Red Elephant Hill to Empire Loop

Red Elephant Hill to Empire Loop is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Empire, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

Although hikers and mountain bikers may use this route, it is mostly an off-road driving route. The loop eventually reaches the Empire Hilton Cabin. This route is only for 4WD vehicles with high ground clearance. Red Elephant Hill is narrow, steep and tippy in places. Empire Loop is rocky. Users have reported that the beginning of this route is on a dirt road that passes through private property.

40 minutes ago

It was a good trail up until I got to a technical point that I wasn’t going to attempt for fear of damaging my 2017 Tacoma. I have a 2” lift and the trail seemed to be washed out more than usual. If I wasn’t alone or if had a winch I would’ve attempted it. I will be coming back later when I am more equipped to tackle the obstacles.

off road driving

Unfortunately I didn’t find the access point to this trail. I was in the exact spot the map shows here above in the bio and I followed it. It looked like private property and it turned out to be private property. I’m giving it 1 star because the GPS/directions need to be updated. Looked like a run trail to hit too, darn it.

completed 08.11.18, all gates open and water crossings down to a few inches.

If you are looking for a challenge you will find it! narrow, long, steep and full of obstacles. I ended up with some new scars on my skid plates but with my ego intact. signed the guest book at the empire Hilton. -remember as you go up that you have to hit all the same stuff coming back down!

'13 Wrangler sport, 3.5-inch AEV kit, 35's aired down to 11, novice driver.

Ran this trail, the 20-30% grade in places, along with frequent giant holes created by 4x4 spinning tires made this route very challenging but fun.

This wasn’t even a hiking trail. It was an off-roading trail with an intense ascent and even worse decent. Loose rocks, litter, people drinking and shooting guns. Not worth it, don’t waste your time.

off road driving

Fun trail, but as of this date (5/12/18) it becomes unpassible at about 3 - 3 1/2 miles in because of deep heavy snow. Had to turn around.

This trail has no access.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Great trail, it's become more difficult thru the season this year. . the trees are changing color now so I'd suggest getting up there soon for best viewing.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I did this trail in a stock 2 door JK Rubicon. It required good line choice in 1-2 spots, otherwise I'd consider this an easy trail.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Don't hike this. it is an off roading trail. I am an idiot and thought it was a hike. The initial incline was pretty brutal, and the decent was terrible. 0/5 without a jeep.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great trail, we did this in a 2 door jk with 3.5" lift and 35s and I would definetly recommend using a lifted rig on this trail.

Friday, June 23, 2017

me and my brother did this in a stock tj. I would not recommend this if ur just starting out. it took us a while to get up in the stock tj. other than that it's a good trail it will test ur ability

Friday, June 23, 2017

A stock Nissan Xterra will not make it. Not speaking from an experience that happened 3 hours ago. A friend told me that... you wouldn't know him... he goes to a different school...

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Red Elephant Hill is one entrance into the "Empire" 4x4 trail system. This entrance is quite tricky and can cause you some serious vehicle damage if you are a novice or you try it with a stock vehicle. I waited until I modified my Rubicon with 3.5 inch lift and 35' tires. There are a few "tippy" spots through the rocks but once past that you will be fine. The Empire entrance is my choice and it has more sub trails right as you go in. There is Bill Moore Lake and several other runs you can take that include a few nice water crossings as well. I love this place for aspen viewing in the fall. This is a "must do" trip if you love off-roading!!

Sunday, July 30, 2017