Rampart Reservoir Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(204)
Pike National Forest

Rampart Reservoir Trail is a 13.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.2 miles Elevation Gain: 928 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

As of May 2020, the dam parking area is closed. Where the water is as blue as the Colorado sky! If you'd like a day at the lake in Central Colorado, this is the place to go. If you like to hike and/or to fish, this is the place to go. Rampart Reservoir rests on a granite plateau at 9000 ft of elevation, about 10 miles northwest of Colorado Springs and 4 miles east of Woodland Park. It is one of the favorite fishing, hiking, biking, and picnicking areas in the region. Reaching the trail around the reservoir from the Rainbow Gulch trailhead is the perfect way to add a beautiful stream-side trek and avoid the parking hassles at the dam end of the reservoir. The trail from the trailhead to the lake, around the lake, and back is approximately 16 miles long. You will not experience a significant elevation gain at any one point, but because the lake was formed where 12 different streams flowed into West Monument Creek, you will climb at least a dozen different ridges as you work your way around the lake.

closed

simple, closed gate

So beautiful! Moderately easy trail but definitely longer than 13 miles. I tracked it at a little more than 17, but 17 consistent miles. Not much change in elevation as you circle the water. Completely dry and perfect conditions! Hiked in boots but I recommend trail runners or lighter hiking shoes. The terrain isn’t super complex. Great for trail running and mountain biking. Got there around 6:30am and there were a few hikers and bikers. Mostly fishers. But when I left around 12pm the lot was overflowing and the mouth of the reservoir was packed with fishers, so I suggest getting there early.

This was longer than advertised. We enjoyed it, but it was difficult at the end. We went clockwise. Dam parking area was closed.

closed

Great trail. Easy to get off the main trail though and the north side is pretty snowy/slushy.

Pretty trail. Still quite a bit of snow on the north side of the reservoir. Straight forward stroll type trail.

icy

This turned out to be ~15 miles FYI. After the split, there was 1 pair of footprints to follow for the first half until the other parking lot on the far side then I was blazing my own trail for the final 5 or so miles. Deep & heavy snow, sinking to my knees/hips on many steps. Was very tired by the end of it.

icy

What a hike! Stunning views of Pike's Peak!! Trail was snowy - wear some good boots. This trail is more like 15 miles, so you may want to plan accordingly. We did the trail clockwise, which gave great views.

icy

Beautiful day for a winter hike on 2/1/2020. We ended up doing the entire loop and it was just over 15 miles. Start this one early as it took us about 10.5 hours. The views of Pikes Peak are second to none. Absolutely stunning!

This trail is every bit of a 5 star rating, and with the snow that was on the ground today I would give it a 6th star. I spoke with two guys that had just finished running a lap and they had measured 14.4 & 14.5 miles.

Awesome hike!!

This is a great trail , we started from the campground and went around the lake,it ended up being 12.2 miles .

Extremely beautiful! My sister and I did the 11.8 mile hike and it wasn't shy of a good workout! Good inclines and declines, various wild life and flowers / mushrooms and it ranges from mossy wet areas to dry hot ones. Love it, love it LOVE IT!!

What a beautiful 12 mile loop around reservoir from Raspberry Gulch. Wild raspberries, mushrooms (aspen orange cap) and wild flowers everywhere. While the beginning few miles and last few miles of trail are gentle single track mtn biking, the majority of the middle 6 miles is for advanced technical mtn biking skills. Which I do have not! But managed to maneuver bike (upright, rear wheel first, using rear brake to control) walk through difficult sections. several 10 foot plus drops and inclines between and over boulders. Overall, trail in excellent condition. Looking forward to hiking this.

Started at Rainbow Gulch and took the south fork to do the loop. Met a mountain biker who brought his chainsaw to clear the trail. With this years snowmelt, the water level has risen quite fast - you can see some wildflowers on the northern shore sitting underwater while well into their bloom. Some parts of the trail are even covered with water, however these spots are flat areas and easily traversable. Trail condition is in great shape!

Today it was overcast, and a little chilly - 32 degrees early and climbed to low 40s, which probably explains why I never met another hiker on the trail today. the solitude was incredible - only a half dozen cyclists or so, and a couple of fishing boats. I am a novice hiker, and I struggle at altitude. This hike, between the distance and being at 9,000 feet, put me at my threshold. One note - I followed the directions on Alltrails, which directed me to park on Rampart. If you park here,the complete circuit around the lake will be 15.5 miles. This was a couple of miles longer than I expected - and as I said, I was already at my threshhold. If you want to cut off a couple of miles, you need to park near the dam. I really enjoyed the hike, with the exception that I was ready for it to be over with a couple of miles earlier.

Mon Jun 03 2019

Love this trail! It's easy but long, with small rolling hills, and always beautiful views of the reservoir. The res was full yesterday, and we saw ducks and geese swimming around, and lots of people fishing. There are a handful of downed trees you have to climb over or go around, and one little stream crossing still ice-covered, but nothing strenuous. The only negative was a group of picnickers who were smoking pot and playing the radio loudly, but once you passed them, it was nice and peaceful.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Awesome trail with minimal incline. Did the whole 13.2 and the views of Pikes Peak on the east side of loop are incredible. Loved it!

Tue May 28 2019

Rampart Reservoir is my favorite place in the world and the trail definitely rivals kayaking here.

Sat May 25 2019

Biked this trail several years ago and it was fantastic! Bring plenty of water! We ran out halfway through the trail and didn’t want to drink the lake water so we were quite thirsty when we got back to the car.

Mon May 13 2019

Came here Saturday afternoon/evening and did only a portion of the trail before dusk forced us to turn around. First impressions are important, and this lake was an amazing walking through snowfall. Serene, quiet, and with the trail in great condition. I’ll be returning soon to do this one properly. 10/10 would enjoy the peace again.