Red Rocks Trail

Red Rocks Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Broadway: Red Rocks Trailhead: Traveling north passed the University turn left on to Mapleton Avenue. The trailhead lies approximately eight blocks west of Broadway on the left side of the road.

I hiked on a gloomy day. There are not a lot of hikers. It is a short but sweet hike. Great views up the top. Love it!

Loved it

too many tourists

Kids loved it but lots of loose rock and mud.

Gorgeous red rocks. Easy to get lost, but that’s part of the fun! Best if you enjoy climbing rocks - climbing to the peak of them was a highlight for me. Can be scary climbing back down from rocks. The grass is so green at some parts that it looks prettier than some golf courses!

This Red Rocks to Anemone trail is closed off at the Centennial Trailhead, accessed from Mapleton Ave as it's turning into Sunshine Canyon. Postings said it was supposed to open in February. (I'm told you can get on the RR trail from Settler's Park.) Probably 12 parking spots in this lot. Instead we took the Sunshine Canyon trail (easy, narrow trail) and then crossed the canyon to get on Lion's Lair.

Beautiful views, lots of fun. Brought our dog and he loved it.

Stay on the trails for an easy walk with awesome views, or climb around on the rocks for something different. The whole family went on this hike and everyone enjoyed it.

Did this fun short trail yesterday. It was a breeze and the dogs loved it.
Caution: parking lot, stairs, and beginning of trailhead are very icy right now but the rest is fine.

This is a nice short hike for the family. Lots of views to keep the parents motivated and lots of rock scrambles to keep the kids engaged. The western half of the loop was closed but the hike up to the peek was still rewarding.

Great day for a hike in late December. The trail was somewhat muddy and slushy with melted snow on the way up and down, but to be expected this time of year. At the top, there are some nice rock scrambles if you use your imagination, and the views are incredible.

Easy hiking and fun opportunities for bouldering! Stellar views of Boulder city.

Nice easy set of trails up to some amazing red rock formations sooo close to downtown but hidden nestled among the foothills. Go just past the sanitas trailhead to find parking and some great trails going on either side and through/over the awesome red rocks. Note... this is not red rocks like the famous amphitheater!

Cool rock formations to scramble up on!! You can see these rock formations from Chautauqua Park, just jutting out of the ground. I did it after the Anemone trail which is just a short distance from the trailhead.

by Kentucky standards this was not easy. i was out here for a wedding working in hour hikes when i could. This had too many people and to close to town. but i did not rate it lower because it is in the rockies and you got t see some red rock.

Beautiful trail, some damage from recent valley fire. The on-leash designation is incorrect, this trail is part of the voice and sight control off-leash program per Boulder County: https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/dog-regulations-by-area

Great trail with neat views from the top. The max elevation is around 5800. Went the day after the October snowstorm so it was pretty slick, but had a great time.

This was our last day hiking in the area and although this is much better than the trails where we live, after hiking in the National Park this was much different. The trail turns weren't labeled that well and a portion of the trail was under construction where they were putting in water or sewage lines. You can definitely make your own routes back in here but I'm sure there is much better hiking in the area than this.

Out for a run? Head to the end of Pearl St.
Quick easy hike/run up to the Red Rocks.
Or a light walk/hike with your partner, great views of Boulder.

A quick, exciting hike w/ connect to Mount Sanitas.

I was very fond of this hike. Beautiful rock formations and views, and a lot of little trails to take detours.

I brought my son and daughter along on this one. This easy trail was a great way to get some forest bathing in while enjoying views of Boulder.

gorgeous trail but I would def say it's moderate not easy. not well marked at all.

Lots of different paths, great trail, beautiful scenery

This was a great area to hike. We liked enjoyed the lake view.

A cool trail we found off of the Anemone trail (which I can't seem to find on all trails!). We did this trail on 8/4. I'm 5'4" (female) and in good shape and found this trail to be pretty easy. Good views from the top of the rocks if your safe about climbing.

We did this as our first hike in Boulder. We did the Sunshine Canyon trail then went over to the Red Rock Spur trail and played around on the rocks. Pretty cool place, but really crowded. Had fun, but probably won't go back.

I tried to follow the trail as it was given by All Trails and that was a BIG MISTAKE. On the route map I hiked up and went to the right to do the larger loop first. The trail was fine going up but when I got to the top it was not clear where to go to continue the loop. If you look at my route, it's all good for the first half then I'm all over the place trying to find the trail for the second half. I managed to more or less complete the loop, but it was NOT a trail - it was a snow runoff route at best. No one would ever describe it as "easy". I stupidly didn't bring a hiking pole because the trail was rated as easy and spent the last half of the hike nearly falling with every step. The ground was literally sliding out from under me. The takeaway is: DON'T DO THE LARGER LOOP AS A LOOP. Do up and back down the same way and you're good.

I can't even comment about the smaller loop (the one that actually takes you up to the red rocks) because I wasn't able to do it. I have a couple of old injuries that came back to life while trying to come down that not-a-trail trail. I will definitely go back to do that part of the hike (the smaller loop to the left) when I can.

It also should be noted that the part of the larger loop that is an actual trail is a little more challenging than "easy". Gaining 1,000 feet of elevation in half a mile is no joke. It's definitely doable, but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. I would be very nervous to bring kids there.

Sweet and easy and great views

WILDFLOWERS!!!! It's all just challenging enough for a mixed group. Scree can be a little slippery in spots.
It's an "easy form of steep" but don't be fooled, Anemone has some dodgy spots and people actually have fallen from there! so take care on the areas with steep drops into Boulder Cyn. where there are a lot of jagged, exposed rocks embedded into the trail. Keep your group focused through there and enjoy the little summits, flowers, and views! Oh, and pick up your dog poop bags. Whew, nasty.