Rampart Reservoir via Rainbow Gulch Trail

Rampart Reservoir via Rainbow Gulch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice, easy trail to hike with kids.

Beautiful!

My two friends and I took 9 children (ages 8 months to 13 years) on this trail. If your children are under 3, I would recommend a stroller or carrier of some kind. I would also recommend sunscreen. We did not make it all the way to the reservoir, but stopped just before it at an inlet that had a slower wading area where the kids had a blast. The water was cold, the rocks were fun to skip, and we stayed there about 45 min to an hour. The problems: trash. I always bring a trash bag with me and by the end of our time there, I had collected a bunch of fishing line and broken glass. ☹️ It wasn't enough for me to worry about my kids playing in the water, but I would highly recommend everyone keeps their sandals or water shoes on while wading. Overall, this was a fun way to spend 3-4 hours and my kids fell asleep within 5 minutes of our trip home. We will be back!

Very beautiful. Pretty creek along trail and plenty of gorgeous flora surrounding trail. Reservoir is less exciting as it is much lower than it once was and just plain, but good for fishing and other recreations. Also saw a bunch of butterflies and birds. Even saw a little bear on our way back. Would come back again.

This was a beautiful hike, kid friendly, and the sound of water would definitely keep me going back to this one!!!

Did part of this hike today with my 10 week old puppy. Very nice. Good starter trail as it’s relatively flat and my puppy doesn’t have a lot of stamina yet. Lots of aspen, partial shade, and a pretty quick moving creek.

Loved the walk along the running creek. Beautiful scenery.

Easy and flat trail. My dog loved playing in the water. Good for young kids, elderly, and strollers. Does get a bit busy at peak times. Not the best views out of some others in the area but definitely one of the easiest.

Easy trail for us older folks. Through forest, next to creek and around a portion of the reservoir. Great half day hike.

This trail is absolutely gorgeous! It was snowing pretty steady the whole time I was on the trail and it was literally like strolling through a hallmark card. I would recommend this trail to anyone who loves a steady trail and great views. I will definitely be doing this trail again and again!

Long but easy. Wide trail. Beautiful scenery. Follows a gorgeous creek for a while and ends at a lake. Fishing allowed. Saw a lot of families.

Wide trail and very dog friendly. Not difficult, completed in a few hours. Reservoir was pretty and there were many places to throw a stick for the dog. Will do again.

Loved this walk.... was beautiful....took it after I got off work and still managed to get halfway around the lake....

I take this trail regularly during the summer and fall. It's my go to running trail. Smooth path with some ups and downs but nothing too crazy. Nice run with amazing views in high altitude, can't get much better.

Beautiful trail. Can make it with a sport stroller a fair distance.

Really pretty. Easy for Seniors like us, and four legged buddy “Bo”

Great hike.
Seen plenty of fish caught,and elk and bear tracks near end where it opens up.

Nice easy hike for beginners. Lots of bikers and families.

super easy hike. pretty level, no noticeable elevation gain. gorgeous views. the aspens are a little past peak but completly worth it. I'm going to hike it again for sure.

Beautiful, easy hike. Great for kids, dogs, beginning hikers. Plenty of wild flowers. Gorgeous walk beside a creek, with a reservoir at the end. Walk as far as you want along the side of the reservoir. Very pretty.

Nice quick trial that isn't too difficult and has lots of great views. As soon as you hit the running water you will be faced with a left path and a right path, go left for a nice easy walk and right for a bit more of a challenge. Was the only one on the trail at 7 am.

Super easy trail with alot of great scenery. There is also a trail that breaks away leading to a teepee.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

One of my favorite places on earth. So beautiful

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great hike for my pups and I. Not too crowded and a ton of wild flowers. Will do it again for sure.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

loved it! we got to the lake and my dog had so much fun swimming!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Breathtaking hike my dogs had so much fun.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Nice light hike. Plenty of side trails and views.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Definitely a wonderful walk, beautiful views and not a ton of people. Earlier in the day is better.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

What pretty trail. Loved the water, boulders and destination of the reservoir. This was a great hike just right for us, our dog and 4 kids under 7.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

very nice hike it took us 2 hours to do it and it was about 3.36 miles total. not a hard hike at all.