Ramparts Loop

Ramparts Loop is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mancos, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

In my opinion, all the dirtbikers ruin the experience of this trail. They never yielded to us once, even thought there were signs indicating that dirt bikers are supposed to yield to hikers. No real payoff views.

Overall great hike. Went on a Sunday morning, saw 5 dirt bikers, and zero biker/hikers. I recommend doing the loop clockwise. Beautiful aspens throughout, and a very moderate incline the last mile makes for a positive experience. Don't let the elevation gain fool you.. most of the 1,000 feet is in one or two sections, making for some calf burning inclines. My 11 and 8 year olds did it just fine.

Great trail for both dirt bikers and hikers. Combining it with other trails in the area makes for a great day of riding.

Beautiful scenery. Definitely worth the trek.

My daughter and I hiked this today. It was absolutely beautiful! We picked a few service berries along the way for homemade jam. Saw some elk, a small buck in velvet, and heard a mountain lion cub crying for mom. It was a lot of either downhill or uphill hiking. So be prepared to get a good workout in! If you’re looking at the map, we went clockwise from the starting point. It puts you out onto a road. If you go clockwise you need to turn right and go up the road a ways until you reconnect with the trailhead. I suggest keeping your phone charged so you can have the map open. We ended up taking a 2 mile detour. Lol

Beautiful hike with views, flowers and butterflies. Only saw a couple groups of dirt bikers and one other pair of hikers. About 7 miles off 160 behind Echo Basin. Easy to find and nice, well-marked trail. Great time!

recorded Ramparts Loop