Rampart Reservoir Trail

Rampart Reservoir Trail is a 13.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Where the water is as blue as the Colorado sky! If you'd like a day at the lake in Central Colorado, this is the place to go. If you like to hike and/or to fish, this is the place to go. Rampart Reservoir rests on a granite plateau at 9000 ft of elevation, about 10 miles northwest of Colorado Springs and 4 miles east of Woodland Park. It is one of the favorite fishing, hiking, biking, and picnicking areas in the region. I like to hike, and I don't like crowds. So I discovered that reaching the trail around the reservoir from the Rainbow Gulch trailhead is the perfect way to add a beautiful stream-side trek and avoid the parking hassles at the dam end of the reservoir. The trail from the trailhead to the lake, around the lake, and back is approximately 16 miles long. It took be about 6 hours to negotiate the entire route. You will not experience a significant elevation gain at any one point, but because the lake was formed where 12 different streams flowed into West Monument Creek, you will climb at least a dozen different ridges as you work your way around the lake.

Long hike if you take rainbow gulch up, our feet were definitely sore. Would be a great mountain bike ride.

One of my favorite hikes to take the dogs. Never too busy, and beautiful year round!! I almost like the trail up to the reservoir more than the actual loop! 5 stars!

Combine with Rainbow Gulch. Great treck in!

great hike beautiful scenery!

Beautiful hike coming from Woodland Park. We have not hiked around the whole trail because we have a dog that can't. So we have only seen the trail from one side.

Extremely scenic.
Not much elevation gain... but the views are awesome.

Awesome... Saw Bikers and a few fishermen. Took our time hiked a total of 14.5 miles in 7 hours.

I loved it. I went the 15 mile loop around the reservoir and it was pretty, varied and simple to follow. Great training loop. Very runnable.

Great trail !! Did the whole loop with very little incline . Hiked it on a sunny day with beautiful views of the water and mountains . Stunning!! Mostly saw mountain bikers , couple trail runners, and 2 other hikers . Not overly populated on the trail which I like a lot. Loved this trail a lot more than Barr Trail d/t views and less people . Did it while Hubby fished .

This used to be one my local favorites for close mountain biking, still a fun loop but way to crowded.
The Mackinaw trail on Pikes Peak is much more secluded with similar views.

Challenging but fun!