Red Mountain Trail

Red Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glenwood Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my first time on Red Mountain Trail. I really wanted to get to the Summit and see the cross and it was well worth it. took me nearly 3 hours to get to the top though I have to say a good part of that time was spent enjoying the scenery stopping & taking photos enjoying 360 degree views at every turn. truly fun trail for adventurous hikers. Be mindful of cyclists sharing the trail too. challenging for me at times. I recommend this hike. moderate to hard at least it was for me. Super cardio workout specially going up, coming down was a breeze!! bring lots of water and some snacks for blood sugar and protein

Great trail for the person of moderate skill level. Fantastic views! I had no bear repellant and was completely alone on my way back down. As luck would have it, I encountered a bear after traversing about 1.7 miles down the trail. It was a good outcome for both the bear and for myself though. Lessons learned: 1. Never hike alone and 2. Always have two cans of bear repellant as a minimum. I will definitely do this trail again. Be careful and have a great hike.

Very challenging in the dead of summer. PSA: Saw a bear cub half way up, be careful.

The trail itself goes straight up the hillside and is a bit of a tree basher. We abandoned the trail and took the road, about a third of the way up. Made for a much more pleasant hike. The views of Glenwood below and Mt. Sopris in the distance were fantastic.

A great day hike, not a lot of people on the Thursday I went, and a stunning end view!! The beginning of the trail was the hardest part, basically a vertical climb. But after that, it opened to a road that takes you all the way up with some trails curving off into the woods. The road is the easiest path for sure.

Nice hike. I took the trail up and the road down do to issues with my knees. Nice views of GWS. There is a picnic table at the top which would be good for lunch.

Fantastic exercise. Great views!

It's not a "wild" trail by any means, but if you want a pristine view of Glenwood Springs, this is the trail to take. You can get a solid post card picture. The trail is wide and mostly paved, great for biking (down) and jogging. Optionally, you can take the hiking trail less traveled that shortcuts and is more challenging, a wonderful leg workout. It is mostly uncovered along the trail, lots of sun exposure. Highly recommended.

Great views... wear sunblock for sure. We took many cut through trails... didn't realize it wasn't actually trail. Don't be fooled bc it's pretty intense if you take this route. Stay on the gravel winding path

Easy trail all uphill but flat and paved. Not much of a chance for twisted ankles! Wear sunblock!!!

Monday, September 12, 2016