Red Mountain Trail

Red Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a relatively short trail with spectacular views on the way up as well as at the top. From the summit you can locate the Manitou Springs Incline, Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds, the Cliff House, Kissing Camels in Garden of the Gods, and of course, Colorado Springs. Even though close in to civilization, it is easy to feel like you are worlds away from it while ascending. We recommend using the free parking and Incline shuttle since the trail heads aren't too far apart. You're not allowed to park off Spring Street anymore and will get towed. Parking along Ruxton is paid parking/for residents.

This was a bit difficult for me only being at this elevation for less than 24 hours but the hike was well worth it. My 14 year old son had no trouble at all. Very light traffic which was very nice, however, we ran into some very nice people along the way. Just the right distance for me to some beautiful views!!

we completed this hike on a sunny Earth Day Sunday! I am currently living in Maine, so am adjusting to the altitude but it was the perfect afternoon hike for this Mainer! Slow grades uphill with super rewarding views. Side note - my sister got engaged on this mountain and it was perfect - we only saw a few people during our hike on a gorgeous day, and we had perfect views of Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak and well as the incline and Colorado Springs. We also brought out 70 year old father with us and he was able to complete the hike as well. We brought LOTS of water to adjust to the altitude.

I park at the Incline Parking ( 10 Old Man’s Trail) in Manitou and walked to the trail head on Ruxton. There are other options, such as more of a loop walk, first picking up the Paul Intemann trail on Pawnee Ave (where library is) from the east and then returning via Ruxton. When you reach Ruxton, you might want to check out the mineral springs there (near where the trail starts on Ruxton). I like to walk from Ruxton back to my car to grab a coffee or treat in Manitou Springs (the town has many great tea/coffee shops and restaurants). The hike up Red Mountain has some steeper sections with loose scree (so recommend poles) as you near the top but the walk is beautiful. Views are awesome from the summit where you can see the Incline and Pikes Peak looking west. Recommend care on/near the summit as there is loose scree and I personally wouldn't want to go "sledding" down that mountain as Emma Crawford did!

Great trail. Hiked on 2/2/18 - no snow on the trail. There are a couple of smaller trails that intersect - remember this is a mainly switchback trail. There are three places in particular that go either left, right or straight - go left up the switchback on all three.

This trail is rated moderate but it's difficult. Pretty steep Uphill almost the entire way. Views aren't great along the way but I bet getting to the top would be worthwhile. I just never got there because about half a mile to the top the two isn't marked and there are two possible ways you can go. I took the wrong way. This trail is good because there aren't that many people.

We park in Maintou and walk up Ruxton until we get to Spring street to the left (east), before the cog railway parking. This trail is connected to others worth exploring. The history of this trail and mountain, as well as the views you get from each part of the trail make this a favorite for an afternoon hike.

My first mountain to climb. Loved it, went off on some side trail towards the end of my assent. Way more difficult than if I just climbed going around via the 'original' more traveled trail. Where I went 'wrong', was I stayed to the left more than the right!

Park at memorial park and take the shuttle, we walked back to MP so we could walk Manitou

Park at the incline shuttle lot and ride up. Especially on the weekend.

The hike took us one hour to the summit. We walked, we jogged, we caught our breath.

There's a nice view of the incline. The hike is a mix of shade and sun so you won't burn up. Some loose gravel on the trail. For being a short hike it's a good challenge.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Loved this trail. Being a flat lander this trail seemed hard so to the change in altitude. Great views and very peaceful.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Parking is a pain in the neck, but if you take the free shuttle to the TH, it shouldn't be too bad.

The views from the top are fantastic!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Nice incline to make you work hard. Great view at the top. Try to avoid parking directly near the trail head, parking costs are $10 an hour.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Locals favorite

Sunday, March 19, 2017

As someone who is hiking for both entertainment and exercise, this is a perfect hike. It's a fairly steep incline once you get to the base of Red Mountain. It's tiring, but not the worst. The views are worth it.

Note, All Trails directs you to park at a trail head off Spring St. You're not allowed to park here anymore and will get towed. Parking along Ruxton is paid parking/for residents. I recommend using the free parking and Incline shuttle since the trail heads aren't too far apart.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

great views. need microspikes during winter.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Great trail ❤ challenging and beautiful peaceful view. definitely a regular visit to this one ❤

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Great mountain hike for beginners to higher elevation. Views of Pikes peak and manitou springs from the top.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Nice trail, scarcely used. Great alternative to crowded nearby trails.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Awesome View at the top!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Fun hike to see top of manitou springs