Red Mesa Loop is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sedalia, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: This trail is overgrown and almost non-existent. Unless you want to bushwhack and proceed down a treacherous hill on the way out, do not attempt. In addition, ATVs often use this trail which can make it unsafe for hiking. The trailhead is not marked. It is located at the end of the campground behind site #18. There is no marker, only an old steel sign indicating "no motorized vehicles". The trail down to the loop is a well defined runoff trail which brings you down to a small fairly open meadow. Here is where the loop begins, go immediately right, into the trees along a small creek.

Couldn’t find the trail

Road closed to get back there. 4.5 miles walk if you use the parking lot. Turned around myself

We were only on the trail some of the time, otherwise we were following GPS trekking through the woods trying to find the damn trail, which included getting lost in the woods on the south side of the trail. DO NOT TRY THIS TRAIL WITHOUT A COMPASS AND MAP!!! My compass is the only way we made it out because cell reception is non existent for most of the trail making it hard for your phone GPS to sync to the map. The directions given in a previous review are accurate. I posted a pic of the metal sign referenced. When you get down to the meadow it’s a sharp right and you likely won’t see the trail so follow your track on the All Trails map. A lot of this trail turns into the ATV trail which hiking isn’t allowed, so be careful. If you want zero people and have a GPS, compass, and the trails map downloaded then go for it but I would recommend against it. Two stars solely for the solitude but thank goodness I had GPS, compass and map. We wound up going 5.14 miles rather than the 3 stated. All Trails should remove this as the campground host hadn’t even heard of the trail before and it’s not on the main park map at all. P.S. I also posted a pic of the steep hill that you need to go down on the far western edge of the trail at the halfway point of the loop to head back east. This is where we lost the trail forever.

Mon May 27 2019

Literally, could not find trail. Started on what appeared to be a real trail, but it soon petered out. Checking GPS, it looked like I was standing right on the trail. Followed the "trail" via GPS for quite a bit, meandered on one side and the other of the "trail." Should have crossed it 10 times. Ended up bumping into another trail which was nice, but not the original one we were seeking.

Mon May 21 2018

A nice trail, though unmarked and overgrown. The previous review gives great directions on how to actually find the trailhead. I was the only person on this trail, so if you’re looking for solitude this is a good one. It’s easy and not at all strenuous. I believe the only reason it is rated intermediate is because of the difficulty of actually finding and staying on the trail.

Sun Apr 08 2018

poor review only because trail was closed when I visited 4/6/18- super bummed. Great local spots for anglers though if that's your thing ...or picnics

Sun Oct 22 2017

The trail is not very well defined. We got lost in the woods, but the GPS helped us get back safely. The scenery was incredible, and no people around. I will try to hike this one next season too.

Sat Jun 17 2017

You have to park at the lot right off rampart range rd for the campground turnoff and walk into the campground . The trailhead is not marked. It is located at the end of the campground behind site #18. There is no marker, only an old steel sign indicating "no motorized vehicles". The trail down to the loop is a well defined runoff trail which brings you down to a small fairly open meadow. Here is where the loop begins, go immediately right, into the trees along a small creek. The trail itself is almost indiscernible and overgrown. It's a great area, but I did not go to far. I forgot my bear spray and I know this area is frequented by them. It's clear the trail is not maintained if it ever was a real trail, it may be a game trail. I'll be coming back when im better prepared.

Tue Jun 13 2017

You can access Red Mesa Loop from Deer Creek Canyon.

Sun Feb 05 2017

Folks should know that you can't get to this trail until the Rampart Range Rd. opens for the season.

Fri Sep 19 2014

Hiked this from Plymouth Creek trail; adds extra distance and more views of Denver from on high. Nice trail pretty even once you've already climbed Plymouth Creek to get there; about half is along the ridge, the way back is mostly wooded.

Sun Oct 15 2017