Red Rocks and Morrison Slide Trails

Red Rocks and Morrison Slide Trails is a 3 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail was pretty and reasonably deserted on a week day morning. I would rank it as Easy, as the incline was subtle and the trail was clear. Little bit of loose rock but nothing that really even resulted in hard breathing. Would be great for a short sunrise hike.

nicely maintained trail. often many mountain bikers though, so share the road (:

saw some snakes (danger noodles), so watch yo self.

Nice hike but not much shade along the trail.

Fun little hike if you’re short on time and/or want to stay closer to the city! Great views of Red Rocks and Matthews/Winters Park. Highly recommend!

beautiful hike

Convenient from Denver. We saw a couple of owls and deer. Had nice views at sunset.

Thought I was so cool until I got lost. Rookie move. But a gorgeous day nonetheless and not many people!

Way overcrowded with bikers. Moderately easy and fun hike. Not the best views in the area but it’s definitely worth checking out as it’s so close to the city!!

Awesome views, well worth the trip. Not too hard, a bit of a climb on switch backs at first but overall not bad.

Beautiful views, and a great workout! I highly recommend this trail!!

I decided to have an impromptu sunrise breakfast overlooking Denver. This trail provided a pretty nice spot to welcome the new day. I started before sun up on a Tuesday morning so I was the only person on the trail. I followed the Red Rocks trail to the Morrison Slide trail and did the loop clockwise. It was pretty easy with only a few sections that required some high stepping. If you live in the Denver area and you are looking for a quick hike with a view of the sunrise, then give this one a shot.

Really dig this trail. Great views.

Gorgeous views. Kind people. Decent hike, not too strenuous. My kids loved it.

solid 4 stars. good hike. lots of people, dogs, and bikes but there's enough room for everyone. friendly people and dogs. totally worth doing this hike

The trail was certainly animal crowded and muddy and icy even on a 70 degree day. Shame on some of the dog owners. I stepped in dog poop the first leg of the hike and as I was trail running back down with my dog a dog off leash jumped on me from behind knocking me down and growing at my dog. The owner ran up and apologized saying the dog doesn’t like other people!?I also saw two dogs off leash in a fight. Even though there are multiple signs saying your animal needs to be on a leash, no one listens. Great hike but stay away from the crowded weekend.

Nice little hike!

Great trail. Nice distance and the hill isn’t bad. Nice view at the top. Took the dogs and they did well on it. Recommend for a nice casual hike.

Very fun hike. Great exposure so was not to cold. Well traveled by hikers, bikers, and runners.

This trail is one of my favs. I live in Morrison so it is a good quick and close hike. Good amount of sun exposure so good for a chilly / sunny day like today. was a little bit of ice but no traction chains needed. It is a popular trail so usually a lot of other hikers and mountain bikers.

This was a great trail! Great views with gorgeous rock formations!

Nice trail with nice views, easy enough distance and not overly challenging if you’re a beginner. If you take Red Rocks trail to Morrison Slide trail going clockwise, take the upper Red Rocks trail to return to your starting point. It’s very tempting to take the lower Red Rocks trail as it appears to head in the direction you want to go but ends up looping around and adding some distance to your hike only to return to same fork in the trail

Well maintained trail. Great views.

Beautiful trail. Perfect length. We loved it!

Completed Morrison Side trail and looped back via Red Rocks trail. Great hike for a quick up-and-down close to Denver. Pretty terrain and views eastward. Heavily trafficked with both hikers and bikers, so be prepared to yield occasionally when the trail narrows at certain times. Lots of dogs on leashes. Overall, a very nice hike.

Close to home and cell service the entire time were pluses. I'm glad I read the reviews and followed the pro tip left by someone else on taking the right (or upper) red rocks trails when coming off the Morrison Slide portion (when you go clockwise). Both the trails are labeled Ref Rocks trail and I would have guessed wrong had I not read that. Good mix of challenging rocky steep sections and flatter walker sections. I quite liked the hike. On the way out was warned by the great hikers of CO that there was a rattle snake just off the trail in a bush. Definitely freaked me out but folks were able to describe where it was and that it wasn't on the path or looking to strike so it was easy to get by (and noisy and made itself known!). Glad the hiking community sticks together and shares the info to keep hikers and dogs safe! Hope I don't run into another anytime soon. On the plus side though I now know exactly what one sounds like it real life!

Been here multiple times & always enjoy my hikes here. It's close to home when I need a quick hike & can't venture off too far. On this cold, foggy, wet & muddy morning, only ran into a handful of people. Definately less crowded during the week!

This was a great hike if you are limited on time or distance. It's close to Denver, easy to get to, and only took a couple hours.
There are some great views of the valley surrounding Red Rocks, and of Denver from the top.
I recommend this hike.

This was a great trail and it was beautiful even -- or especially -- on a foggy morning. I might even rate this one easy instead of moderate. But the trails weren't marked super well. We took the wrong trail at the switch from the morrison slide to the red rocks trail, even though it was labeled red rocks trail (pro-tip, take the path to the right) and went on a 45 minute detour. Would definitely do this again now that I know which trail to take, but was pretty disappointed in the lack of clear signage.

easy hike. nice views. Of course Red Rocks Amp. is a nice venue . Great salads and food!