Red Rocks and Morrison Slide Trails

Red Rocks and Morrison Slide Trails is a 3 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

very little shade
easily accessible
not too difficult
decent views

It’s exercise and if you do the Morrison slide, you get some elevation. It’s just kind of boring and exposed. I did 5 miles in 2 hours including a rest at one of the view points.

nice hike

Nice easy hike. Not a lot of shade.

Lovely hike. Will be one of our go-tos since it's so close to Denver. Great view of Red Rocks. It wasn't very crowded on a Sunday morning/early afternoon. Definitely be prepared for very little shade along the way!

Late August: Beautiful views. Not a ton of wildlife--saw a mouse, a hawk and a few small birds. Neat desert type landscape compared to RMNP. Very open (read: no shade). Not too difficult. Moderately trafficked on Friday before Labor Day.

Great views and moderately difficult

1st Hike in Denver! A little challenging for a fat guy like me! Loose stones, uneven terrain, and the 1st half mile is straight up! I loved it can’t wait to go back!

Great hike! Great views! Not to hard, not a ton of shade.

Trail was pretty and reasonably deserted on a week day morning. I would rank it as Easy, as the incline was subtle and the trail was clear. Little bit of loose rock but nothing that really even resulted in hard breathing. Would be great for a short sunrise hike.

nicely maintained trail. often many mountain bikers though, so share the road (:

saw some snakes (danger noodles), so watch yo self.

Nice hike but not much shade along the trail.

Fun little hike if you’re short on time and/or want to stay closer to the city! Great views of Red Rocks and Matthews/Winters Park. Highly recommend!

beautiful hike

Convenient from Denver. We saw a couple of owls and deer. Had nice views at sunset.

Thought I was so cool until I got lost. Rookie move. But a gorgeous day nonetheless and not many people!

Way overcrowded with bikers. Moderately easy and fun hike. Not the best views in the area but it’s definitely worth checking out as it’s so close to the city!!

Awesome views, well worth the trip. Not too hard, a bit of a climb on switch backs at first but overall not bad.

Beautiful views, and a great workout! I highly recommend this trail!!

I decided to have an impromptu sunrise breakfast overlooking Denver. This trail provided a pretty nice spot to welcome the new day. I started before sun up on a Tuesday morning so I was the only person on the trail. I followed the Red Rocks trail to the Morrison Slide trail and did the loop clockwise. It was pretty easy with only a few sections that required some high stepping. If you live in the Denver area and you are looking for a quick hike with a view of the sunrise, then give this one a shot.

Really dig this trail. Great views.

Gorgeous views. Kind people. Decent hike, not too strenuous. My kids loved it.

solid 4 stars. good hike. lots of people, dogs, and bikes but there's enough room for everyone. friendly people and dogs. totally worth doing this hike

The trail was certainly animal crowded and muddy and icy even on a 70 degree day. Shame on some of the dog owners. I stepped in dog poop the first leg of the hike and as I was trail running back down with my dog a dog off leash jumped on me from behind knocking me down and growing at my dog. The owner ran up and apologized saying the dog doesn’t like other people!?I also saw two dogs off leash in a fight. Even though there are multiple signs saying your animal needs to be on a leash, no one listens. Great hike but stay away from the crowded weekend.

Nice little hike!

Great trail. Nice distance and the hill isn’t bad. Nice view at the top. Took the dogs and they did well on it. Recommend for a nice casual hike.

Very fun hike. Great exposure so was not to cold. Well traveled by hikers, bikers, and runners.

This trail is one of my favs. I live in Morrison so it is a good quick and close hike. Good amount of sun exposure so good for a chilly / sunny day like today. was a little bit of ice but no traction chains needed. It is a popular trail so usually a lot of other hikers and mountain bikers.