWERS!!!! It's all just challenging enough for a mixed group. Scree can be a little slippery in spots.
It's an "easy form of steep" but don't be fooled, Anemone has some dodgy spots and people actually have fallen from there! so take care on the areas with steep drops into Boulder Cyn. where there are a lot of jagged, exposed rocks embedded into the trail. Keep your group focused through there and enjoy the little summits, flowers, and views! Oh, and pick up your dog poop bags. Whew, nasty.