Ruby Wash and Big Hole Wash Trail

Ruby Wash and Big Hole Wash Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wellington, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

Note: Red Mountain Open Space is closed December 1 through March 1.

Really enjoyable hike. With our spring rain this year, this is the greenest I've seen NE Colorado in five years. The hike in the canyon on Bent Rock Trail along Sand Creek is superb for early season wild flowers, cliff swallows, changing to meadow larks, and plovers when you get to the prairie in the bowl and along the creek near Ruby Wash Trail. Nicely maintained trails that cut to a two track and back to trails. The trails up the big dry washes are a bit of a concern for me coming from areas with flash flooding. Noted by cairns in wire cages and a stake, and while it's not thunderstorm season yet keep that in the back of your mind. I did see a lot bear sign out there including a fairly fresh track at the edge of the creek near the Ruby Wash Trail (picture uploaded). The area is pretty gravelly and bear tracks won't always be super clear. I decided to give the bear a wide berth and hike back down the trail. I found other bear evidence in Big Hole Wash, with unclear tracks because it was a deep gravelly track, but with a larger stride than mine and deeper impression (meaning bigger and heavier than me) that had turned up wetter gravel from deeper layers. So I turned back. Still got in almost five miles. Hike smart and enjoy yourself.

The dirt road leading to the open space was very muddy and slippery because it had just rained and snowed. When I got there I started on the Bent Rock Trail to the Ruby Wash then went to Big Hole Wash and finished on the Sinking Sun Trail. Just a little loop almost 4 miles. The trails were wet, and muddy on the Ruby Wash. The loop I did was very easy and had some great panoramic views. I can see myself coming back and doing more of the trails, probably on a calm and cool day for there isn't much in the way of shade.

Hiked this in March shortly after the park reopened due to seasonal closure. Unique landscape as compared to the rest of Larimer County. Took this loop and added a 1 mile climb up the Cheyenne Rim trail to its high point where the trail switches from the Ruby trail to Salt Lake trail, which is well worth the view. Made the hike 10 miles in total.

This was gorgeous and very lightly trafficked on a Saturday in early March. There aren’t many trees so I imagine it gets hot in the summer. The majority of this route is easy and mostly flat. Highly recommended especially if you love rocks!

Red Mountain Open Space was a great area for a good trail run. I liked it as there wasn't that many people here as compared to places closer to Fort Collins or in the mountains. The landscape is neat especially when running along the various washes and the amazing landscapes that the rivers have carved. However, it still isn't quite as good as compared to some of the mountain landscapes. I still recommend it as a unique place to visit and experience.

Sunday, March 13, 2016