Learn more

Rawhide Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Loop

A great mix of rolling hills, single track, wide dirt road, pine trees, and open meadow scenery.

bueatiful day. so great to be here. heavy traffic. I don't think you should force your 5 year olds to bike here though....calling you bad parents out!!!

Arrived at 7:15am. Finished in 2hr45min. Completed the whole loop. When we arrived there were only 5 cars or so in the lot. We ran into our first person within an hour or so, and then of course around like 9a or so we started running into more people but was very minimal. Hikers, joggers and mtn bikers.. We enjoyed the scenery though. Saw a deer and then your basic rodents (squirrels and chips) There are rocky portions to the trail. Some sections with minimal shade but it was never for a long period of time. By the time we left, the lot was packed. It did get warm quick today too! Lots of water! oh and dogs on leash. :)

My only complaint is that we could not find a water spigot for the horses near the parking lot after the ride. Otherwise a beautiful trail, a little rocky for the horses sometimes but overall not bad. Limited parking for trailers. We did see a juvenile cinnamon black bear so be aware while on the trail! Very open, not many people (Thursday morning), well maintained.

We did Rawhide loop today. Alltrails says 5 miles, fitbit agrees. We went counterclockwise, and that puts most of the shade in the first half of the hike. I'd call this a mild-moderate trail. You start downhill, so you end uphill either direction you go. Not sure who says all the views are at the Trailhead, because there are several lovely views along the way with panoramas of the city, valleys, etc. We saw two deer, not together, and a squirrel munching on a pine cone 6 feet away. We left at 7:15am and there were 9 cars in the parking lot. We saw 15 hikers and 3 bikers. Finished at 9:15am and lot was full with a lot more folks starting out. The trail is lovely, about 2/3 shaded or partially shaded. A nice walk in the woods and some meadows. People were about 50/50 on masks, if that's important to you.

Good hike. You don’t do this one for the views. Per the other review, the best view is from the parking lot. It was nice to have some shade and some sun. There wasn’t too many people out today althg parking lot was full at 8:30am. Still a fun day enjoying nature.

Great trail and well maintained. It is about a mile short of what All Trails says it is, but still great

Easy and beautiful. Right side is smaller, more interesting while left becomes wide and flat. We went counterclockwise. Best views are at the trailhead!

Great hike! Easy to moderate. I think counterclockwise is more challenging.

I took the counter clockwise route as other hikers suggested. The trail starts as a single track but widens once you pass the halfway point. I agree with the moderate rating, it was the right amount of challenge for my fitness level. There’s a balance of shade and sun so use sunscreen and wear a hat in the open meadow sections. Power lines intersect portions of this space, unfortunately. Otherwise the views were very nice.

Great trail with a few nice views. Not too strenuous and had a good mix of shade and non-shaded areas.

Overall really green and good view along the trail. Every mile or so, I would stop and enjoy the view around me. The parking looked full but there was not a lot of people on the trail on a Friday morning. This place is perfect for out of state visitors since even the view from the parking lot looks beautiful, not too far from the city, and there are multiple shorter trials that are appropriate for all comfort level.

I did the loop counterclockwise. Good workout and very serene on a Wednesday. Definitely sunny and hot by the end.

Beautiful trail and good combination of forest and meadows. Also very clean! I didn’t see any abandoned bags of dog poop like you see at a lot of the other trails around here.

Loved this little hike. During the week it was not crowded at all. Nice mix of green rolling hills, wooded area, views. Wildflowers starting to bloom.

Such a lovely hike! The open space makes for the prettiest mountain and city views. The hike is a mixture of flat and easy paths with a couple of inclines, but nothing too bad. Took my dog with me and he loved it as well.

5/25/20 – As previous hikers suggested, I did this hike counterclockwise to tackle the steeper incline early in the hike vs the tail end. The trail was damp but no mud, despite the rain yesterday. Nice views of meadow and forest with plenty of shade. Parking lot was busy on the Memorial Day holiday, but didn’t encounter many other hikers on the trail.

Really nice trail with parts both shaded by trees and some in open field. Some people wearing masks but those that aren’t tend to move off to the side of the trail to let you pass with plenty of distance. Saw two snakes but luckily no rattle snacks. I would suggest doing the route counterclockwise as you knock out a steep incline within the first mile and then the rest is up down and with a steady moderate incline towards the last bit. We went clockwise and we’re kind of tired when we had to do the steep hike up at the very end.

Great hike on a beautiful Colorado day! Probably got to the trailhead around 10:00am and the parking lot was full, but just parked on the street and hit the trail. Great trail to start off the season. Lots of people on trail over the holiday weekend, but still plenty of room to enjoy on your own.

Great trail. Little over 5 miles and took about 2.5 hours. Some rocks but doable. Shade, gorgeous views, meadow, rock outcroppings. Not busy on a week day. Bathroom at trailhead on the counterclockwise side. Would definately do again. Few bikes but not bad.

This was a great hike. Not to far from the city, varied terrain, good conditions and not too crowded!

stunning!!!!!!!! so so so much fun. i went counterclockwise and feel as though it would have been more rigorous had i gone clockwise, for those looking for a workout. however, it was still super cool and for being so close to the city, it felt isolated and serene. im gonna go all the time, i loved it

This was a great midmorning hike. We went early on a weekday and the parking lot was quiet. Feels removed from the crowds compared to other trails in the area. The trail itself provides a nice versatility in terrain, winding through meadow and woodland. Definitely an uphill climb at times but the reward of quiet trails is worth it.

This is a fun one! Beautiful views, some wildflowers, only busy at the beginning and end of the trail. Definitely a work out for us sedentary COVID isolation peeps. Some hill climbing, just a wonderful Sunday hike.

I love Rawhide Trail! There are two ways to start it either on the right or the left. You can also make it a short loop by taking wranglers run trail and connecting back to Rawhide to make for a nice loop that is a little under an hour and perfect for after work or when you’re short on time. I never get tired of the views here - there’s a beautiful meadow and then you get into some nice forested areas. I’ve hiked it multiple times in different seasons and it’s my favorite trail.

Part of the trail is wooded and has a narrow/rocky path while the other part is an open space!